Thread: .30 Herrett

.30 Herrett

I just got my first 10" Contender barrel. It is a .30 Herrett. Seems like I will need a few accessories -
    1. 10" forend (all my other Contender barrels are Super 14s)
    2. .30 Herrett brass
    3. .30 Herrett RCBS loading and forming dies

Any help would be appreciated. If you have any leads on who is selling any of the above, please let me know.

Thanks,
    James
    xring2245@att.net

I don't know if there IS any .30 Herrett brass. There didn't used to be.

You had to make it yourself out of .30-30 brass with a form die.

You might check and see if this is still the way you have to go at it.

You might check with CH/4D dies in Mt. Vernon, OH if you have to go that way, they usually have product as good or better than that from RCBS at a slightly lesser cost. You can find them on the web.

Good luck,

Buckshot

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    I made several hundred 30 Herrett cases over the years, never used a form die. Form dies are very expensive and you will never pay for one by forming cases. I lubed the case completely, but very lightly coated. Remove the decapping pin and rod from your full length sizing die and carefully run a 30-30 case in and out. Trim, chamfer, fire form to headspace on the shoulder and you are ready to go. You may crumple a case once in a while but that will never equal the price of a form die. Headspace on the shoulder and your accuracy and case life will be greatly enhanced.
    Handloader Magazine had several articles back in the 60's and 70's, maybe even in the 80's that gave great advise on the enhancement techniques for the 30 Herrett. I loaded most of mine with cast bullets for varmint hunting, I used a Lyman 311359 sized and gas checked @ 122 gr. Worked very well with a Burris 3X handgun scope.
    Good shooting!!!!!
    Oh, one tip, full length size in your 30-30 full length sizing die first, makes it all easier. Trim by whatever method you choose, its not complicated.

FWIW Midway has brass and dies. Just search for Herrett. $37 for 20 cases or $240(!!!!!) for a case forming die. At those prices the forming die would theoretically pay for itself after 150 rounds, but it might be a good idea to try out MMCSRET's less-expensive solution first.

Please keep posting, I'd like to hear more about the .30 Herrett from you all.

I had to look it up. I had never heard of it before this thread.

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_f...%20Herrett.htm