Thread: Fat man needs advice on a workable gunbelt...

Fat man needs advice on a workable gunbelt...

Guys I need help, I'm trying to put together a holster, belt, and mag pouch rig for weekly range trips and eventually the local practical pistol matches.

So far I've got a holster (Blackhawk Serpa sportster with the paddle switched for a belt loop) and mag pouch (Tuff Products 8 In Line) that I like. But naturally BOTH of them are going to require something different in the belt department than my current 1-1/4", single thickness, leather, pants-holder-upper.. (Especially the Mag pouch, 8 steel 1911 mags containing a total of 64 rounds of 45acp isn't light by any stretch.)

Problem comes in the form of my need for a belt that is up to the task and available in sizes above 52". I wear 52-30/32 jeans/khakis, and I'm leaning toward wanting this rig to go over my existing street clothes, and be range use only. though I am amenable to going with a heavy-duty "double duty" type (gunbelt and street wear), If needs be.

My preference would be for a heavy-duty webbing/courdura type belt with quick release type buckle. but I am as mentioned open to suggestions.

thank you for your time and any help/input you can give me.

We think someone has blundered sir, and won't you tell them how? You wrote we were Heroes once sir. Please, write we are starving now! Rudyard Kipling- last of the light brigade

The vast majority of the Web seems to be ruled by sexually-oriented stuff; can't we have a little corner here to talk about innocent things like politics and deadly weapons? [Orthonym THR 10-27-02]

All hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet away you couldn't tell the difference. – Terry Pratchett

Sorry. Can't give you advice.
    However, if you have spare time, probably the best way to lose weight is to train yourself to march great distances. Walking 16 hours on just water and maybe some electrolytes sure burns up a lot of energy.. my 60-ish economist uncle does this. I think his record is eighty klicks in a day and something.

If you were to find that boring, you can always get an audiobook and listen to it while walking. (he likes thinking or just nature, so no books)

I've never seen a web belt in my size. I have a Blackhawk web belt (Max 49") with a couple of extenders... works fine, if you want a 2.25" web belt type of setup.

If you're OK with leather, try 'the beltman'. Max width to 1.75", max listed length 70". Great quality stuff, and if you get the internal stiffener, it'll never roll over on you. I've been wearing one... the same one... for over 3 years now. Still holding up very well. (no pun intended!)

I bought a nice, Heavy leather gun belt at a local gun show in 50" for $55 and have been wearing for daily use for several YEARS now! They ARE available, and at a good price, if ya look hard. This was in Virginia and I can probably find the guys info if you are interested.
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

add an extender to a belt you already like. use a laundry pen to match the color ( so long as it is black).
    Teachers can learn ua the rules;
    Experience teaches you the exceptions

If you look around you can find GI pistol belts long enough.

5.11 makes concealed carry belts at least up through 54/56.

Many of the belt makers will make one as long as you want but they charge enough that it feels like gouging for the extra length in many cases.

Do you have a leather shop around you, they can make you one.

Also check harness makers, both leather and nylon.

That should give you a few ideas.

Buckshot

L's post, good duty/pistol belts for + size shooters...

Unlike L's post(which is uncalled for & mean, IMO), I'd check these websites;

www.QMuniforms.com www.Blackhawk.com www.TheBeltman.net www.5.11tactical.com www.Galcogunleather.com www.UScav.com .

Bianchi, Blackhawk & 5.11 sell milspec type duty gear or belts that could work. As a "customer of size" I know it can be tough to find the right kit for shooting sports/duty uses.
    YES, you could work out & lose weight or improve your fitness level but that's not always practical.

As the ole chestnut goes; "if you can't say something nice...."

Rusty
    TUBBS: What makes us better than them?
    CROCKETT: We're better shots.
    NBC's Miami Vice

I know it can be tough to find the right kit for shooting sports/duty uses. YES, you could work out & lose weight or improve your fitness level but that's not always practical
    Yeah, i'm not this size by choice by any stretch...

Long story short I have a congenital defect of two tendons in each of my feet that wasn't properly diagnosed untill I was in my late 20's. I wear orthotics in my boots, and spend most days on fairly high doses of anti-inflamatories. Even with that the morning after a more active than normal day is usually filled with pain.

most folks have no idea how badly I would like to get back down to the 36-38" waist I had when I graduated highschool! or for that matter to have a waistline in the mid 40's again.

Anyway I think I've decided to get one of the Wilderness Instructor belts with the CSM (polymer core) Option. just waiting for my paycheck to drop now...

thanks for the input guys
    We think someone has blundered sir, and won't you tell them how? You wrote we were Heroes once sir. Please, write we are starving now! Rudyard Kipling- last of the light brigade

The vast majority of the Web seems to be ruled by sexually-oriented stuff; can't we have a little corner here to talk about innocent things like politics and deadly weapons? [Orthonym THR 10-27-02]

All hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet away you couldn't tell the difference. – Terry Pratchett

If you're near any Amish enclaves, look around for a leatherworker there. The local Amish charge $10 for a good leather belt that the local artsy crowd charges $60 for.

Checkout "the beltman" on the web, he has some good choices. I have a 51" belt from him and he goes larger.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Cabelas has a number of belts that have worked for me at reasonable prices.

My current carry belt is from Ross Leather at a not so reasonable price. If I buy another Ross belt, I will shell out the premium for the stiffener, not because my unstiffened Ross belt does not do the job, but because so many have recommended it.
    Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Take your time... Don't live too fast,
    Troubles will come and they will pass....

Well, apologies for meanness. I try to be direct.

But the truth is, we clearly haven't evolved for working in offices and commuting by car. There's even a decent study that suggests sitting itself is a lethal activity .. that it raises the risk of death, when all else is controlled for.

America; Handguns & car keys!...

In the great ole US of A we all have handguns & car keys!

USA USA USA!
    Btw; I guess some members here do not dine at the Heart Attack Grill?

Lol.
    NBC's Miami Vice

@Rusty

You do know that extensive aerobic exercise is the only proven way of generating new neurons in the brain? New neurons are born in all brains, but they only 'take root' in the minds of people who exercise. It's obvious.. we evolved as a non sedentary species. If we spend all of our time sitting around, it doesn't help the body at all. In fact, sitting is now considered a lethal activity by some, because one study has shown that if you compare groups of people, one which sits often, and the other doesn't, the sitters die earlier. No one knows why.. but it's so(and not so strange.. . Unless it's more bad science from .. but it seems to have some sense.

It's not widely known, but most very smart people have a healthy attitude to exercise..

I like bacon, in fact I eat it often. The key to being wiry is not eating too much, and moving plenty.

Fat men,sure they are better in a brawl, but they..make bigger targets ;-)

L's posts; HeartAttackGrill.com, belts-suspenders...

L's right about the need to improve overall health & fitness, but many forum members here(like me ) may not eat right or go to the local gym as much as they need to or should.
    I'd add that for a large belt or a lot of gear/weapons you may also want to add a harness or suspender system.
    I wear a 2.25" nylon rig with duty gear on some security details. I saw a good set up on www.UScav.com . They rig helps reduce the girth or weight around the wearer's waist or hips. This may also aid in preventing lower back or spine problems too. The nylon suspenders come in black, OD, tan & fit most belt systems.
    Blackhawk & Unkle Mike's sell harness rigs too. I've seen a few Fox Cops shows where uniformed LE officers in WA & OR wore the duty suspenders. I like the shoulder holster format.

Rusty
    ps; Check out www.HeartAttackGrill.com .
    NBC's Miami Vice

@Rusty

It's never too late to change one's habits.

I have few vices.. but I suspect if I refrained from
    a) playing computer games
    b) posting on forums..
    c) playing poker with flatmates

I could get a lot more stuff done. But it's fun.

Actually.. lard is healthier than vegetable oils. Because those degrade more quickly, and harmful stuff is produced in them. Lard is harder to degrade, so it's more healthy.
    Eating too much of it isn't.