Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery or dumbassery? Louisville, KY

Robbery or dumbassery? Louisville, KY

This is just up the street from me here in Louisville, KY.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/SWA...120688769.html

WHAS11 News has learned that backed into a gun shop in the 9500 block of Hurstbourne Parkway.

It is not yet known if this is a burglary attempt or just an accident, but police are questioning a person that was found in the store, Gun Works.

Jeffersontown Police called the Louisville Metro SWAT Team to the scene as a precaution.

The SWAT team sent a robot inside the shop to search for anyone inside.
    The 111 Gun Shop is good to do business with. I haven't made any big purchases but they've had some good prices on ammo. Decent folk, I hope they get this sorted out and get back to business soon.

Never attribute to evil what can be explained by stupidity.

I've been there once... I vote Robbery.

I've shopped that store several times, and lived in Louisville for 5 years... In that part of town, I'd vote accident/stupidity. It hasn't changed that much in the couple months since last time I was there.

Just for my own curiosity, isn't there a distillery in that area? I seem to remember my uncle talking about taking rye down there.

There are several distilleries in Louisville. Ironically several of the surrounding counties are "dry" counties.

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is a bit south of Louisville. The Brown-Forman group is also based in the city, they own several distilleries.

More info: http://www.wave3.com/story/14513413/...on-at-gun-shop

It happened at 0400, so its not like some commuter got antsy and tried to turn around or take a shortcut.

I would also like to note that when the SWAT team is on the deck and behind cover, that would be a good time for the observers to hunker down and GTFO too.

Hiding behind a car is not cover, concealment maybe, but not cover.

Officers Wife,

They got Tabacco growing down there too. And I don't mean that stuff y'all got in the ditch... Take Hwy 50 or old Hwy 64 across Indiana from state line to state line for some very pretty country! Remember the Burbon trail used to start out side of Cincy on US Hwy 50 with Seagrams...

Remember the Burbon trail used to start out side of Cincy on US Hwy 50 with Seagrams...
    ???? Seagrams is imitation whiskey, not bourbon. Neutral spirits takes very little talent, very little care and very little time. No need to worry about the quality of ingredients or the temp of the distillation. Seagrams is to bourbon as grain alcohol mixed with fruit juice is to wine.

Just because I don't drink doesn't mean I don't have respect for a true product of manufacture... Or disdain for cheap imitations.

all Bourbons are whiskey, but not all whiskeys are Bourbons.

Now don't be knockin' grain alcohol mixed with fruit juice...

I like a good bourbon, too, but I also like rum -- most of which is half-a-step from shine.....

Have to tell you that after 35 years of sampling different wines, I am a cheap and cheerful wine customer. Carlo Rossi in a jug, or Livingston Cellars, is just as good to me as expensive stuff.

Back to your regularly scheduled gun commentary.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Hiding behind a car is not cover, concealment maybe, but not cover
    SIG Sauer Academy has a Bullets on Vehicles course, should you care to test that statement.

Quick quiz: you're inside the vehicle and shoot out through the standard-sloped (front) windshield--which way is the bullet deflected?

but I also like rum
    There is rum and there is product labeled as rum. Since none of my immediate ancestors raised sugar cane I'm not as conversant with rum. I do know there are products labeled as rum that is essentially neutral spirits and flavorings.

Quick quiz: you're inside the vehicle and shoot out through the standard-sloped (front) windshield--which way is the bullet deflected?
    Up??

you're inside the vehicle and shoot out through the standard-sloped (front) windshield--which way is the bullet deflected?
    Is that a trick question? More likely even an angled ball would penetrate the glass and 'catch' it within the plastic inner sheet. The direction of travel would likely be to up and to the side depending on the curvature.

It is up. Pretty substanitally!

Obversely, bullets fired from outside to inside through the windshield get deflected down. I thought that was counter-intuitive, given the slope of the windshield; but there's a difference between a projectile bouncing off the windshield (can happen) versus going through.

It's a sharp crowd here!

It is up. Pretty substanitally!

Obversely, bullets fired from outside to inside through the windshield get deflected down. I thought that was counter-intuitive, given the slope of the windshield; but there's a difference between a projectile bouncing off the windshield (can happen) versus going through.

It's a sharp crowd here!
    Very true, for handgun calibers.

However, the Federal 165 grain bonded core will fly true through the windshield as long as the shot is taken at 125 yards or less. This is from a .308 Winchester, 2600 fps muzzle veocity, and 2400 pounds/feet at the muzzle.
    Hiding in plain sight....

Hi Powderman,

However, the Federal 165 grain bonded core will fly true through the windshield as long as the shot is taken at 125 yards or less.
    How many vehicles do you have where you can be more than 125 yards from the windshield while inside? What kind of mileage does it get?

Bwahahaha!!!!

Now, THAT's a stretch limo....
    Hiding in plain sight....

Carlo Rossi in a jug, or Livingston Cellars, is just as good to me as expensive stuff.
    Good. You drink what makes you happy -- leaves more of the real stuff for me.

They staked it out for five hours, sending in a robot and other surveillance before giving the all clear around 9 a.m.
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just holler "Anybody in there?" Well, at least they got to use the cool expensive robot and strut around for awhile.

Some parents we talked to said gun stores should be better regulated.
    What, they should be shunted outside the city limits like strip clubs? And then eventually banned altogether since human nature can't be changed?
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

Robbery or dumbassery? Louisville, KY

yes.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

There is rum and there is product labeled as rum.
    Having spent some of my formative years in the Caribbean, I can tell you that most people can't even name a brand of good rum.
    Real rum is aged in oak casks for years and can have all the subtlety of a fine cognac or small batch bourbon. It's not something you pour in a glass with pineapple juice.