+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car Gun Carry in SC Parking Lot

Car Gun Carry in SC Parking Lot

Was looking for an answer tonight and could not find it. Is it legal to have a concealed handgun in your car on private parking lot at your place of business when a sign is posted no concealable weapons allowed?

Per the law I was able to find, if sings are posted at every building entrance of a certain size as specified, concealed carry within the building is prohibited. Does this also apply to your private locked automobile in the parking lot? SC does allow a loaded handgun to be carried in the glove compartment or trunk of your car without a concealed carry permit.

I remember a case in OK with Weyerhauser as I recall where it was determined to be legal to retain a loaded gun in your car. As SC is an at will hire state, this subtle point may be moot, but is it legal to have the loaded gun in the car during working hours on private property where signs are posted against it?

I have checked the NRA-ILA site and SLED http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP site.

From this info from Handgunlaw.us it appears that the parking lot must also be posted in this fashion:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained
    in subsection (A) must be:
    (1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size;
    (2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase
    type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
    (3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line
    that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the
    horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
    (4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;
    (5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
    Section 23-31-210. Definitions as used in this article:
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Does this provision apply to autos though? My understanding was it was intended for open air markets etc.

Does this provision apply to autos though? My understanding was it was intended for open air markets etc.
    It would appear do be so after reading the Statute.IANAL however, but it does seem that a vehicle sitting in a open air parking lot would be covered(OK) UNLESS the parking lot itself was posted.

Perhaps consulting the SC AG's office or an excellent SC Firearms Attorney would be the way to go.
    Obviously there is no room for error in this scenario for you.

Bear in mind if an employer forbids it, doing so could result in your being fired, even if it is leagal.

I don't think SC has passed a law prohibiting businesses from prohibiting weapons on their premises (including vehicles in company-owned parking lots).

I do think SC should do so.

On the flip side, my employer will not be granted permission to search my vehicle.

On the flip side, my employer will not be granted permission to search my vehicle.
    I don't know about your workplace rules but at many jobs that would be grounds for dismissal. Check into any workplace rules your employer may have.

Michael

Not looking to be the test case for this situation, but am curious if anyone could shed a light on this example.

Several people HAVE shed light on it. The statute is clear. The question is: Is the parking lot posted with a sign meeting the statutory requirements?

Checked today and there are signs posted at the entrance to the parking lot.

Checked today and there are signs posted at the entrance to the parking lot.
    It appears you now have your answer if the signs meet the criteria set out in Post #2.

Never mind.

I remember a case in OK with Weyerhauser as I recall where it was determined to be legal to retain a loaded gun in your car.
    In Oklahoma a Law was enacted making it legal to keep a firearm in your vehicle in a company parking lot. You should contact your state reps about doing the same.

Okla is also an "at will" state and you can be fired for wearing the wrong colored socks or anything else they may choose to fire you for except of course reasons that are protected by law such as race, religion, sex, etc. In that case if your state were to pass such a law it would be in your best interest to not let anyone know you had one in the vehicle.

If they found out you had a firearm legally in your car they could not fire you for that but would merely make up something else to fire you for.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread