Thread: Austin Halek 1:28

Austin Halek 1:28

Hi all, I'm posting for someone else that just got a Austin Hallek with 1:28 twist. I'm going from memory here but he would like to know how much powder to use for the pan? I thought he said he was using a 240 gr sabot with 90gr Pyrodex and it was shooting 8" low at 50 yards. I'm not sure of the model but he said it was a "traditional" type. He was thinking of filing the front sight down some but I told him it would be better to see about grains of powder and work from there. I know it has a dovetail up front so they probably could be changed to whatever height is needed. It didn't sound like there was much for sights in the back. He did say that it takes quite alot of time before it goes off so holding it steady is a problem. He was trying to explain the powder dispenser that you press down and it drops so much powder out. How much is the correct amount? As you can gather, I know way less than him when it comes to Blackpowder.

Not much information but any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Judah Ben-Hur; November 13th, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I botched the title up....

Southwestern, Ohio out in the country about 40 miles from cincinnati
    First and foremost he can't use Pyrodex RS or P in a flintlock. I tried it years ago and it is slooooooow to fire. HE MUST USE BLACKPOWDER 2f or 3f in the barrel and 4f in the pan.
    A powder dribbler is the easiest way to charge the pan and from your buddies description that is what he's talking about.
    As for the amount of 4f, It takes very little and trial and error is the best way to find how much. Too little and it won't fire the charge flip up the frizzen wipe out the pan run a pick through the touch hole and recharge it with a little more 4f too much and the excessive flash 8 inches from your face will just make you flinch.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

Southwestern, Ohio out in the country about 40 miles from cincinnati
    To add to my last post. When your buddy get's it right he can expect his flinter to fire almost as fast as any sidelock percussion gun but not as fast as an inline.
    One last point, after your buddy works through the learning curve using blackpowder and he wants to experiment I understand that Pyrodex sells a grade of powder they call Pyrodex Gold and they claim it works well in a flinter but he still has to use 4f bp in the pan.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

He was saying that he could hear it sizzling and then it would be white smoke while trying to hold it steady before the boom. It sounds funny but I have known alot of people that tried these things out and got frustrated at the start. That's why I told him to stop on the filing of the sights because it didn't sound quite right to me. Before heading off to work, I will dig around in the reloading room to see if my Dad had any Lyman reloading books around. Thanks for the reply and I will pass the information on.

Make sure there is no oil in the touch hole, the powder itself should just be to the bottom of the hole, even then don't use enough powder to cover the whole pan, just a bit in the corner by the touch hole.

Yeah; get the ignition issue resolved, and then work on the sights. He may be pulling the shots right now, with the delayed ignition.

If he has nerves of steel and he's shooting without any flinch already, it's going to be hard to make up 8" at 50, just with load development. Filing the front sight on a new gun is quite common, as the manufacturers tend to make the front sights high, specifically so you can file them down to meet your personal requirements.

Substitute powders can cause delayed ignition even in sidelock percussion guns, and sometimes even in percussion revolvers (which are "in-lines", technically) in cases where real black powder would light off instantly. If your buddy can get BP, that should be the preferred standard by far. Any literature I've seen recommends real black exclusively when using flintlocks. It does make a real difference.

One could use a 5 grain charge of BP down the barrel, as an initiator for the Pyrodex main charge (Pyrodex pellets have a similar feature to them, by the way, and those are designed for percussion in-line actions that typically use a very powerful 209 primer) but I say; why bother with measuring twice for your duplex charge, when you can measure once for a full charge of Old Black? I suppose the duplex charge would be a way to dispose of your excess inventory of Pyrodex...

From the sounds of it, he was having issues with holding it steady with all the sizzling going on. lol

I will let you guys know how it turns out.