Thread: Carrying around kids

Carrying around kids

Got to hang out with my almost-six year old nephew this weekend. Bugger is full of energy and he's quite good at chess.

On my way out I got a hug and he bounced his head off of my concealed 1911. Short of getting Nerf grips for it, any ideas for how to handle that? He didn't think twice about what he hit his head on, but I'd rather not have my favorite nephew getting head injuries.

His dad (my best friend of 22 years) is not anti-gun, but is a bit of a hoplophobe (sp?). Most of my efforts have been focused on helping to create and follow house rules when I carry. Does the GRM hive-mind have any suggestions for overnight stays at other peoples houses with kids?

I'm having to force myself to be careful and comfortable when playing. Especially at playgrounds. I don't want a bad move to expose or drop my piece. I can only imagine the ****storm that would ensue if I got an MWAG call at a playground. Any ideas for how to prevent or manage that?

if you are worried about being active and drooping your gun than you do not have the right holster--think retention, a strap over the hammer

if you are worried about exposing your gun than, again, you do not have the right holster

besides training with the gun, a large part of carrying is concealment and retention
    thus one may have 3 (or more) holsters for a gun to satisfy changing needs.
    -where am i going
    -how am i dressed
    -after i leave the house, plans may change; how will that affect where i am going and the way i am dressed?

multiple holsters for a single gun--now we need more/ different guns such that we can 'dress' for when we are going to walk the dog or play in the park vs a trip to the mall or downtown.

being around 'a' specific kid is not different than the random child in a supermarket.
    anticipate; plan and anticipate that you may not have covered all your bases--observe as you go through your day and play the 'what if' game.

im going to the park with my p380 in a 'holdster'
    it is just another wallet outline in my jeans pocket...with 7 rounds of 380
    Teachers can learn ua the rules;
    Experience teaches you the exceptions

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit
    On my way out I got a hug and he bounced his head off of my concealed 1911. Short of getting Nerf grips for it, any ideas for how to handle that? He didn't think twice about what he hit his head on, but I'd rather not have my favorite nephew getting head injuries.
    I think you're WAY overthinking this.

If he "didn't think twice about what hit his head", why should you?

Your body isn't a steel rod, a brick wall or any other immovable object. Your body gives under pressure. I also suspect you moved backwards as you were hugged.

From a "head injury" point of view, what's the difference in your pistol and one of these?

. . or better yet, one of these?
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Kids are a lot tougher than you give them credit for. They also have a different sense of cost/benefit. If he carried his single jack hammer in a shoulder holster I would gladly wham my head against it just to be able to hug my uncle one more time.

On my way out I got a hug and he bounced his head off of my concealed 1911. Short of getting Nerf grips for it, any ideas for how to handle that?
    Yes. Let him hit his head a few more times. He will stop eventually. Or you could guide him to your non-gun side during walks.

The head is a privileged anatomic site. It is armored, and so impervious to most bumps--it usually takes tools to violate the cranial vault, and even lesser tools (like small caliber bullets) have been known to fail. But the head has a lot of pain nerves, so it teaches you to protect it, even when the painful bump you just got didn't really hurt anything.

Perhaps we know of other privileged sites where significant pain occurs even absent any true injury?

I thought the issue here would have been being outed: kid bumps his head, and says,"Wow, that GUN YOU ARE CARRYING sure is hard!"

From a "head injury" point of view, what's the difference in your pistol and one of these?
    I won my pistol at the rodeo?

Administrator   
    Or you could guide him to your non-gun side during walks.
    That's what I did, but in general I don't let people on my gun side. My daughter hit her head a few times but now she knows daddy carries a gun there.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

What about a pocket carry side arm, J frame or one of the 380 semi's?
    Smee781

We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among the millions and millions of cows in America, but we haven't got a clue as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located.

Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of immigration.

^You mean in addition to the 1911? I couldn't agree more--after all, gotta set a good example for the kid!