Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me out please! Star Firestar .45ACP

Hey Rob,

Thank you for the very helpful posts and pictures. There is just enough play on my gun, I mean a hair or two only between the slide and the frame. This allowed the slide stop pin's beveled edge to push up and slide underneath the slide. The notch in the slide kept it from moving forward more than 1/4 inch or so and the barrel kept it from moving back.

Anyway as you said earlier, the flat side on the tab of the slide stop pin was catching on the slide and keeping the pin from being removed the same way it went it. I was just about to suggest to the GS that he destroy the pin to get it out when he started checking the barrel for movement through the ejector port. The barrel had up and down movement by about 1/8 of an inch and when in the down position he was able push the barrel forward exposing the ejection port. Because of tension on the main recoil spring, he had to place a piece of scrap metal in there to hold the barrel forward. This allowed him to move the slide just enough forward and gave the pin tab clearance to come out.

I guess you just had to be there to see the hopelessness of my predicament and to see just how the GS solved the problem. This will NEVER happen again, but if it does I do believe I could fix it myself knowing what I now know.

Anyway I found a GREAT GS who I would recommend to anyone. This guy also makes custom rifles, they are beautiful! He offered to sandblast and reblue the frame to correct the pry marks of my frustration.

Thanks for the report. I was wondering. I also feel that the Firestars are an underrated gun, built to take abuse. I'd love to have one in .45.

Firestar Slide Lock Stuck

I have the Firestar M43 9mm with the same problem. I happened to figure it out by just fumbling with the barrel where the ammo pops out after shooting a round. In my case, the barrel was angled upward, so I pushed it back down, apparantly putting it back on track. Then I was able to move the slide back to pull the slide lock back out. I then removed the slide, to notice the Recoil Spring Guide was not in its correct position as there is a point which is supposed to fit into a hole on the barrel. Once I corrected this, then replacing the slide and then putting the slide lock back on without any problems.

See link to manual below, which also has an exploded view break-down of the interior parts to understand everything above.
    http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/manuals/ downloads/firestar_manual.pdf

Cool Same thing has happened to me Star 9mm

I am now at the same cross roads as you .... I cleaned the weapon ... checked for correct movement ... and then it looks just like your pics ... this is so strange ... I did not force it or anything and now it is jammed exactly as yours ... I guess I am GS bond ...
    Quote Originally Posted by au_prospector View Post
    Success!!!

Went to a local highly reputable gunsmith. He played around with it for about 15 minutes while I stood there watching. He noticed a little play in the barrel and was able to slide the barrel forward using by pushing at it though the ejector port. He then held the barrel forward and was able to push the pin out since the barrel was out of the way.

WHEW!

He then offered to sandblast and reblue the frame where I scratched and scuffed it with pry marks. It seemed like a reasonable price so once I test the gun with a few rounds to make sure its good, I will take it back. He seemed to think everything would be good!

Yeah!
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and great comments/suggestions!

~GP

It looks like it has similar mechanics to a Kahr CW-9 and the Kel-tec PF-9.

On the PF-9, my son reassembled it incorrectly once and the same thing happened. It so happened that he shook it around vigorously until it finally came apart again and he reassembled it properly. (The barrel has to be held upward, toward the top of the gun, to avoid this problem. This can be done by reassembling the gun upside-down.)

On the CW-9, the instructions specifically state that if it is not assembled correctly, it may have to be sent back to the factory.

Since I was forewarned about this problem, I take great care in reassembling them properly, and resort to the instruction manuals before attempting to reassemble them.

With the PF-9, I use a slave pin through the slide stop hole to hold the barrel properly in place (upward) until the final step of putting the slide stop pin back in. (This slave pin is a broken off Q-Tip or cotton swab inserted from the right side of the slide.)

Without being a gunsmith and analyzing the problem dimensionally, it would appear to me that this is a distinct design flaw in at least some guns of this action type, either where a ramp is used for locking-unlocking, or where locking is accomplished by the barrel abutting the slide at the ejection port.

This, as opposed to the swinging link and locking grooves typical of the Browning design.

I am willing to be corrected about this being a "design flaw," but it seems to me that the gun locking up on reassembly unless the moon is in the right phase should not be possible.

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Small screw driver fix for the Firestar M-45

With a small screwdriver push the barrel forward so you can pull the slide back to get the stop out

New guy bumping an ancient thread to say THANKS for this post!

I had the same issue when reassembling my Firestar 40. Never in years had I reassembled in error, but this time I did was it was a head scratcher for sure. I googled the problem, found this forum and this specific thread. I followed au_prospector's description and it was a success.

Looking forward to checking out the site. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by au_prospector View Post
    Hey Rob,

Thank you for the very helpful posts and pictures. There is just enough play on my gun, I mean a hair or two only between the slide and the frame. This allowed the slide stop pin's beveled edge to push up and slide underneath the slide. The notch in the slide kept it from moving forward more than 1/4 inch or so and the barrel kept it from moving back.

Anyway as you said earlier, the flat side on the tab of the slide stop pin was catching on the slide and keeping the pin from being removed the same way it went it. I was just about to suggest to the GS that he destroy the pin to get it out when he started checking the barrel for movement through the ejector port. The barrel had up and down movement by about 1/8 of an inch and when in the down position he was able push the barrel forward exposing the ejection port. Because of tension on the main recoil spring, he had to place a piece of scrap metal in there to hold the barrel forward. This allowed him to move the slide just enough forward and gave the pin tab clearance to come out.

I guess you just had to be there to see the hopelessness of my predicament and to see just how the GS solved the problem. This will NEVER happen again, but if it does I do believe I could fix it myself knowing what I now know.

Anyway I found a GREAT GS who I would recommend to anyone. This guy also makes custom rifles, they are beautiful! He offered to sandblast and reblue the frame to correct the pry marks of my frustration.