Thread: Mossberg 500 upgrades

Mossberg 500 upgrades

I have a Mossberg 500 12ga that I love. I am considering a pistol grip buttstock and foregrip for it. Can anyone recommend a quality product at a good price?

I like the Speedfeed stock, it allows the storage of 4 rounds in the buttstock that are easily accessible.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. - The Declaration of Independance

I like the ATI top folding stock. Folds and unfolds very quickly, is plenty sturdy for "sluggers", holds extra 5 -10 shells depending on how many shellholders you screw on. The stoks go for around $60, and ATI (last I knew) offered free shipping.

I tried one of those ATI top-folding stocks. I found the angle wrong and was VERY uncomfortable to shoot with a proper cheekweld.

I'd recommend the Speedfeed stock like Absintheur has, or what I went with, the ATI M4 style stock and a receiver side mount 6 shell holder. I've heard stories of these ATI stocks like mine collapsing under recoil but I've never had it happen. Also, ATI sells a spacer for these that re-aligns the stock angle, it's pretty much required with these if you have a bead sight.

I've never bothered to change a foreend out.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Anyone tried the Butler Creek side-folder that holds a couple of extra rounds? I saw one for an 870, and think they make 'em for the Mossberg, too. Just wondered about felt recoil & the durability of the unit under 12 gauge recoil.

I like my ATI top folder. it actually seems very solid and deploys pretty quickly. The recoil with 3" is like getting punched pretty hard in the shoulder but with a normal load it''s not bad. You might not want it for every day use, but it's on my HD gun and I see no problems with it.

I upgraded mine with a Surefire forend light, and a Hogue "entry length" buttstock. The short length buttstock is even shorter than their youth stock and is designed to be used by those wearing body armor - or by those that just want a really short stock. Other than that, I put a safety on it with a large button, and a orange polymer follower on the spring. I bought a few extra magazine springs and that's it.

It is a HD shotgun that is loaded with 2 slugs, followed by 2 #00 buck, followed by 2 #4 Buck. I figure the earlier shots might have to be longer, so I have the longest distance ammo first, followed but closer range stuff, ending up with "the zombie is right on top of me" #4 buck.

Last edited by WhisperFan; March 27th, 2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Photo added

If you want short, look up one of the bullpup kits that Mossburg made for the 500 several years ago. Very cool.

-Boxcab

Boxcab: Those are way too cool, but almost non-existent in shops. In the past ten years I saw only one, and it was more money than I would pay for a Mossy.

Absintheur, When you add the magazine extension, do you need a special barrel? or customize the 28 inch vent rib?
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    -Adlai Stevenson

The shotgun he has is a 930, which CAN have extensions installed.

The 500 CANNOT. To extend the magazine, you have to buy a whole magazine tube, magazine spring, and a barrel specific to the capacity. By the end of it, you could have just bought another Mossberg with an extended magazine stock.

I have a Knoxx SpecOps on my 590, and I really like the way it handles recoil. The adjustable length is nice, too, just need a little pad on top for a better cheek weld.
    "People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society." Marko - http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.co...-plagiarizing/

Mossberg 590

my mossberg 590
    Attached Images Attached Images

mossberg 590

more of the mossber with the barrel mounted flashlight and laser
    Attached Images Attached Images

OP,

Suggest you handle one first. While great for shooting, allot of people over look the fact that moving your thumb to disengage the safety is effected by the pistol grip.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Administrator   
    Yep I haven't got one for that reason.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Suggest you handle one first. While great for shooting, allot of people over look the fact that moving your thumb to disengage the safety is effected by the pistol grip.
    That's why I went with the Maverick 88. The safety is in the right place to not have to change your grip. I was never a fan of the Mossy tang mounted safeties.

Yep I haven't got one for that reason.
    Whew, glad that I read this.

I was about to buy one, and never thought of the safety position.

Thanks!

Jamie
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Jamie,

Maverick is made by Mossberg (some say in Mexico???) and is almost identical to the model 500, other than the front grip, the trigger assembly, and maybe a few more minor things. The safety on the Maverick is located on the trigger group, that is just like Ruger 10/22. Easy to reach and operate with trigger finger. (I leave mine off)

I bought mine new for around 200, had some trigger issue after a few hundred rounds, sent it off to Mossy and received it back with complete new trigger assembly (shipping paid by them).
    It has been flawless with all sorts of ammo and super reliable since. The receiver is aluminum (black) and the rest is blued. Bluing, as in most inexpensive shotguns, is not the most lasting, but it works. I'll be refinishing mine in Brownells' Aluma-Hyde II, as soon as it is warm enough to cure properly.
    Most Mossy 500 aftermarket accessories fit.

All i ever do with my 500s and 590s is replace the ugly polymer stocks with some beautiful wood replacements. I also add a shell holder to the stock for extra ammo... I find thats all i need in any shot gun. No fancy dancy pistol grip crap...

I never put mine on safety. Empty chamber is how I roll, I want to rack the first one in at night, give someone the chance to get out. I hate the expenses involved in going to court.

I bought the knoxx spec ops, and i like it alot. Makes it kick about as much as my 20ga.

For other upgrades, maybe a TacStar Side Saddle? I like mine.. I had to cut a small chunk from my fore end to make it work. Mine was plastic, but cut right it still looks nice and like it was meant to be that way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tacstar-Side-Sad...item2eaebde888

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=182832940

Also, idk what other people might think about this, but I taped up the barrel and painted a silver line 1 inch from the receiver to 1 inch from the bead. I haven't trained with the shotgun as much as I'd like, but the line seems to help me when I shoulder and present.
    God gave you a mind.
    Your parents gave you a body.
    The Marine Corps gave you a rifle.
    Keep them all clean.