Thread: A followup on Guns in National Parks

A followup on Guns in National Parks

I'm adding this thread to our "news and polls archive" for historical reference.

Carry in National Parks (in accordance with the laws of the state in which the park resides) has been the law of the land since Feb 22, 2010

This recent Washington Post article has a comment on what has happened in the past two months. (Emphasis and ED comments added by me.)

Questions for Jon Jarvis, director of the National Park Service

Monday, April 19, 2010; A13

The National Park Service celebrates National Park Week this week by waiving entrance fees at the nation's 392 national parks. National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis discusses the program, the new law allowing guns in parks and his 34-year career with the agency.

QWhy are parks free this week?

It's an invitation to the American public to come visit their national parks. . . . It's a great celebration and opportunity to reacquaint with our parks.

The week of festivities is also tied to the 40th anniversary of Earth Day?

Earth Day is Thursday, April 22. There are over 300 [events] across the country. We have some events right here in D.C. around the Washington Monument. We have about 600 kids coming in to participate in a range of activities.

How much will the fee waiver cost the Park Service in lost revenue?

A little less than $1 million a day, so about $9 million total.

Is it worth the cost?

Absolutely. Our fee program is a great program, because we use it specifically to improve facilities for the visitors. . . . But occasionally, it's important to waive this fee. We'll do it again in August. The fee program is only a supplement to the regular appropriations we get from Congress to operate the National Park system.

How are overall visits to the parks going this year?

It's up. We got a bump last year, about 4 percent, or 287 million last year. We'll probably hit 290 million this year.

[ED: So "guns in parks" haven't actually scared everyone away?]

I think it's always hard to exactly pin down why visitation goes up or down. A lot of it is tied to the economy and you can probably give some credit to the Ken Burns series ["The National Parks: America's Best Idea" on PBS] in drawing some attention to the National Park system. You can give some credit to the economy and folks who couldn't afford to go to Europe, so they're reengaging with great places here in the United States.

Guns are now permitted on the grounds of many parks, depending on state firearms laws. Have there been any incidents and how have park staffers adjusted to the new laws?

There've been organizations that have come to the parks to demonstrate their new rights to carry, and we've been very professional in their rights to carry. But no incidents out of the ordinary.

We ensured that citizens were expected to know their rights whether or not they're in compliance with state rights, and our employees are well prepared with training. And sites where guns are prohibited are well signed so that the public do not bring their weapons into those. I think it's frankly worked out pretty well so far.
    [Protesters plan to bring their guns to a "Restore the Constitution" rally Monday at Fort Hunt and Gravelly Point parks on the banks of the Potomac River.]

[ED: What, no "Wild West"? No "Blood running on the trails"?]

>>>>>snip<<<<<<<<

-- Interview by Ed O'Keefe
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Administrator   
    Nope, big surprise. Thanks for the article.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Thank you for this report.Mr. Jon Jarvis was quite fair and balanced,IMO!

Reading this now has motivated me to dig out my Golden Age Passport and head for Everglades National Park for free,carrying my trusty Glock 36 of course.

BTW,while in wonderful New Mexico 2 weeks ago,I OC'ed in Chaco Culture and Pecos National Parks without incident or comment.
    Everything is working out as we expected.The public is learning it has nothing to fear from the good guys and that development seems to be sinking in to the Park officials.

Anything can happen of course but NP carry should be here to stay.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973