Thread: Modern bolt action 45-70?

Modern bolt action 45-70?

It just occurred to me I've never come across a modern made bolt action rifle in 45-70.

Can any one refer me to a manufacturer?

Thanks,
    Jim

Well, according to google, a re-chambered Enfield is about as close as you are going to get.

Is that a modern rifle? Kinda depends on what your definition of "Modern" is, doesn't it?

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/lis...mnum=955571626

This looks like fun, doesn't it? It's downright amazing what you'll find when you start searching the internet!

Found her here- http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temNum=7270228

Gibbs Rifle Co. made a few 45/70 conversions of the Enfield Mk4 rifle. But i don't believe that they are in business anymore.

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas

I built my 45/70 bolt gun from a Siamese Mauser action.
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

These guys do conversions of enfields as well. I've also seen a couple of Mosins converted. Commercially I think you may be out of luck. It appears to be a one off or custom request. I've considered getting a Mosin and Enfield done. Just not enough time or resources.

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/

"...never come across a modern made bolt action rifle in 45-70..." You won't either. No demand.
    Gibb's is still in business, but they don't bubba No. 4 Lee-Enfields any more. They're busy making fake 1903A4's out of DP'd rifles.

I considered this too, got a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. If I want a 45 caliber bolt rifle I will get one of the .458 mags and download to 45-70 power levels. That will give everything the 45-70 can give and a wee bit more if desired. You would want to hand load.
    Last edited by solvability; August 1st, 2010 at 10:34 PM.

Because the only thing that could possibly make the SMLE any cooler is more recoil!
    Don Gwinn: Chicago Gun Rights Examiner

I had a friend of mine years ago who converted a Siamese Mauser to 45-70. Said it was a fairly easy project and that the rifle would handle stout hand loads. He called it his "stump roller".

bolt action beauty

"F-Frank:"

Your'e going to give me a heart attack, and it's not the rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.

May be I'll have to go with the Marlin 1895G or Ruger single shot -if I could afford it.

The Marlin is quite accurate - takes heavy loads and you can make fast follow up shots - you give up very little with that cartridge in a lever over a bolt gun. I like mine.

There is not a factory production bolt action .45-70 as there is no demand for it.

It takes a LOT of work to make a bolt action feed a rimmed cartridge, even more when it is a big, fat rimmed cartridge.

The Enfield conversions (Gibbs made a bunch on the No. 1 Mk. III action also) and the few Mosin-Nagant conversions are notable for being done on rifles that are ALL READY set up for handling rimmed cartridges. Same deal with the Siamese Mauser, set up to handle a rimmed cartridge, nearly the ONLY Mauser action that was so set up.

Your other choices would be the Remington-Lees and some Winchester-Hotchkiss (I think I have them right, it is from memory) from the turn of the century. The US Navy issued a .45-70 Remington Lee for some time.

Buckshot