Thread: CMP Remington M40X Rifle

CMP Remington M40X Rifle

saw this on the CMP auction site

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2545

its a remington m40x in .22-250 with a heavy barrel. can anyone think of where tis came from?

i guess its possible that its a sniper rifle, but thats a strange cartridge for the military to use.

possibly a competition rifle but i doubt it. maybe it was a base game wardens varmint rifle
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012
    USAF april 19th 2011-_____

unusual, would sure like to know this backstory.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

agreed. i think im going to email the CMP and ask if they know anything
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012

Here's a little info on CMPs X40s from CMP

REMINGTON MODEL 40X TARGET RIFLE

These are single shot, bolt action, rifles that were returned to Army inventory by ROTC and JROTC units and are in similar condition to the 40X rifles we offered several years ago.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
    R22M40XHBBR Remington 40X - Heavy Barrel - stripped barreled receiver only (No other parts, just receiver and barrel) $350

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

As stated they been selling just a barrel reciever (no bolt) before and on the auction house a few complete rifles.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10' & 11'

$350 for a stripped barreled receiver?!?!?! That seems insanely high to me. Even more so for one thats seen a few rounds down the pipe.

interesting. the one i linked is a complete rifle thats even drilled and tapped
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012

Wonder if a ROTC unit had an enterprising armorer who found a barrel somewhere....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

What my post was trying to say is that I concur CMP has a few complete 40X rifles on the auction side and also sales stripped barreled recievers, all from ROTC units.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10' & 11'

The standard military 40X sold by CMP is .22 lr. I assume from ROTC units; never heard of a service team shooting smallbore.
    So a centerfire 40X in the system is a real oddity. Which is why the bid is nearly $1300.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Actually, 40X Remingtons in centerfire calibers are not unobtainium as some here believe. You just have to order them through the custom shop. I personally thought the auction started well above the probable value of the rifle in question since .22-250 is not known for long barrel life and target rifles get a lot of use if they are any good. For the price that one brought, you could have bought or built a new one.

Centerfire 40Xs are not at all uncommon, probably more centerfires than rimfires.
    What is unusual is a .22-250 in Army channels now being sold surplus.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.