Thread: Pin Fire.... i'm starting to get the bug

Pin Fire.... i'm starting to get the bug

For years I've always over looked the Pin fire. It was one of the neat curiosities in amunition history that intrigued me, but lack of ammo made me not even consider it.

Now, I find out that there is a guy over seas who's making reloadable pinfire ammunition. For $200 he will send you all the tools needed to load the pinfire size of your choice. His brass employs a percussion cap as the ignition source. Loading with the tools he provides looks to be a simple affair.

I think I may have to look into getting a pinfire firearm.
    I got a new 1911 for my wife... I think it was a pretty good trade.

What have you got in mind for a pinfire rifle or pistol?

I haven't really decided. There's an antique gunshow coming up in delaware, so i figured I'd look there. I've seen some revolvers on line for as low as $300,but I'd go for a boot pistol too. I just think it would be neat to shoot something different from the norm.
    I got a new 1911 for my wife... I think it was a pretty good trade.

I looked at them on Gunbroker . com. Some fairly interesting ones but seemed fairly expensive.

The Guardian of 1878

I humbly submit a midnight photo of a pair of mine. Both together were under $300 a couple of years ago, but they aren't museum quality show pieces either.

The things I came across most often while looking:
    1. Missing ejector rod
    2. Won't index (freewheel)
    3. Trigger return spring is broken or missing
    4. Front sight broken
    The engraved models go for higher. Some like the Lefaucheaux have collector value. Mine are valuable to me. Once I have them restored, they will certainly have more money in them than resale value, but I don't plan on selling them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redneckinmontrose; December 24th, 2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: title correction

I've just recently heard about this, and I'm very interested.
    I've always like those old pinfires, although they do range in quality from top shelf to hand grenade.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.