Thread: Sales of baseball bats soar in London, UK

Sales of baseball bats soar in London, UK

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...ourth_day.html

This is what they have to resort to since they can't own guns for SD!
    I don't live in fear, I live in Alabama!!!

I recall people commenting on the price of machetes in Africa as a measure of the violence there. The powers that be cannot just ban machetes since they are a common agricultural implement. It would not take anyone very long to realize the utility of these implements for tasks other than harvesting crops.

It seems the people in the UK have realized the utility of a common sporting good beyond its original intended use. Will we be using the price of baseball bats in the UK as a measure of violence there? Will we see the people there allowed to possess implements more suited for self defense?

Unlike many nations in Africa where dictators rule, the UK has some semblance of democracy. Will the people continue to allow themselves to be disarmed? It seems the people have already spoken as the use of a baseball bat in the act of self defense is technically a crime in the UK and yet this does not seem to be a deterrent.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Unlike many nations in Africa where dictators rule, the UK has some semblance of democracy. Will the people continue to allow themselves to be disarmed? It seems the people have already spoken as the use of a baseball bat in the act of self defense is technically a crime in the UK and yet this does not seem to be a deterrent
    Maybe this is the beginning of the turnaround for the Brits.
    I'm hoping to see some .400 batting averages inflicted on these run amok rioters ,who are using the excuse of a cop shooting a citizen to loot stores of flat screens and burn down neighborhoods.

As Yogi said, "It's deja vu all over again". Sure sounds like L.A,Detroit,Chicago,etc.

We haven't had a .400 hitter since Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941.
    Lets see what the London bat wielders can slug.I'm rooting for them.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I wander what they think of the infield fly rule?
    I don't live in fear, I live in Alabama!!!

I wander what they think of the infield fly rule?
    Perfectly cool! Its been in effect since 1895 and continues to require fair play on the field! So play fair while smashing those thugs,Brits!

See the history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infield_fly_rule

Yikes!

Nothing like taking a baseball bat to an angry riot!
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Yikes!

Nothing like taking a baseball bat to an angry riot!
    I'd sure want the Babe,Willie,Mickey and The Duke with me!

It’s indeed a shame when one of the greatest countries the world has ever known is put to its knees by a minority group demanding more public assistance from the hard working class which is being robbed by the government of what they’ve earned by the sweat of their brow.

And now it seems England is having the same problem.
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

Why not cricket bats? To be used edgewise, of course.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

I'd want Ty Cobb on my anti-riot squad, too. Queer grip, but the meanest son-of-a-buck that ever swung lumber.
    "No one heals himself by wounding another." Saint Ambrose of Milan

"...a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Ps li:19

I'd want Ty Cobb on my anti-riot squad, too. Queer grip, but the meanest son-of-a-buck that ever swung lumber
    You are right Mr.James! I should have included the famous (and infamous) Georgia Peach in my gallery.

A .366 lifetime BA,12 batting titles including 9 in a row,over 4000 hits,near 2000 walks and RBI's and 900 steals,Cobb once owned 56 Major League records!

Still perhaps the greatest all around ball player, Cobb played with a vengeance and took no prisoners.Almost killed another player under the grandstand once and pulled a gun on numerous occasions.

A racist and homophobe Cobb was despised by opponents, teammates and sportswriters alike.But when the poll for the greatest player of the half century was announced in 1950 it was not the mighty Ruth but Cobb who won the title.

Voted in by the same scribes that hated his guts.
    Read Al Stump's biography of Cobb published in 1962 shortly after his death at 74.It's an amazing story of overwhelming talent,greed and hate.

Above,Cobb sliding into 3rd in 1909 at age 22.

Maybe our friends across the sea will push to get some gun rights back after this?
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Strange given the long English tradition of staffs, the local hardware stores aren't having problems keeping round wood sticks around...
    "What improves the circumstances of the greater part can never be regarded as an inconveniency to the whole. No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable." Adam Smith.

Strange given the long English tradition of staffs, the local hardware stores aren't having problems keeping round wood sticks around...
    That was so bad it was good!

That was so bad it was good!
    Well if the English lower orders are to riot, tradition and all. And mobs with staffs are a long English tradition...Wat Tyler, John Ball, and that lot.

Plus it'll raise the spectres of Richard Peeke...and Long Meg.

Although it seems to have quieted down, but methinks Cameron's blustering
    "The fightback has well and truly begun," said the Conservative leader, in power for 15 months.
    ....is going to heat it up again, as will the attempt to use face recognition hardware (which may mean innocent people get picked up). Cameron would have been better to say that order will be restored, perhaps that at least that won't lead the people who did not take part in the riots to begin believing the government is coming in as a conquering army.

Although the police in both the UK and US better hope that the mobs don't start to learn the old methods of breaking shield walls, which is essentially what the police use in modern modified form.

But it seems there may be more to this than just rampaging thugs...
    Police have arrested more than 1,200 people across England.

Among those charged were the daughter of a millionaire, a teaching assistant, a charity worker and an 11-year-old boy
    Would wonder if the austerity measures have raised the fear level to the point that more of the populace is believing they are in jeopardy.

And god help immigrant shopkeepers in both the UK and US, as rioters in both countries tend to go after them. (Even in the peasants revolt this was done, the peasants would stop people in London and ask them to say "Bread and Cheese". If the reply was Brot and Kase the peasants assumed they were Flemish wool traders and killed them)
    .....................................................................................................................

Actually in this form of situation a firearm would be useful but not the complete solution as it could as well result in being overrun by a enraged mob, or draw fire from the officials.
    Plus the report of a gun might draw more attention than expected....or as happened in New Orleans displaying that weapon to defend hearth and home will result in seizures by the police or military....

And really if austerity riots do start in the US it would do well to remember that our poor are armed with firearms...something exceptional in the English situation. And that a situation ending in gunfire could easily turn a riot into a revolt.
    "What improves the circumstances of the greater part can never be regarded as an inconveniency to the whole. No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable." Adam Smith.

Well if the English lower orders are to riot, tradition and all. And mobs with staffs are a long English tradition...Wat Tyler, John Ball, and that lot.
    Sorry,old chap! I thought you meant staffs like in,Upstairs,Downstairs and were throwing out an awful pun!

My sincere apologies! It's the way my mind works.Gotta get it right.