Thread: Holster for Ruger Mark II

Holster for Ruger Mark II

Shopping for a holster for my Mark II. Primary use, woodswalking, maybe a little squirrel hunting, possibly occasional concealed carry under a jacket.

So far I have seriously looked at the El Paso Saddlery Model 1927, the Simply Rugged Cuda, and a Triple K model that has a clip pouch integral.

Any experience to share, or other recommendations to consider?
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Are these any help?

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/739156.html
    http://blackdogmachinellc.net/holsters.aspx

That one looks like it snaps onto the receiver and trigger-guard, so their claim of "any model, and barrel style" might hold water, the dimensions of the receiver don't change from MKI/II/III or with a 22/45 variant.
    DON'T PANIC

Dave, I am just not a plastic holster guy. Leaning towards Simply Rugged at this point.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

I don't have any experience with that holster, but the maker claims it is Kydex, not cheapo injection-molded crap.

If it was on Midway I'd use it to round out an order
    Never mind, it IS on Midway, I tossed it in the cart, next time I order it should be along ... I'll try to remember to post a review.
    DON'T PANIC

Had good luck with Triple K without the mag pouch.
    This is for standard sights only.

If you have a bull barrel or target sights, try this one instead.

Found another.
    Last edited by Ray P; November 15th, 2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Found another
    Last century over 170 million people were murdered by their own governments, and your government doesn't want you to have a gun. Doesn't that bother you just a little?
    - Unknown

Ray, thanks, I spent a couple hours searching yesterday and didn't find these. Lots of choices, now I have to decide.... I see several choices I like including some priced a little better than I have seen elsewhere.

Anybody have hands-on experience with Ross?
    Paul

Just sharing some of the saved sites from a year-long search for a Firestar shoulder holster :-)

I like the triple K for my AMT Lightning 5.5", haven't tried the Ross.

Should say I also like the El Paso Saddlery 1927 holster. I have an EPS full flap & belt for my 1911 w/ stock sights. Their work is BEAUTIFUL.
    Hmmm. They (EPS) used to offer a clamshell holster for the Ruger modelled after a P08 holster from WW I. Looks like that particular model is no longer offered.
    Last century over 170 million people were murdered by their own governments, and your government doesn't want you to have a gun. Doesn't that bother you just a little?
    - Unknown

Go to a couple of gun shows and see if somebody will make you one. My buddy who makes cowboy hosters did an extra nice one for me.

Paul,
    I realize that it is December already many days past the last post before mine.
    For the past several years I have been replacing all of my right handed holsters with left handed ones.
    I would like to suggest the thumb break holsterhttp://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=268452
    I have several of the ones listed and when I started ordering them many years ago.
    The holsters were tripleK holsters, and the more recent ones with the guidegear logo on them are the spitting image as much as they may be made still by tripleK.

I hope that you find what you need and it is in your budget.
    Think ahead, bring enough ammo. Ingenium

Quote Originally Posted by M!!
    I tossed it in the cart, next time I order it should be along ... I'll try to remember to post a review.
    Well it arrived a while back, and I've played with it a bit.
    Some quick observations:

Thicker Kydex than I'm used to from concealment holsters, but Kydex, not injection-molded junk.
    It needs a stiff belt to stay upright OWB.
    It is comfortable, but the 6.875" barrel will bonk on the chair I sit in if I sit down wearing it (5.5" barrel doesn't) and push the gun upwards.
    It covers the trigger completely, which is important to me.
    It will take any Ruger mk__ or 22/45 model with or without an optic.
    Tension took a few tries to adjust, but it works well.
    Undoing my belt and threading it through a holster was an odd experience, I'm used to clip-in IWB
    Not that I thought it would be, but this holster is damn-near useless for CC, that's not the intent of the gun or holster, really.
    Draw was comfortable and smooth with a few repetitions.
    Insertion took a bit of fiddling, more repetitions fixed that problem.
    It presents the gun differently than an IWB concealment holster, obviously. Higher and further out by a few inches makes a big difference.

I don't really need a mkIII holster, but I like this one for range use. I may buy one for MrsBFD's mkIII as well in the long run. OWB is better than paddle, and if it isn't for concealment the Black Dog design is pretty good.
    DON'T PANIC

There are a couple at Sportsmansguide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...k=MKII+Holster
    NRA Endowment Member