Thread: Problem with Remington 870 Express

Problem with Remington 870 Express

I just bought a new Remington 870 Express shotgun a couple of weeks ago. I have had two 870 Wingmasters for some time, but I bought this one to be used for trap/skeet.

My wife and I shot a few rounds of skeet with it with Remington brand 7 1/2 shot size game loads the day after I bought it. We went through about a box of shells. It functioned perfectly.

A week later, we went to shoot it again - this time, with Winchester AA target loads (from Wal-mart). After about every other shot, the pump action seemed to not want to release - or move to the shell eject (open action) position. It was as if the action did not release after the round was fired. We pressed the release button but that did not make a difference. This happened when my wife fired the gun - and occurred with me as well.

I have never experienced this with any other shotgun previously - and I have never even heard of it happening. I called Remington - and after describing the problem, the individual I spoke to said it sounded as if there was a "burr" inside the chamber, which was preventing the shell to be removed from the chamber after firing. They are sending me a new barrel.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Based on the problem I described, would you agree that the Remington technician's diagnosis seems to be accurate?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks...

Since it functioned before and not now then it maybe rust in the chamber. Express models have been known to occasunally have bad finishes on them. Might be why they are sending a new barrel. I'll suggest you clean the inside of the barrel thoughly and polish the chamber walls, then go shoot another box.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

Yes, agreed on polishing the chamber. Sounds like you're going to get a free barrel if they're not wanting the old one back.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

If Remington shells worked fine, and you experienced problems from the start with Winchester sheels, did you try some more Remingtons? I've read that some brands of shells may exhibit very sticky extraction.

You might check the ejector to make sure it isnt chipped, or sticking.

If it's not the ejector, then this sounds like a very common problem with the 870 express. I had one, after about a box of shells shooting trap, ejecting a spent case was sometime problematic. One time I had to use a rod to tap the case out. Seems some of the plastic from the hull melts onto the chamber, causing this.

The problem seems to be due to how Remington bores out the chamber. The newer Expresses are lower end, so the speculation is Q&A is not as high, resulting in rough chambers. I tried bore paste on a mop chucked in a drill, brass from a scrubbing pad wrapped around a bore brush, and a few other things. Nothing seemed to be the fix for me.

Google "remington 870 extraction problems"

I had the same problem with my express using winchester shells. It took some serious force to be able to work the action. I took a bronze brush, wrapped it with steel wool, chucked it in a drill and polished the chambers, then cleaned the snot out of it. I also stopped using winchester bulk pack rounds, as these were the only ones I had this issue with.
    I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds . - Henry Rollins

Here's the troubleshooting guide for new,balky Expresses....

Read the manual, follow the directions for cleaning BEFORE shooting round one. That stuff inside is preservative, not lube.

Avoid valu pack Winchesters. I do not believe everything I read on the Net,but these seem to be egregious.

Finally, some Expresses benefit from polishing the chamber. Split a 3/8" dowel about 8", shove in a wad of 4/0 steel wool, chuck it up in a variable speed drill and have at it.

Keep the revs low. 5 minutes should fix things. After shooting, a few passes will clean out all plastic buildup in the chamber and bore.

HTH....
    Last edited by Dave McCracken; March 14th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    BA/UU/R....

In more general terms, what does plastic buildup look like? Is it going to look like a gob of melted plastic or is it more subtle?

More subtle,but you'll know it when you see it.

IME, worst places for the buildup is where the bore tapers, the forcing cone and choke. A minute or two with the steel wool is well worth the time.

Buildup is worse with some loads, notably cheap ones, but no load is crud free.
    BA/UU/R....

The best method for polishing shotgun chambers (that I've used personally) is as follows...

-Nylon 12 GA Brush (or 20 ga or whatever you are shooting)
    -Cotton patches
    -JB non-embedding bore paste
    -Kroil
    -Short cleaning rod
    -Cordless drill

1. Chuck the rod into the drill and put the nylon brush on the end.
    2. Wrap a couple of patches around the brush and splash some Kroil on them.
    3. Work a fair amount of the JB paste into the patches
    4. Run the drill at a moderate speed and work this back and forth inside your chamber and the first part of the bore until you get a nice mirror-bright finish.
    5. Clean everything up well.

NOTE: You will need to keep that "mirror bright" chamber oiled between uses as we are talking about unprotected "in the white" metal that can rust.

I've used this method for several shotguns used in Cowboy Action Shooting and I have SxS guns where the hulls will just drop out of the barrel with a slight flick of the wrist.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

My mom recently brought me her old Stevens single shot 20 ga for rehab. The outside was cosmetic rust, steel wool and CLP. The bore was kinda furry though, old fouling never cleaned and gone to rust. A quick examination of the bench revealed a half-length Dewey rod that had been ruined some time ago as a rifle rod, a 12ga cotton bore mop, a bottle of green liquid rouge from my favorite polishing store, AKA any good truck stop, and a cordless drill. Beautiful bore, shotgun rescued.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

Our club runs a Jr. Trap League each year.

We get the cheapest shells we can, as we usually use 3 - 4 CASES of 20 ga. shells a night.

Last year the cheapest shells were Winchester and they had what looked like nickel or chrome plated heads on them. Turns out, whatever it is is plated on over ALUMINUM.

The Remingtons did not have too much trouble (the newest of them is three years old) but the Charles Daley semi-autos HATED the aluminum headed Winchester shells and the Mossbergs were not real happy with them either.

They would lock up and not want to extract from the chamber after firing. Sometimes the extractor would tear through the aluminum head covers on the shells.

Might this be happening on your WW AA shells? I have not seen new AAs in a long time, I heard they have degraded a lot from the days when they were THE shell to get hold of for reloading.

Buckshot

You guys clean your shotguns? I thought Mossberg made them all rattly and loose so the crud just fell out every year or so! (for the record I do clean my SxS and Franchi, it was just a joke)
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter