Thread: headed out

headed out

my oldest daughter's 2nd year of big game hunting starts tomorrow. hope it goes well. we've got a lot of practice in, and have made a few trips out to see how the deer herd is faring. so far so good!

my daughter seems to enjoy hunting and shooting, which i am thankful for. until she started hunting i was really on the verge of quitting... nobody seems to have time to go, and people sure don't seem to want to hunt hard. i tried to tone my hunting down a little to match other people but found it excruciatingly boring. i need to get out there, put a few miles between me and the truck/camp, use the spotting scope to plan and execute a mile long stalk and all that... not really prudent for a solo hunter to go to the places i go in the conditions i go in... so, apparently you have to grow your own hunting partners if you want to hunt hard core anymore.

unfortunately for me, my daughter being 11 isn't physically ready for all that yet. fortunately for me, she wants to go that route when she matures a little. that of course makes the assumption her interest will remain.

anyway, i know a lot of you guys already have various seasons open. good luck to ya!

I wish you and your daughter well this hunting season.

Have fun, stay safe and may you enjoy the fruits of your labor/hunting trip!

Catherine
    Closed Account

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Ah, its a good thing you are doing, my hats off to you.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

dakotasin,

You better watch that. She might not be keeping up with you at 11, but by 13 or 14 she will be walking you into the ground and you will be loving every minute of it, even if your butt is bouncing off your boot heels.

Buckshot

had a great excursion yesterday, but weren't able to close the deal on anything.

we had a small buck within range, but had to pass because my daughter's tag is antlerless only. did the ol' sneaky on a doe, but once we got to within range my daughter decided to pass on the shot due to size. the doe was a yearling. i was proud of my daughter's decision-making, though i wouldn't have been upset w/ her if she had dumped the fawn; i was just glad she was willing to exercise a little patience and wait for a mature doe. unfortunately we called the hunt off after the fawn stalk due to weather. the fog was so thick glassing was tough, and we were both sopping wet.

we'll try it again saturday afternoon!

no 3: i know you're right - and i'm looking forward to it!

^^^

Good luck on Saturday!

Catherine
    Closed Account

Learning how to hunt ethically is a process, and if your daughter is making good decisions about which game to take and which not to take, the exercise is well worth the walkaround.

I used to pester my uncles to take me hunting with them all the time, and on one particular occasion, they refused. While they were hunting, the dogs chased a rabbit right into the yard where I was milling around. I found the biggest rock I could throw, and took it out... My uncles came home without anything, while my aunt was cooking my rabbit dinner...

They took me anytime I asked after that.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

^^^

WT, great story!

Take care.

Cate
    Closed Account