Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Democratic Underground

Paid my first visit ever to the Democratic Underground today
    A $100.00 gift card from Ducks Unlimited is headed your way!
    They made a mistake!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

It is no surprise that we cannot fix national problems when we cannot be agreeable to each other even if our communications are infinitely trivial.
    Preach on, Mortie!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Preach on, Mortie!
    All company is welcome in a communal H-Bomb shelter!

People that are members there and here usually stay in the gungeon. Treo warned me not to step out into the daylight over there.However, I didnt listen and they canned me almost immediately.

I was scanning through some of their general discussion topics. I happened upon one that was bashing gun people. It was like a really bad dream. I rebutted with some real common sense posts. The idea of everybody having a gun to stop the bad person with a gun just didnt make sense to them. They just kept saying things like " If didnt make guns nobody would have them" or "If it were illegal to have a gun people couldnt get them and murder". So then of course I was calmly and rationally replying with the facts. Then they really became angry. One hippie liberal douche of a lady said guns were OK , but , that .50 cal they shoot the commercial airliners down with should be rounded up and destroyed. Then she proceeded to say the mold for that gun should be destroyed as well. What the hell was she thinking? Do Libs like her think that guns are like pottery or something? Like they use some kind of plastic injection molding for them.

I simply said " They are milled out of steel at a machine shop. Not like poured in place. Then I also added that there were several makes and models of these things". All the while I explained that I personally dont have a use for one , but , if my neighbor had one it wouldnt bother me. Then she went bananas. The next thing I know all these people are calling me silly names and saying some very hateful things b/c they had run out of drivel to argue with.

Then I was banned. Treo told me to clear my cookies and give them a week or two to rejoin. He also warned me again to stay in the gun section and not to stray. The more I thought about it the more it angered me. What kind of forum wont let you speak your mind when it doesnt contain profanity or anything indecent? Art's grandma would have never even flinched while reading my posts. It simply wasnt material that should get someone banned from a public forum. Then it dawned on me. These are the controlling type of people that dont want you to have a gun b/c they dont like it. Having nothing to do with their rights or liberties being infringed upon. They just simply want to control your life and the only aspect of control they had over me was membership to the forum and they used it.

I just simply cant explain how hateful and aggressive these people were. I am a member of pirate 4x4. Its the biggest 4x4 forum on the web. Members there will call you a ****tard or bitchsicle and some really profane stuff. DU made pirate 4x4 look like a church picnic.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    Back to the .50 caliber argument. Is shooting at airliners a problem in the first place?
    Since we haven't seen any reports of it happening...I'd have to say no.

Banning a rifle or a class of rifles because of what somebody might be able to do with one is as silly...not to mention unconstitutional...as arresting college students because they might smoke pot. But then again...the DU is fine with violating the Constitution as long as it serves their purpose.

And never mind trying to use facts or logic in an argument. It's what they believe...and as the radical Islamic factions have repeatedly demonstrated...deep, radical beliefs can be very dangerous.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

I have lived amongst some of the most hardcore conservatives in the nation. All the states that surround mine are ver conservative as well. Taking into consideration most of the people that I have interacted with daily I havent met any as hateful and demented as the liberals on DU. I personally thought most liberals were similiar to hippies and vegans. People that just want to get along with everyone and everything on Earth. The visits I had on that site were indeed very eye opening. Its hard to put it into words.
    Brandon

Back to the .50 caliber argument. Is shooting at airliners a problem in the first place?
    I have lived or worked within a couple miles of an airport a large portion of my adult life. My dad was both a USAAC/USAAF/USAF/ANG veteran, specializing in airport operations, and an FAA air traffic controller, frequently seconded to crash investigation.

From my long conversations with my now deceased dad, and my conversations with many others in the business and around the details, I think that "shooting down an airliner with a rifle" belongs in the department of improbable and unlikely ideas. Can't say it's impossible, but any smart person who wanted to bring one down could find a better way.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

The shooting down airliner's with .50 caliber rifle idea always preposterous to me..

The .50 caliber heavy machinegun was not ideal for shooting down warplanes in WWII.
    Cannons with explosive shells were preferred. Fighter planes had at least six of the MG's.. (and no doubt the pilots wished to have four cannons instead)

No.. shining lasers on planes while they're landing is though. Pilots don't like that at all..

The .50 caliber heavy machinegun was not ideal for shooting down warplanes in WWII.
    True. My dad went to aerial gunners school, pre WW2. Even with a machine gun it isn't easy to bring a plane down.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

True. My dad went to aerial gunners school, pre WW2. Even with a machine gun it isn't easy to bring a plane down.
    If 50 cals are so effective against aircraft, why do they bother making SAMs?

The visits I had on that site were indeed very eye opening. Its hard to put it into words.
    Just another reason you and Treo should cease your forays into those dismal swampy,psychotic waters.

We need both of you at your very best back here where the sun shines daily from the mountain top !*

*See this great song,Jamaica Farewell, sung by Harry Belefonte.

We need both of you at your very best back here where the sun shines daily from the mountain top !*
    You'd rather we hung out here and preached to the choir? I've seen a few converts over at DU.

If you want to preach salvation you need to go where the sinners are
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

You'd rather we hung out here and preached to the choir?
    Yes.

I've seen a few converts over at DU.
    2 out of 2 million! Lousy bad mojo odds says Big Tony of Bayonne,New Jersey!

If you want to preach salvation you need to go where the sinners are.
    Plenty of sinners here.Saw one in the mirror shaving this morn! Help me!

2 out of 2 million! Lousy bad mojo odds says Big Tony of Bayonne,New Jersey!
    And if those two each convert two and they convert two each... the journey of a million leagues starts with one small step.

Plenty of sinners here.Saw one in the mirror shaving this morn! Help me!
    Thou art far from a bad man, go, and reform--or, mark my words--some day, for thy sins ye will die and go to hell or Chicago--try and make it the former.

Thou art far from a bad man, go, and reform--or, mark my words--some day, for thy sins ye will die and go to hell or Chicago--try and make it the former.

Don't want to spend any serious time in Chicago, but I fondly remember some weekend afternoons in Wrigleyville and some evenings on Clark St.......
    Paul

JD & Paul,

Try being in Chicago's foster child program then get back to me.

Item two: I've been to Paris, the Seine stinks even worse than Lake Michigan during alewife season.

Item three: the Cubs hasn't won a World series in 103 years.

Item last: if you pick on the sarcasm it will never heal.

I havent been there in a while. I used to go there to get some snippets and good thread topics. I almost feel dirty whenever I enter their realm. Recently I have bee frequenting Ford Truck Enthusiasts and Full Size Bronco. I see RustyShackleFord there all the time. I havent sent any correspondence to him, but , he has helped me with a few problems. I have to get this Bronco up and going. The wifey wants to drive it instead of her Sequoia this Winter. I am about there, so hopefully in a week or so it will be going.
    Brandon

Brandon, what vintage is your Bronco? I have none now but I have owned a couple....

Selena, I wouldn't want to be a foster child in a lot of places. My limited exposure has been more negative than positive.
    Paul

This one is a 1987 XLT. A buddy of mine gave it to me. The body and interior were very cherry. However, everything else was bad. Motor, tranny , T case, rear ends. Its been a lot of work , but , everything will be new on it when it does run.
    Brandon

I had an 87, and a 95. the 95 was white just like OJs, I had it for a few months already when the OJ thing started.
    Paul

There are several guys on the Bronco forums with white ones like yours. Most of them have screen names like The Juice or Jooose.

Who could ever forget that low speed chase back to OJ's place?
    Brandon

Odd, I've lasted a few years at D.U. now.

Of course, I expect to be banned at any time....

Of course, I expect to be banned at any time..
    Naw,they want a token conservative USAF guy from Arizona!

Odd, I've lasted a few years at D.U. now.

Of course, I expect to be banned at any time
    They must have met their quota already and I got taken out with the trash.

I am lost as far as political affiliation goes. I want a Democrat POTUS then I get one and I dont want Democrat POTUS. I call myself a moderate for a few reasons I dont like the war on some drugs and selective enforcement. I cant go along with the church dictating on how I should live a moral life. I dont like the Dems for their big gov, but , the reps are just as big with their holier than thou menatlity and want ing the gov to enforce some christian morals upon me. I am a christian and do believe in the almighty. I do try to live a moral life and not hurt others, but , I dont need someone holding me at gun point to do so. I help people that are down on their luck when I can. Problem is sometimes I am down on my luck and cant afford to help anyone. However, politicians keep using my tax money to support people that dont want to work on the federal and state level.

Can you guys see where I am going with this? People thik whenever I bash Reps that I must be a hardcore Democrat and just dont like the other party. My stance is that I would like to be a Rep , but , they just keep showing me why I wont commit to them. Calling yourself a Dem nowdays is just downrite embarassing. They support so many different silly things it isnt even funny.

None of them really like for you to have guns. If there truly are Reps that would like to see us armed why wont they run for POTUS? Sure we see all of them quail hunting or shooting at the local range around election time, but , thats just all show and no go.

I will vote in this next election for the sake of Supreme Court Justice appointments and if one doesnt get appointed this term then I will have to vote the same next term. However, i am sure there will be fallout from the choice I make one way or another. regardless of who is in the WH they will sign any anti gun bill that comes across their desk. At least with the right justices in place they can set precedents that are in our best interest.
    Brandon