Thread: Scope on an early Ruger Mini 14

Scope on an early Ruger Mini 14

Hello,

I have an early mini 14 ranch rifle made in the mid 1980's. I see pictures online with scoped mini 14's. I downloaded a manual from Ruger which tries to explain how to mount scope rings, but for the life of me I do not see any grooves or anything else to mount a weaver type ring on my rifle. The Ruger manual does not show pictures.

Any ideas?

Only Ranch rifles have the integral notches for Ruger rings. The traditional style Mini-14s don't have scope provisions.

I use a scout-type scope in quick detach rings and an Amega rail.
    http://www.amegaranges.com/
    http://www.ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm

I have use the type of mount that replaces the bolt catch cover, but found it to be too wobbly.

Check this Gunblast site. The 11th, 12th & 17th photo on the right hand side show (11) a ranch rifle scope mount notch just forward of the rear sight; and (12 & 17), and proper location of the installed scope rings.
    Last century over 170 million people were murdered by their own governments, and your government doesn't want you to have a gun. Doesn't that bother you just a little?
    - Unknown

Yeah mine is an early mini 14, doesnt have the the scope mount notches that are shown in the pictures.

Thanks anyway!

I had an early Mini 14 back in the 70's, and had my local gunsmith fabricate a mount that attached to the left side of the receiver. Yes, he had to drill and tap it, but that carbine with a Weaver V9 served me well for quite a few years until I stupidly sold it to pay for some schooling.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205189622
    Check this out. What you are looking for is this mount and it attaches to the removable plate on the left side of the receiver.
    "Left handed people are the only ones in their 'right' mind."

Guns have a use. Idiots with guns scare me! - Charles Bronson DeathWish IV

That might be OK, but see if you can still find one of the B-Square models made for the same purpose. I've got one and it works very well. It uses the side plate and replaces the rear sight.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

I recommend an Ultimak rail and a "scout scope, pistol scope, reflex, or red-dot optic. Pricey, but worth it on an older Mini.