Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneasy Parents, dislike guns in the home.

Sounds to me like you did the right thing, being honest about your desire to own a gun and also your respect for his property rights. Sounds like he appreciated your approach.

Now the ball's in his court. But while it is, perhaps there's a way to tip the odds in your favor.

"Dad, I know that you've had some real concerns about having a firearm in the house, and I think I could address them to some extent by purchasing a secure lock box before I purchase a gun. I'd bolt it to the wall and floor of my closet, and the gun would live there locked up whenever I wasn't home. Hey, maybe mom would like to lock her diamond jewelry up when you go out of town..."

Or promise him man to man that you'll never handle the gun after intaking any alcohol. Or whatever. I'm saying, address the source of his concerns if you can.

And when you have your own place, you can demand that any visitor bring a gun to show you...

Parker

If you're moving out in a few months, the whole issue will not matter. Why broach the subject now and rock the boat?

MrOneTwo
    Uneasy Parents, dislike guns in the home.
    "With great power, there must also come great responsibility." - Stan Lee

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Thanks catspa, my mom doesn't have expensive diamond jewelry - she doesn't care for them. Lol. Also, Onward Allusion, it seems you only read my first post and responded based off what you said. It seems like the situation has resolved in my favor, I just need to ask him if he's reached a conclusion this week.

Thanks again so far.

MrOneTwo

The "ten commandments" comes to mind for many who are answering

I recently had a child, and I'm the gun guy in the house; and my wife didn't care one way or the other; but yesterday; she said that she thinks I should keep a LOADED gun in the bedroom..

Having a child and wanting to do what's right by them and by their safety changes a man..

So my first question is, do you have kids?

I always think the "I'm going to be a dad, man of the house" speech works.. As a libertarian, that's something I always recommend.

If you are not a dad yet; then the "I would like to learn how to use a firearm properly, so when I am a husband/father, I will have the ability to protect myself and my family the RIGHT WAY.. and the RESPONSIBLE WAY." And then you can slide in, "You don't need to own a gun, you don't need to want a gun in the house.. but I would love for you to take shooting classes with me FOR ME.. so I have a partner to do this with while I learn..and it would be great bonding time.."

A lot of RKBA'ers recommend everybody own a gun. I don't. If you don't know how to operate one, you shouldn't be keeping a loaded one. I also think that a gun is not the right item for everybody; and so I always highly recommend asking gun owning friends to take you out for a spin until such time you can or with their assistance, you can pick out a gun that fits you.

Or you can go the slightly more innocent route; and buy a BB or pellet gun, so you can shoot in the backyard.. a Red Ryder is great! I don't think most would object to plinking in the backyard with a BB gun. And slowly work your way up the gun foodchain.. Just my 2 cents.. Hope it all works out for you!
    Не умеете, научим. Не хотите, заставим!

Loaded guns need to be locked up, in a safe that has a key pad I believe...
    When children are in the house, or coming and visiting...Law in CA...

Only gets enforced when something that should not have happened, did

To many have met their waterloo, because of loaded and in a drawer...

Regards

that doesn't have much to do with the OP, Harley

And a discussion of asinine CA laws has very little to do with keeping a firearm in someone else's home.

If you want an analysis of the stupid gun-lock laws, maybe start your own thread?

Regards
    DON'T PANIC

Hi BFD,
    I was answering another (twoblink) about his thoughts on having a loaded gun around the house...

Your thoughts are interesting...
    I like your post and choice of smilies...Lots of information there...

Regards

Feel free to keep yours locked. I raised 4 kids in a house full of firearms, as I was raised. No AD's - but there WAS a BG that got handed his needin's one night...

Well that is good, maybe you can let us know about it...No profile dude...

I raised children in a house where I kept a loaded firearm also...

The law today is pretty tough in CA regarding the loaded and they have gone to the extent of selling with locks...

Many get ugly and bad mouth CA and others who are law abiding
    Those who spout it, really show their contempt for laws, if that is the truth, I doubt to believe them much...

Regards

Well crap… the CA BATFE came through while I was out and confiscated all my evil hi-cap mags along with every unlocked gun, so I guess you were right Harley!
    DON'T PANIC

MrOneTwo, just wait until you move into your own place; you absolutely should respect the rules of your father's house, no matter how irrational in this case. When you do move out, get some new toys, and invite him along to try them out; it's the best you can do.

Didn't know I needed to have a profile to validate my thoughts/opinions/ideas. I'm law-abiding - and frankly don't much care how CA does things - just don't expect ME to conform to a law that could put me at a distinct disadvantage if I suddenly needed a firearm, and had to unlock it first.
    Each of us has to decide what the level of "safety" should be for our homes/persons. It's not up to you or some state to decide that.

my father has had a bad experience as a child with a gun. His father came home drunk with a gun and didn't recognize his own son and my father kept backing up until he fell out of a window.
    Sounds like he had a problem with a drunk father, and rather than hate what the father did (the sin), it was easier to cope with transferring the hate to guns because the alternate was hating the father (the sinner).
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Smile Good luck with good advice

MrOneTwo - congratulations on your respect for your father's wishes. Your tactics on your birthday were "spot on"!
    As for your dad's lack of hobbies, have you ever considered "competitive shooting" like benchrest or trap/skeet? Steel silhouette is more action and fun than paper targets and a little .22 LR isn't noisy and doesn't kick like a shotgun and trap does.
    You may not see this as this thread is a bit old, but it seemed like a good idea.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Has your dad given you permission to store one in his house?

Have you moved out and bought your gun yet?

Loaded guns need to be locked up, in a safe that has a key pad I believe...
    When children are in the house, or coming and visiting...Law in CA...

Only gets enforced when something that should not have happened, did

To many have met their waterloo, because of loaded and in a drawer...
    Copied from #31

Too bad more parents that are worried about guns and their kids handling/finding one, dont insist on some gun training--maybe Eddie Eagle. I have not heard Eddie pushed for a couple years. I wonder if he died-I guess so.

MrOneTwo,

Don't mind the 'grow up' remarks. It's part and parcel to admitting you are in your twenties on a firearms board.

Older people are not likely to change their minds without extreme motivation. Many won't with extreme motivation. From the sounds of you only have a couple months left and you live with whatever objects you please. In the meanwhile plan your purchases and storage options. I'm not familiar with Berwyn but most of the burbs have weird ordinances regarding possession and storage. Take the time to become familiar with them.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy being able to pursue your hobby.

Interesting.

My father was shot by his brother when they were teens. His brother had taken my grandpa's Chief's Special and shot him in the torso, with intent to kill.

When I was a tot, I pulled a handgun out from under my grandpa's couch. My father took it from me and my grandfather said, "Ach, it's not loaded."

Sure enough there was a round chambered.

Anyways, my father is not anti-gun because of his experiences.

Is that even on topic?

Must have been some interesting family discussions about that.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.