• M4 AR15 with Eotech and 30 round mag

9 17.65%
  • Thompson Center .50 cal Renegade muzzel loader

1 1.96%
  • BACON!

13 25.49%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What gun for pigs?

It's 30 round magazine is going to be pretty desirable for shooting at a pack of running pigs.
    Fast Frank... I think I'd check the game laws before I took off hunting with a 30 round magazine in my gun. Most states require much smaller mags for hunting, even for predator/nuisance hunting... like pigs or coyotes.

In South Carolina, they can confiscate your guns, truck, and anything else that happens to be attached to them (such as 4-wheelers) or in them if they catch you breaking game laws... so check your game laws before you go charging off into the sunset with hi-cap mags. North and South Carolina limit you to 5 rounds.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

Kind of an old story, but a guy here with a feral hog problem reported that the .30-30 killed quicker than anything else used, including some magnums in the elk rifle category. I think he shot enough to have a good database averaging out shot location and critter size.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

was it quartered and cook for you as well .
    The funny thing is you think I'm kidding. When I was in Germany our FOs used to call for fire on the wild hogs that roamed Graf . Any time they got near the box they'd stop calling missions till they got into the box and let them have it.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

but I still want him to shoot a couple pigs with the mighty 22LR A 5.56 or 223 is over kill.
    But to some folks regular dead just aint good enough..
    Take your time... Don't live too fast,
    Troubles will come and they will pass....

Quote Originally Posted by wristtwister
    Fast Frank... I think I'd check the game laws before I took off hunting with a 30 round magazine in my gun. Most states require much smaller mags for hunting, even for predator/nuisance hunting... like pigs or coyotes.
    The only caliber restrictions Texas has are the federally mandated shotgun restrictions for migratory birds and centerfire only for large game animals. The only capacity restriction is the federal 3 round limit when hunting migratory birds.

There are no restrictions whatsoever on nongame species like feral hogs. You can take them with a .22, an AR-15, or haul out an M2 as long as you own it legally. There are Texans who hunt feral hogs with suppressed rifles and night vision. TPWD just wants as many dead hogs as possible.