Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mare's Leg:Rossi Ranch Hand lever action pistol?

Mare's Leg:Rossi Ranch Hand lever action pistol?

I ran across an advertisement for a new contraption: Rossi cut down a lever action pistol caliber carbine and is selling it as a pistol. It's called the Ranch Hand and it's running a little over $400. It's not on their website yet but it's listed for sale a few places. I keep thinking of Zoe from Firefly.
    6 rounds of .357 magnum, .44 magnum, or .45 Colt. Cool gun or just oversized revolver? Anybody have one? Anybody interested in one? I haven't decided yet.
    Everybody spread love

I see a lot of questions about such guns, and a lot of opinions regarding them … but never a range report.
    DON'T PANIC

Firefly only recycled a very old prop gun from the '50s TV series "Wanted: Dead or Alive". Pics:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=25195

A gunsmith name of Jim Buchannon (sp?) at JB Custom got ahold of some previously unused Winchester '94 receivers, and realized that with his handgun manufacturing license he could build them and sell them as handguns since they had never been rifles. That in turn meant no extra federal paperwork or $200 tax, and they'd be legal in almost all states. At first he wanted $3k a piece for 'em, but quickly dropped to about half that for the next batch built on '92 receivers..

The next ones came out of Italy's Armi Chiappa by way of the Legacy "Puma" brand name. Those go for a grand.

Rossi is therefore the third, newest and cheapest source for these weird critters.

As to their utility...on the plus side, a 12" barrel and handgun calibers means the ballistics should rock. Leverguns do have an interesting tactical advantage over revolvers (or most anything else in some ways) in that they can be topped up at any time, or new ammo of a different type can be slammed in there and used "next" if what's in the gun now isn't working out.

I found one youtube of a guy shooting one, appears to be the 2nd gen JB version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5E_N7X8a-E

Most if not all appear to retain the butt configuration from the original TV series, which is actually longer than it needs to be...you could shave it further off the rear with no legal or practical problems. (A few of these variants appear to be to have enough "vestigial buttstock" remaining to cause possibly some cops to call it a "shoulder stock".)

If you were going to fire it from the hip, a laser starts to make sense . I'd probably also put a scout scope on it.

Too cool for words...but...not REALLY that practical. Might make sense for hunting in some cases...you could use hotter variants of 357Mag ammo fr'instance and really put some heat on 'em with a 12" tube. Might be able to break 1,000ft/lbs energy...
    Jim March
    TFL Alumnus
    Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
    http://www.equalccw.com
    Airplane Pictures

With a laser and 'Rifleman' folding trigger tab one of those WOULD be a lot of fun to run ammo through.

A little to Hollywoody for me. Should have been buried with Steve McQueen.

30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
    I want one, just for the fun factor!
    So... where ARE we going, and why ARE we in this handbasket?

formerly known as Hunter Rose

No Child Should Live In Fear
    Airplane Pictures

Me too, hopefully they will make one in rimfire, I can kill paper and plinking targets just as dead for cheap if they do ... I can't see stocking a new expensive caliber solely for a toy, at least not yet.
    Maybe Henry will jump on the bandwagon? My Lever Carbine (H001L) would be a great starting point for a mare's leg.
    DON'T PANIC

I would love to have one, though I'd prefer it in the "original" .44-40 (.45 Colt's not bad, though), and it needs a little more trimming off the stock. But it won't get past the AG's approved firearms list here.

With a laser and 'Rifleman' folding trigger tab one of those WOULD be a lot of fun to run ammo through.
    True but it would not be true to the original "rifleman" weapon. This is what the toy reproductions had but the prop guns in the show used a machine screw through the lever to trip the trigger. Must have needed some special manipulation skills to spin cock the rifle without a N.D.

Joe

I gave up trying to justify every purchase a while back. Now "because it's cool" is an acceptable reason.

I shot one of these years ago, and it was fun. As others have mentioned, the .357 and .44 loadings take on new life out of a longer barrel.
    "I believe in .44 Special the way some folks believe in Elvis." --Michael Bane

I'm getting one in .44. Does anyone know when they'll be available to buy?
    MOLON LABE!

Nice review in the latest "American Rifleman." Featured on the cover.
    "If you want to shoot...shoot...don't talk." Tuco

Does anyone know when they'll be available to buy?

Supposedly the end of the year.

Check the website for more information...

http://www.rossiusa.com/

I think someone cut off the stock originally, to strap to a broken human leg...

Mares leg

I have a winchester 94 44mag Ranger ranch rifle. Mfg.in 2005, never been fired. Will put a couple of rounds through it when I can get it from my wife.

I must say: it makes me yearn for a simpler time when a man could buy a rifle, decide he needed it shorter, bring it to a smith (or just get out a woodsaw and a hacksaw), and there you go.

Started out as a "deadly weapon," and now it's still a deadly weapon. Today, of course, it would be a super-deadly, wlelcome-to-the-penitentiary SBR--whereas the Rossi Mare's Leg is just a pistol.

Makes me feel evil just typing that: SBR!

This gun is for fans of the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" or "Firefly" series (and there's enough of us out here to make a niche market). Otherwise there is really not much practical value. By the way, Zoe in "Firefly" used both the "Mare's Leg" and a full size lever action rifle.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

As long as Rossi is making slightly impractical but cool guns, I'd like to see a 12in double barreled pistol in some caliburs like 44mag/44spl 357/38spl and 45lc/.410. Then maybe 454 Casull just for sheer giggles.

"Howdah" you like that idea?

I keep trying to figure out what it would do that a trapper length lever rifle couldn't....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

all i know is i want one!

They are wicked cool. However, since it only holds 6 rounds I would just as soon use my Ruger .44 with it's 10in barrel.

Now if they could trim it down a bit and extend the mag full length to hold a few more I would find it more useful.
    "He who dares wins."
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

I keep trying to figure out what it would do that a trapper length lever rifle couldn't....
    Miss with style.

I've never even seen "Wanted Dead or Alive" or "Firefly", but I'd love to have one. Same reason I want a 500 S&W magnum. Because I think it's cool.

Recapture the thrill of unrealistic westerns from your childhood for $400. Sounds like a good deal to me.
    -"Who's that jerk who calls himself GoWolfpack?"

-"I'm that Jerk!"

Wanted Dead or Alive ran 1958 to 1961 and was not the only TV series in that time frame with a western hero toting a gimmick gun.

Johnny Yuma (NickAdams), The Rebel 1959-1961, carried another gimmick gun, a 10 ga double barrel with the barrel and stock sawn-off (the butt was a large rounded bulb shape that counterbalanced the weight of the barrel and was slotted for a leather sling).

Lucas McCain (Chuck Connors), The Rifleman 1958-1963, had a lever action carbine with a set screw to trip the trigger as the lever was closed (kinda like a hellfire switch for a lever gun).

And of course, Paladin (Richard Boone), Have Gun - Will Travel 1957-1963, had a Remington Derringer as a backup gun.

I recall reading Steve McQueen actually trained with his with a firearms instructor doing instinctive point shooting (the "Wanted Dead or Alive" version had no sights, check out the photos from the original series). Yes, you can shoot with one; was it any better or worse than a pistol? McQueen would rather have used a Colt SAA for practicality.

Any one of those guns would be a cool collectible or range toy (altho' some ranges bar NFA firearms). Whether they would be useful as serious weapons is another thing entirely.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Here's a write up I did on my Mare's Leg.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/...mares-leg.html

This gun is for fans of the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" or "Firefly" series (and there's enough of us out here to make a niche market). Otherwise there is really not much practical value.
    I dunno. A .357 magnum out of a 12" barrel might make a mess of someone. Throw in a much longer sight radius than a normal pistol and it has some possibilities. Just 'cause it ain't "tactical"...
    Everybody spread love