Thread: Possible to convert CVA Hawken?

Possible to convert CVA Hawken?

I've just been given a 1984 manufacture CVA Hawken .50 cal that has never been fired. I already have a percussion .50 and would kinda like a flintlock 50. Is it possible to convert this by buying a lock and vent, or not?
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

Nevermind. Further search has told me that for the cost involved, I may as well buy another rifle.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

For a decent rock lock rifle at a decent price the Lyman Plains Rifle is a pretty good deal. I got mine as a kit a few years ago and it is a bunch of fun.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I have a CVA Mountain Rifle in .50-caliber, I bought new in 1980. It resembles the Hawken pattern and is an exceptional shooter with round balls.
    If yours was made in 1984, it may be U.S. made. Around that time, CVA started having its barrels and parts made in Spain and quality suffered.
    But a USA-made CVA Hawken or Mountain Rifle is a fine shooter, of very good quality.
    Others may doubt me, but they're basing their opinion on the later, Spanish-made CVAs. They're also very wrong, thankfully.
    I give thanks because early CVA rifles, made in the U.S., don't have much value and you can get a good one at a good price.
    The Lyman Great Plains is a good rifle too, but if you only to shoot balls the CVA will do it equally well.
    I know you want a flintlock, but don't discount that CVA. It's a good rifle.
    "And therein did I see an ugly cat. Blue smoke. Brimstone. Holes in paper. And this ugly cat was much amused." --- the prophesies of Gatodamus (1503 - 1566).