Thread: Kel-Tec PMR-30... Range Report

Kel-Tec PMR-30... Range Report

I know this is a review from a different forum, but with all the interest about the PMR-30 I though people might want to read this. If it was wrong to post this here I apologize and ask the mods to delete the thread. I just thought this would be an important read for those that want to buy the new kel-tec.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/for...ge-report.html
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".
    - Stephen Decatur Miller (May 8, 1787 March 8, 1838)

I'd be very surprised if anyone here was too peeved about linking to another forum.

Interesting review. K-T's QC sounds consistent with what I read elsewhere.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I'll get one of these in a year or so after Keltec gets the bugs more-or-less worked out. I've owned several of their guns and all of them required tinkering. The earlier in production I bought, the more tinkering (and/or a trip to the factory) required.
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Denis Diderot

I'll get one of those when I can finally find one of those to get...

Kind of like when I'll get a Kel-Tex RFB, if you catch my drift...

Forrest

That thread hasn't updated in how long now?
    5 days?!?!

I'm not buying that that account is representative of the PMR30's long-term quality. KT has been quite honest about scaling issues between prototype stage and full production, and we have a single account from someone who:
    1- took only one kind of ammo to try out a new gun
    2- took a non-recommended ammo
    3- went to a 50-yard range to start out
    4- apparently isn't willing to take a peek inside the gun to diagnose malfunctions

Not exactly an expert review, possibly a lemon gun ... not enough to condemn the design
    DON'T PANIC

Agree. When the P-11's first arrived, some had a tendency to drop the pin that holds the trigger to the rotating lever that pulls the hammer strut. It just wanted to back out and, if you didn't pay attention to it, it would come out enough to deactivate the trigger.

Not the greatest thing to have happen, but no biggie either once you know what is happening. A dab of Locktite and a tap with a suitable driver and you were back in business. I'd almost bet that we could have gotten his PMR back in the fight in short order. I'm not letting that review deter me from snagging the first one I see on the shelves around here.

KelTec recommended "CCI and Winchester Super X" for the autoloader.

That's practically all I buy for my Savage 63 bolt action and Taurus pump in .22 magnum. Not a big deal to buy premium, but it would be nice if it ran on regular octane.

My stepdad had one of the early .22 Magnum pistols (I think it was AutoMag or AMT) but he bought it as a collectible or investment not as a shooter.

.22 Magnum is hard to make a semi-auto rifle around (see Ruger and Marlin's attempts); it is even harder to build a pistol for it.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

I have a Grendel P-30.

It's a blast to shoot, both literally and figuratively...

Forrest

That thread hasn't updated in how long now?
    5 days?!?!

I'm not buying that that account is representative of the PMR30's long-term quality. KT has been quite honest about scaling issues between prototype stage and full production, and we have a single account from someone who:
    1- took only one kind of ammo to try out a new gun
    2- took a non-recommended ammo
    3- went to a 50-yard range to start out
    4- apparently isn't willing to take a peek inside the gun to diagnose malfunctions

Not exactly an expert review, possibly a lemon gun ... not enough to condemn the design
    FWIW the http://www.northwestfirearms.com/for...ge-report.html thread has been updated...

But to address each of the points mentioned above:

1. & 2. Took only what I had on hand, and at the time I received my PMR-30 there were NO remommended (pro or con) ammo types.
    3. Reasons for the range limitations were clear. It was unexpected and I wanted to at least put a few rounds thru it with the facilities available it the time.
    4. Not a question of willingness to "take a peek" inside... it had more to do with insuring that Kel-Tec received the malfunctioning weapon in the condition it was at the point of failure.

And I agree completely with you that my "report" was not an expert review, it was merely the impressions of a customer lucky enough to have scored an early PMR-30. It was also not meant as a blanket statement about the design. As I mentioned, I LIKE and ENJOYED the PMR-30 and have every reason to expect my next trip to the range (with my now repaired PMR-30) to be flawless.

ZeroRing, thanks for the update here.

I may have been a bit harsh, but all too often a single lousy review will spread (see how it made it here virally?) and somehow become source material for trashing a model endlessly.

I certianly hope you get a satisfactory repair, I'd invite you to my range and supply an ammo selection if you were in the area. Please do post a renge report, and I'd be very curious for more details on the repair ticket if you're willing to share.
    DON'T PANIC

ZeroRing, Thanks for reporting back here. I look foward to your next report on the second range trip. Welcome to The High Road.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".

Wow, a first generation Kel-Tec design having problems???

Second outing was MUCH better than the first! Pistol shoots beautifully... especially with the correct ammo.

The Fiocchi I used initially is noticably weaker than the CCI and Federal I used on the first outing with my now repaired PMR-30.

Definitely a FUN little pistol to shoot!!

BTW... Kel-Tec tossed in a free mag with the repairs.

Glad to hear that Kel-tec stood by their product. I might be getting one of these after all.

I thought that design was supposed to "self adjust" (blowback/locked breech action) for different types and power levels of .22mag...

Says so right here in the first paragraph...right from the horse's mouth..

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/PM...dout-v3-31.pdf

Well....there must be a minimum power level that the gun can function properly at, and apparently Fiocchi doesn't make the grade or KT wouldn't have mentioned it as unsuitable. Once over the minimum level, the self-adjusting thing can account for more power or heavier bullets. But dropping below the min will cause trouble.

This reminds me that back in the late '80's I caused a local rumor that 357 Coonan's didn't function well. Was at the range running a bunch of reloads through mine starting with very light to normal to find the lower threshold of proper function. A fellow came up to me and asked what I was shooting. "Coonan". "Oh", and he walked off. Later in the week at the gunstore, I heard a fellow saying he KNEW that they didn't shoot worth a darn because he had a friend who saw one malfunction a whole lot. Of course, it was me and it didn't have anything to do with the pistol. That gun was 100% as long as you kept the velocity of 158's above 1100 and below 1350 where it started to have trouble extracting. Once I figured out where the 'knowledge' had come from I tried to restore the Coonan's reputation....but he was skeptical. Bad things are easier to believe than good, I guess.

There might also be something in the composition of the case being softer and 'stickier' which, on a retarded blowback, can cause it to malfunction.

If I get one someday, it will get the recommended ammo as it looks like a really fun little piece.

Question for everyone on the new PMR-30. Do they have adjustable sights. The pictures I have seen seem to indicate not, but I was just wondering. Thanks.

I bought one today at a gunshow

Paid only $399 for it. It says right in the book to use only premium ammo.

Of course I bought the cheap winchester 45 grain stuff it says not to use in the book. (before I read the manual)

I had not one misfire or problem what so ever with the PMR 30. It shot everything with out a problem... Very accurate also.

steve

Double Fire

I dont know if this is common but my 15-22 will double fire with cheap standard velocity ammo. I would guess id doesnt have enough umph to fully cycle the action.

Mattbike, that's a disturbing malfunction, but hardly relevant to the PMR-30 discussion.
    DON'T PANIC

went out to shoot again

still shoots without a problem with the cheap win 45 ammo.

I think is a keeper

Steve

PMR 30 Range

Cleaned and oiled it , then off to the range. I ran 300 rounds (4 different ammo- CCI Maxi-Mag +V 30gr JHP,,, Remmington 33gr Accutip-V,,, CCI Maxi Mag 40gr JHP,,, and Federal Game-Shok 30gr JHP) All ammo cycled perfectly. Not 1 hiccup in the trip. The gun handles great, comes up on target ,, trigger is better than any pistol I've had at 3x the cost, and produces tight groups even when firing semi quickly. I handed to a friend who after 1 mag looked over with a big grin and said "that just cost me $400, get me one ". I'd rate it at A+ for the money, and A+++ for the thrill factor.. It was worth the wait!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willz71
    trigger is better than any pistol I've had at 3x the cost
    What pistols would those be? Kel-Tec has NEVER been known for its triggers...in a good way...

trigger

Pmr 30.

What pistols would those be? Kel-Tec has NEVER been known for its triggers...in a good way...
    Kel Tec has been making pocket pistols without an external safety, if they had good triggers they would be a bit on the dangerous side for the average KT carrier (who is probably not using anything past the pocket clip or dumping it in a holster)

There's no reason a SAO gun from KT would have the heavy & long trigger KT puts on their pocket pistols. I'm hoping for something better than my sub-2000, which actually has an OK SA break with too much pre-travel.
    I'm not expecting a race-gun's hair trigger, or even something as good as my Citadel 1911, but something as good as the SA on my CZ82 or CZ52 would be reasonable.
    DON'T PANIC