Thread: VX-3 3.5-10x40mm Windage and Elevation Adjustment Specs

Question VX-3 3.5-10x40mm Windage and Elevation Adjustment Specs

According to the Leupold web site, the VX-3 3.5-10x40mm has 58 MOA of windage and elevation adjustment:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...3-3-5-10x40mm/

(See under "Specs" tab)

With the scope in my hands I count 185 clicks of elevation adjustment and 244 clicks of windage adjustment. Each click represents 1/4 MOA so that equals approximately 46 MOA and 61 MOA respectively.

Why does the adjustment in terms of clicks not equal Leupold's published specifications? Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Interesting! Sometimes the '1/4 MOA' adjustments aren't exactly that, though Leupold should be better than many in that respect. And, the elevation mechanism might have a bit thicker end stops than spec which is robbing you of a little travel.

Only practical way to really check the thing is to shoot it and see just what the clicks are worth. I've seen Chinese made scopes with clicks that were WAY off from advertised, and another one with 1/8 clicks on the windage and 1/4 on the elevation.

Does it really affect the scope on your rifle if it is short on elevation a bit? If so....I'm sure they would take it back and make it right. The scope above with the incorrect elevator installed was one of many that they built that way, but I was the only one who complained about it...so they said. They stopped production to correct the problem but left all the ones in circulation without recall, as most people mount and zero then forget the scope. As long as it can zero, most people couldn't tell you how much adjustment they have used and/or how much is left.

They seem to be giving you a rough average.

The only way it would matter to you is if you're using the scope for extreme long range and need a lot of elevation, AND you're using the center cross for aiming, as opposed to having a BDC reticle, which needs very little in the way of adjustment for range compensation. In that case you can get rings that have more elevation built into them. They're common enough, as are mounts that have more elevation built in. See any precision shooting catalog/web site.

Typically, you'll never need all the adjustment a scope has to offer unless your mounts are way off.

Did you have the windage precisely centered when you checked the number of elevation clicks? If the windage was adjusted offcenter, then the elevation range was restricted.

FAQ: "It should also be noted that if one axis is near the limit of its adjustment, there will be a reduction in the amount of adjustment on the other axis. If the elevation adjustment is near the top of the adjustment range, the windage adjustment will be reduced; if windage adjustment has been induced, there will be a reduction in elevation adjustment."

And if you don't have enough elevation adjustment available, they'll send you free shims. .001" = about 1 MOA

Well, I ran into the restricted elevation and windage putting this scope on a used Ruger 10/22. I ran out of elevation on a Rimfire Technologies 5 MOA rail at 100 yards. It surprised me so I decided to actually count the clicks. In this situation, I believe there is a problem with the rifle (barrel receiver fit possibly), but that's a separate issue.

When counting clicks, I did not have the windage precisely centered when checking elevation (though is wasn't more than perhaps 20 clicks off) but I did have the elevation precisely centered (to the click) when I checked the windage.

I think this might be something to run by Leupold. I know on my Mark 4 that one click is definitely 1 MOA and would expect the same on the VX-3. Perhaps this is just a "nominal" measurement near the center of the dials on the VX-3s. That would certainly disappoint me coming from Leupold.

Multi-gun scope choice

I have a DPMS Panther 16" barrel in .308, and .22-250 Marlin Bolt. Both are intended for medium-to-long-range varminting. I like Leupold, and am asking for the best scope, including low-light use, in price-range of $1,000. I will be swapping the one scope between the rifles, but not daily. Fans of other scope-manufacturers are invited to comment. Thanks. Pat.

A VX3 6.5-20 long-range scope with side focus is what sits on my varmint rifle.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005