Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daugther's First Rifle

My Daugther's First Rifle

My littlest daughter made 9 years old some days ago..
    so I buy a rifle to introduce her to the shooting..
    I choice a Henry mini bolt single shot cal 22 lr ..

is a nice rifle with short stock well suited for kid's arms and a safe handling..

To shoot you must open the bolt, put a round in the chamber, close the bolt and then pull back the firing pin to shoot and you can carry out all the loading operations with the safety on..

Now the proud owner..
    Rachele
    Last edited by ArfinGreebly; July 10th, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: minor cleanup
    don't hate the player, hate the game

Good for you! And for her as well. That Henry looks like the modern version of the Springfield I grew up on.

Parker

Grazie!

Well done.

A fine choice and an excellent start.

A good first step on the road to personal responsibility and confidence in life.

Thank you for sharing that.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

She has a nicer Dad than I did. My first rifle was a MkIV Lee Enfield with a LOT of rules attached.

Administrator   
    My son got his fist not too long ago, a CZ 452 Scout. Nice rifle, sir, and I hope your daughter has years of safe fun with it!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Administrator   
    Good job and beautiful daughter!

My daughter has had a pink cricket waiting for her since shortly after she was born. She's almost 4 now and asks to see her gun now.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Terrific!

May her shooting be straight and profitable to her. Nice gift, dad.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Administrator    
    Excellent gift, luchs!

I'm going to get a boltie (maybe a Henry or a Savage), a combo-barrel .410/.22 lr single-shot, and the Henry youth .22 lr (NRA instructors, you get a discount on these) - the 39A's a little out of the price range - to round out the action types in teaching first-timers (I have an ancient pump-action and a Marlin 60 semi-auto already), as funds (and space) permit.

Cool

Your daughter is too you to own a rifle so I advice for an adult supervision when she uses it.

Mmmm. I got mine from Pa at 6.

Parker

Your daughter is too you to own a rifle so I advice for an adult supervision when she uses it.
    you appear to be too young to use the internet.

I assume you mean "young" and perhaps you shouldn't resurrect old threads to nanny someone else on their parental skills?
    DON'T PANIC

heres mine a few years back (age 6)...shes 9 now and has out grown this gun.

once she mastered the little bolt action she wanted her own handgun, not one of Daddy's but her very own....got this for her last summer.

Jerry, you broke in to her, eh?

I have been avoiding the 'pink rifle' comments from my daughter for several years.

I am still trying to convince her that her Ruger 10-22 is the same thing!
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

I have been avoiding the 'pink rifle' comments from my daughter for several years.
    Dave and I have had the "pink rifle" discussion once or twice. I'm standing by the attitude that Donna needs to learn the rifle is a tool, not a fashion statement.

she is or at the time was, in to Pink everything. her bedroom, bed spreads, barbie this and that, shoes, nail polish........so when she wanted a Pink gun to i guess signify to her that it was hers and not mine i said o.k.

besides, shes about to shoot and make a fashion statement with one gun.

style, pizazz, a little flamboyant, but safe and a bull's eye shooter so much that its almost boring to watch her.

Jamie, its no different than wanting certain gips for your gun because you like the way they look, as long as they function correctly. besides, if its going to be her gun, let her choose...if its pink, then so be it.
    Last edited by JERRY; July 30th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Aw, let her have the pink one! Then teach her to outshoot all those mall ninjas who have to have black gear as a fashion statement.
    Who was it that said function has a beauty to itself?
    Everybody spread love

Nice rifle!

What a great smile she has! Good for you dad.
    Take your time... Don't live too fast,
    Troubles will come and they will pass....

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    She would be 12 years old today, about time to turn her loose on the range while papa sits back on the bench with his lemonade while she shoots expert with his old 6MM Sako at 300 meters.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

My prize shooter in our summer Jr. Smallbore group has a pink rifle. A custom fitted and modified Kimber from the CMP.

She also has a shooting mat in "make your eyes bleed pink".

With her shooting this winter, she is the #1 J-3 shooter (12 and under) in Ohio!

If all it takes to get them to do that is give them pink stuff (and I don't have to buy it, parents do), then give them pink. Just wear your sun glasses when the "make your eyes bleed pink" comes out!

She started our Jr. program two years ago in May. Last year she came back and also attended the Jr. Smallbore Camp at Camp Perry, Oh during the Nationals. She and her Dad also shot the SAFS-R while they were up there that week.

Buckshot

Congratulation to her, Buckshot. You're making me homesick, that's my favorite part of the country 8 months a year.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Paul,

How is that?

You one of those south shore fish chasers?

Really, you mean Ohio in general, northern Ohio or the Camp Perry area?

Thanks for the good thoughts, I will pass them on.

Buckshot

I grew up in Vermilion, later lived in Tiffin, Oak Harbor, and back to Vermilion (besides a couple stints in Pittsburgh, Detroit areaand Lima).

Spent a lot of time socializing in Port Clinton and Sandusky. Used to fish off the pier at Perry, catch the Mud Hens at Lucas County Rec...

Only moved south 5 years ago. Got sick of winter, and all 3 kids moved out about the same time somebody offered me a job in Mississippi.

I love visiting between May and September, especially when my employer pays the travel!
    Paul

On the subject of too young or too old to do <whatever.>

That depends on the child in question and the self honesty of the child's parent. I wasn't considered responsible enough for unsupervised shooting until I was 15. One of my sisters was running around with a cap and ball revolver unsupervised when she was 12. If Dad had his way my other sister wouldn't be unsupervised with a firearm and she is nearly forty. Now my brother... as for my brother I was taught that if you can't say something nice to say nothing at all.