Thread: mounting a handgun in a pickup

mounting a handgun in a pickup

Any creative ideas on mounting a handgun inside the cab of a pickup?

I've mounted mine in every car I drive or ride in. The gun goes in a holster, the holster goes on my belt, then I strap my ass into the vehicle with the seatbelt.

Works pretty well. :P

A friend of mine has a Taurus 809 mounted with two of these riveted to the inside of of the door pocket. It will never come off, but can easily be pulled off when needed. One just isn't enough in a moving vehicle (he tested it by driving like an idiot and slamming on the brakes as hard as he could). He had another gun on there before, a PPK clone of some kind, but he recently got the 809 super cheap and after some work on it, it's totally reliable now, so it went in instead. It's almost totally invisible when it's in there. All you can see is the back of the grip and the hammer. His wife didn't even notice it when she looked for it.

http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/

I use a modular approach. I bought a few of the Blackhawk serpa holster quick detach mounts and screwed the plates into the underside of the dash on my truck and car as well as next to my bed and office. The advantage is I can use pretty much any holster and just attach the plate to it and use it for quick attach/detach. I also can snap the holster out of one vehicle and mount it on my belt, shoulder rig, drop leg, or any other location quick and easy. Works for me.

I think you'd get a lot more creative ideas if you asked how to mount a machinegun inside the bed of a pickup!
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Any creative ideas on mounting a handgun inside the cab of a pickup?
    Where in the Midwest are you. If you are in Wisconsin or Illinois you have legal issues to contend with and that makes gun storage a different proposition than if you were in Indiana or Iowa.

Freiheit, I like your approach and when I was living in New Mexico back in the 70's that was my preferred method too, can't do that today where i live or I could lose my guns and my hunting privileges.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Regarding the quickdraw magnets. I have one in my house, but only because its in a place where the gun is otherwise protected and things can't hit its trigger and safety. I wouldn't use one to mount a gun in a pocket or compartment where other things could share the space. Best case, your gun gets scuzzed up, worst case you have an ND because something got in and pressed the trigger.

I'm with Freiheit. Gun in holster, holster on the belt (or elsewhere on the person), person strapped into the seat.

One possible disadvantage would be difficulty in drawing the piece, depending on carry mode. Have you actually practiced drawing while strapped into the driver's seat? You should.

Big advantage is that the gun stays with the person. I don't know why I'd want to mount the handgun in the vehicle. I park, get out of the vehicle, walk into the store or wherever, and gun is right with me at all times. What? I'm going to transfer the gun from vehicle to person every time I get in or out of the vehicle? Way too much gun handling. That's one problem I've had with this armed pilot business - they were required to handle the guns too much. Or I'm going to leave my gun in the vehicle every time I get out and walk away? What good is that, other than to expose the gun to being stolen along with the vehicle or its other contents, and leave you unarmed while outside of the vehicle?

Local laws are another issue to deal with - another threat, if you will, but it makes no sense to me to keep a traveling defense pistol anywhere but on the person.

When driving I carry in a cross-draw.

A custom field holster and velcro.

I don't know why I'd want to mount the handgun in the vehicle.
    Why? That's easy...

Demand Studios is paying me to write a 300 word article "How to Mount a Handgun in a Pickup Truck ."

That's all the "why" I need.

For those road rage moments... install 'pop up' headlight assemblies (like on the Fiero) with the handgun clamped inside. A solenoid to the trigger and a switch on the dash and you are ready to play James Bond or Mad Max at your convenience...

Otherwise attach a holster under the dashboard with tape or tie it to the emergency brake release.

One possible disadvantage would be difficulty in drawing the piece, depending on carry mode. Have you actually practiced drawing while strapped into the driver's seat? You should.
    Darned straight. The first time I tried to practice drawing an (unloaded) pistol from a holster at 4 o'clock, I was reduced to a raging caveman.
    For our readers who haven't done so, you'd best practice how to get the weapon out of your holster from every position. You'd be surprised how unyielding leather is when you're pulling at the wrong angle! And you'd best practice off hand draw, too, in case things go entirely south.
    "No one heals himself by wounding another." Saint Ambrose of Milan

"...a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Ps li:19

Besides writing the article, some location do not allow you to carry everywhere or you might work where it is prohibited. Yes, I would like to keep it on me but there are times when it has to stay in the truck.

As far as mounting a handgun inside the truck, you find lots of varibles as how the interior is laid out and designed. Some you can not put things like a lock box under the drivers seat do to the adjustable track. Inside a center consule (or map pocket) you should be able to mount a nylon/leather hoslter that has velcro on the outside of the holster attaching to the inside of the consule.

There is also the device that you can bolt under the dash that is sold that is a rod that you stick down the bore, however I do not think that it would be totally secure.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

(Those studio people...)
    Holster attached to the headliner, or in a compartment built into the headliner. Some vehicles have these already - overhead consoles with compartments.
    I also liked the remote-fired idea. What the hell; if we're getting detached from reality, why not go entirely mad with it? They'll love it.

Some creative Kydex work, and 3M Dual Lock.

I make a triangular surface mount to offset the grip from the surface the holster is mounted on, to allow clearance for a full grip. The mount can be attached in a few different positions to either side of the holster body for versatility in placement.