Thread: My new Pietta

My new Pietta

I had been wanting a cap and ball revolver for some time now and Dixie Gun Works just happened to have this Pietta .36 1851 Navy on sale for $185. Now I can't wait for the next trip to the range and see how it shoots.

I have to admit, from what I've read about Piettas, I was expecting to have to do some final fitting, especially on the grip. The fit and finish on this particular specimen, however, is remarkable. The wedge even came right out without a problem with two taps with a hammer and wood dowel.

I do fear that I have been hooked already. I just picked the navy up and now the 1862 police looks like it could use a good home
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Great guns. I have a pair.

The cylinders forward index is actually the forcing cone, and the gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone is extremely small. So while you are shooting, after two or three cylinders you may find that a lot of crud builds up and the cylinder becomes hard to rotate. So be prepared to pull the barrel off and clean the face of the forcing cone and the face of the cylinder. Then all will be well once again.

Welcome to the “Lords of the Soot”

Chris

I recently acquired a Pietta 1858 Remington in .44 caliber.

Grins all around!

Son-in-law has a .36 Navy, he normally loads it by pulling the barrel and cylinder. To each his own...BP is great fun!

Very nice.
    I love all the open frame Colts.
    And yes, you probably are hooked.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.

Southwestern, Ohio out in the country about 40 miles from cincinnati
    Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading revolvers. I was hooked by the 62 Colt Police and have a pair of them. They are fussy to shoot out of the box but can be tweaked to shoot reliably. If you do get hooked and buy a Colts Police let me know because I know of a leather smith in N.Y. state that makes holsters just for the gun. Affordable and well made.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

Pancho ...I know of a leather smith in N.Y. state that makes holsters just for the gun. Affordable and well made...
    I have several of the Pocket revolvers, who is he?
    I prefer not to shoot cartridges younger than I am!

The more recent (2009 and later) Piettas have been near perfect out of the box. Bore butter on the arbor and lubed wads will pretty much negate the need to wipe off the cylinder face. I can got 10 to 15 stages with all my C&Bs with them spinning as easily on the 10th stage as the first.

And, Welcome to your new obsession
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    SASS 28654-L-TG; Rangemaster, Frontiersman/Pistoleer
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

www.delsleatherworks.com specializes in military flap style holsters and he does offer a shoulder rig that will be Christmas present for my self.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

Pancho; I was interested in Dels Leatherworks, but; Linkey brokey.

Last edited by junkman_01; December 10th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Great. thanks, junkman. Hey, they have some nice stuff.

I can't remember how I happened on Dell's site but he was the first one to say that his holsters were made expressly for the Police. I found the holsters to be excellent in quality and affordable at $35 each.
    I had a question I needed answered before I ordered and Dell answered the phone so it's not a large company.

I'm hoping to get out to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots. We're gonna have a heat wave tomorrow...it might actually get up to 35 degrees.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Just make sure

you put enough grease on the balls before you shoot because one chainfire can really make your day no fun. I usually take my cylinder after it is loaded and put tons of grease over each ball and make it flush and straight. That way I never have a problem. If you dont know that you're infor a nasty surprise with one spark int he wrong cirection.