Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Democratic Underground

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    Let me see, you have an 8 to 9 pound rifle trying to hit a man-sized target either blind or through the deflection of a plexiglass window all the while moving at relative high speeds.
    And, assuming that the plane is taking off, at a distance of a half-mile or more...much less trying to hit an aircraft anywhere at 10,000 feet...at an unknown target angle...while it's moving at about 600 mph, and consider the sheer number of switchback crosswinds and up and down drafts that the bullet has to transit on its way. It would be like trying to hit a Dove on a windy day 2 of the season when they kick in the afterburners...with a .22 rifle...at the limit of its effective range.

Go ahead and make the bet that it can be done, and I'll cover it.

Not gonna happ'n, Cap'n.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; November 15th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

Go ahead and make the bet that it can be done, and I'll cover it.
    Hey! It's very rude to move in on someone else's sukka! This is my mark, go find your own!

I wasn't tryin' to muscle in. Selena. I just thought I could get in on a sure thing.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

And while it is true that fighters did shoot down enemy aircraft if the 50 is such a dependable aircraft killer then why did we lose so many B-29s and B-17s which were bristling with 50 cal machine guns front, rear and both sides until the development of the long range fighter that could give fighter support over Germany?
    It is my sincerist hope that Germany never shot down even one B-29, as they were never used in the European Theater of Operations.
    Also the German fighter pilots depended more on the 20mm cannon they carried to down bombers.

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

Also the German fighter pilots depended more on the 20mm cannon they carried to down bombers.
    But the B17's and B29's accounted for very few enemy aircraft despite the number of 50 cal mg they carried. Before the development of the long range fighters, the Nazi's shot down a horribly high percentage of American bombers.

Yeah Eric, they dont like their own people very much. They have a certain like mindedness they want on their board. They dont welcome anybody willing to embrace the pro gun attitude . Just the opposite of one of the aspects that has been holding their party down in shackles for yrs. I dont worry about them ever taking the house/ senate and the WH at once b/c with the anti mindset it will never happen. Should they abandon that philosophy and make it public we could very well see a Dem controlled Gov in the future.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

It is my sincerist hope that Germany never shot down even one B-29, as they were never used in the European Theater of Operations.
    Yeah. That was supposed to be B-25...Mitchell...but sometimes I don't check before I hit POST. Try to overlook my typos. I've got 20 dogs here that divert my attention on a minute's notice.

Before the development of the long range fighters, the Nazi's shot down a horribly high percentage of American bombers
    Yep...and,

And not all of their attacks were successful even with the cannon mounted on the ME109s and 110s.

I guess the point has been lost in the trivial nit-pickin'.

Shooting down a modern airliner from the ground...at cruising altitude with a semi-auto rifle...with all the redundant systems aimed specifically at keeping the plane airborne...at an unknown range, speed, and target angle...through an ever-changing sea of air currents and mirage seems to be a pretty fanciful claim. The odds of even hitting it are stretched so far that it would require an act of Providence, much less hitting it in exactly the right place to cause a problem that the pilots couldn't handle without the passengers being any the wiser.

Yeah. I'm good for that bet.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

Yeah. I'm good for that bet.
    I'll take some of that myself Tuner!

Here you go , one of the finer anti gun clips. I think McCarthy and her lack of knowledge pertaining to guns hurts her cause more than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=nNsCM2WYu7U

And of course who could forget her greatest hit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Thats right! the shoulder thingy that goes up.
    Brandon

They've gotten so ridiculous over this .50 caliber thing, some of them have even included muzzle loaders.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

What's needed is a new .49 caliber BMG round. For the children...

And, assuming that the plane is taking off, at a distance of a half-mile or more...much less trying to hit an aircraft anywhere at 10,000 feet...at an unknown target angle...while it's moving at about 600 mph...
    We're not talking about a plane flying by at 600 knots at Flight Level 35. Not to be posting a primer for would be terrorists, but there are plenty of places you can be that are closer than half a mile from a commercial runway's threshold. And close to the ground a plane taking off is travelling at rotation speed... about 120 to 150 mph. That's fast but pretty much right at you. And on a windless day... every plane is going to be on about the same place.

Given a motivated shooter with some expertise in high school trig and calculus and the knowledge to calculate an aim point and sight in his rifle... I can imagine it might be possible... a low probability... but possible.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Lib , if I didnt know better I would think you may be thinking about this too much. I wouldnt try it if I were you. You probably wont hit the target , but , will do prison time for trying.
    Brandon

Lib , if I didnt know better I would think you may be thinking about this too much...
    I'm a plane nerd and a gun nerd with a friend who's a screen writer. She asked one day if it was possible. That's what I noodled out.
    Theodore Roosevelt

You've be surprised how many pro-gun people are Liberals and Democrats.
    they are lieing to your face or to their leader's face.

democrats/liberals can not be pro RKBA because it flys in the face of everything their collective has taught them and stands for on the national front.

so they are either lieing to you about being "pro gun" RKBA or they are lieing to their supreme commanders.

so they are either lieing to you about being "pro gun" RKBA or they are lieing to their supreme commanders.
    As a bona-fide tax-and-spend, pro-choice, regulation-friendly, global-warming-believing, single-payer-advocating, gun-toting greenie member of the Democratic Party, I have to ask... what supreme commanders?
    Theodore Roosevelt

As a bona-fide tax-and-spend, pro-choice, regulation-friendly, global-warming-believing, single-payer-advocating, gun-toting greenie member of the Democratic Party, I have to ask... what supreme commanders?
    the ones that pull your strings in d.c. like clinton, lautenburg, polosi, obama, schumer, boxer......all those dimwits that are the leaders out in front of the liberal democrat party.

. I can imagine it might be possible... a low probability... but possible.
    Yeah. Anything is possible. Once in a while, somebody hits the sole Powerball ticket, too...and ground-swattin' a 747 as it lifts off ain't exactly the same thing as hittin and disabling a 747 in flight. I'll still take that bet and quote some insane odds. I figure that by the time I have to pay, I'll have that Powerball ticket in my hands.

Oh! By the way. I believe that global warming is real, too. Not a doubt in my mind. The globe has been warming for the last 15,000 years or so...just like it has about a half-dozen times in the past billion years or so.

Good thing, too. Otherwise, Savannah would probably be under a sheet of ice a half-mile thick by now and we'd be huntin' Wooly Mammoths for supper instead of nippin' down to KFC.

But I digress...

But it's fun, sometimes.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

The globe has been warming for the last 15,000 years or so...just like it has about a half-dozen times in the past billion years or so
    Al Gore would like you to know that just because you can prove that, that doesn't mean it's true.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

...clinton, lautenburg, polosi, obama, schumer, boxer......all those dimwits that are the leaders out in front of the liberal democrat party.
    I'm pretty sure I've never lied to any of those people.

The globe has been warming for the last 15,000 years or so...
    Yep, It's warmer today than it was 15,000 years ago. It's cooler than it was 300 million years ago. Climate changes. One of the many drivers is the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. Plants during the Carboniferous period (300 mya) worked hard to take a lot of CO2 out of the air and put the carbon underground. We're working hard to dig it up and put it back in the atmosphere. What would have happened over millions of years, we're doing in hundreds. That is making the world warmer than it would have been otherwise. That's just true... political inconvenience aside.
    Last edited by LibShooter; November 17th, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added more stuff
    Theodore Roosevelt

Huh!
    Last edited by Reagan; November 17th, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: I wasn't finished

What would have happened over millions of years, we're doing in hundreds.
    Another natural process. Ice reflects heat. Ice starts to melt. Ground and oceans absorb more heat...accelerating the melting process. The less ice there is, the faster it melts. Observable on a small scale by watching it melt off your house after a snow.

The sun's energy also waxes and wanes. Some glaciations happen slow. Others happen fast. The same applies to interglacials. Depends on the extent of the ice when it starts and the sun's energy output.

Nothing is static. Everything about the Earth is constantly changing, including the climate.

And, that 747 ain't gonna come down, either. Not from a rifle bullet.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

One of the many drivers is the amount of carbon dioxide in the air.
    and one of the more efficient drivers of the greenhouse effect is methane, the gas that the decomposition of plankton (among other sources) in the oceans emits is far more by volume in a month than man has put in carbon dox in the past ten years. As for CO2 emissions... mankind still hasn't caught up with the volcanic eruption of Mt St Helen in ancient times.

My Uncle in WW2 Italy on his first combat mission strafed a truck then went through some trees wiping off his external stores from his p-47. His element leader had been hit in the oil line by a single bullet. Set down on a RAF base for repair. Think his leader chose that place for the better whiskey.

So you can down an A/C with a bullet from a rifle. Just have them get low enough to spit on their windshield.

Bayou Renaissance Man has a post of just such an occasion. http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot....ss-indeed.html

and one of the more efficient drivers of the greenhouse effect is methane,
    Methane is a much more efficient greenhouse gas than Carbon Dioxide. However, it doesn't hang around in the atmosphere. It pretty quickly oxidizes into water and CO2... which hangs around much longer.

One of the few ways CO2 leaves the air is when plants take it to build themselves. That's what happened back in the Carboniferous... and that's where all the coal we're burning now came from. With all that carbon in the ground, and not in the air... the Earth got cooler... and temperatures were less stable. It varied widely.. see the ice ages... but around a lower average.

It would have taken the Earth millions of years to turn all that carbon in the ground back into carbon dioxide in the air. We'll do it in centuries. As that happens temperatures will still vary widely... but around a rising average. Plants will thrive. The jungles of 300 million years will rebuild themselves.

The planet will be fine... from a bug's or a fern's viewpoint... even better. I think people will like it less. The Democratic Underground are mostly people. That's how this post relates to the OP.
    Theodore Roosevelt

So you can down an A/C with a bullet from a rifle. Just have them get low enough to spit on their windshield.
    It's also (theoretically) possible to bend time and go faster than light. As well as being possible to surgically modify a pig's voice box to be able to sing Cara Mia, it's also possible to be alive and dead at the same time. However, I would strongly suggest you not make that your battle plan.