Thread: Knife Of The Day -- EKA Swede 88

Knife Of The Day -- EKA Swede 88

I must apologize for the lapse.

I had originally meant to do a regular feature KOTD thread, and life keeps messing with that.

However, here's the next in the series . . .

The EKA Swede 88.

Normally made with a Bubinga wood handle, this one is done in a lighter weight birch.

It doesn't look nearly this clean any more. Birch has a way of picking up skin oils and stuff. Nonetheless, it's still in fine shape, warm and firm in the hand, and tomato-slicin' sharp.

These photos were taken (as you can probably surmise) on the day the knife arrived in the mail (which is why they share a page with the Great Salami Slicing test).

Fresh from the box:

Close-up showing the Scandinavian grind:

Knife in open position:

Family photo: the Swede 88 with its big brother, the Swede 92:

All in all, it's a handy little knife. Surprisingly, even though the handle looks fat, its flat profile disappears in a front pocket where it rides light and easy.

The handle provides a good hold for cold or wet hands, and works well with gloves. The Scandinavians seem to do that with their outdoor knives. Wonder why.

It's a good general purpose knife, although for heavier work I would suggest its almost-twin brother, the EKA Nordic S8, also called the EKA S8 (not to be confused with the newer "Swede 8" which is an EKA/Outdoor Edge fusion design). The Nordic S8 looks just like the Swede 88, but the blade and spring are thicker and heavier, and they've dropped the point on it a bit, which would seem to be a concession to dressing game.

Here's a stock photo of the S8 for comparison:

Speaking of which, both the Swede 88 and the S8 have brass pivot screws that make it easy to adjust tension and take down the knife for cleaning.

I've been carrying this knife for more than a year, and it's held up well. The 12c27 Sandvik blade takes and holds a really good edge, although it's thin enough that for heavier use you may want to step up to the S8.

I can recommend it with confidence.

(Unhappily, you won't find it on the shelf most places here in the States, so you'll have to order yours online as I did.)

Last edited by ArfinGreebly; May 27th, 2022 at 10:09 PM.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

That's a cute one, thanks for posting it.

Unfortunately I've been working so much lately, I haven't had time to mess with knives much, except I did stop by a garage sale last weekend and picked up two used but serviceable Stanley 10-499s for 50 cents.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got one in each toolbox and each vehicle console - they're not very cool but they do cut things apart...

Parker

Edged tools...

Catspa--You said
    - they're not very cool but they do cut things apart...
    I do believe that THAT'S what knives are FOR...

Even after the horror of September 11, 2001, the humble box cutter is and will remain, a very useful tool. As a tool, we must remember that it is neither good nor evil--Those qualities reside in the mind of the person wielding the tool.

The Stanley Tool Works has been making good, useful, well-designed tools, since the mid-1800's, I do believe.

PS--I carry a box cutter myself. Had a hand injury a while back that made opening of my SAK difficult, but a one-hand-opening box cutter worked just fine. It worked so well, in fact, that I continue to carry one, even though (thankfully) my hand injury is long past healed up.

It's nice to have a blade at hand, that can be mistreated with impunity, and no bad feelings, if need be. Replacement blades cheap @ any hardware sto.

Arfin Greebly--That Swede 88 looks a LOT nicer than any Opinel!
    Last edited by Smokey Joe; August 22nd, 2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
    God Bless America

Smokey Joe

baby books should have as many pictures as possible because babies like to see pictures. Canada Visa Online-ansøgning

One of the most lucrative fields that you can get into as a salesperson is selling to other businesses and especially selling merchant accounts. how to start a credit card processing business

Read the Timeshare Exit Team review to get insight into the lawsuit. ... 2012 but also goes by a few other names like 'Reed Hein & Associates' and '321Exit timeshare compliance reviews

Axiom care – Genuine repairs with genuine parts. Visit Axiom care or Book online to avail repair service at your convenience. In case of your phones break down, we are authorized by Nokia to undertake all kind of Nokia mobile repair related issues right from basic hardware to software glitches.

john

Wonderful post was very happy reading the really important information for me thanks, I thought the man in the future. I will surely recommend this article with your friends, family and friends. You are really great so allowing good articles. Indiskt Visa Online

Albert

Easy Permit Chicago | Chicago Building Permits - Permit Studio. Permit Studio offers services for easy permit Chicago process One of the most crucial components of remodeling your home is obtaining a building permit in Chicago Construction can be held up if the proper building permits are not obtained. City of Chicago Easy Permit

john

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today.. Kev Thov Vixaj Hauv Is Nrias teb

Albert

Explore voice over translation services -Voice Over Services | Voice Dubbing Production - GothamLab Find the right voice over services for your project, in any language, Gothamlab offering quality voice over transalation and voice dubbing services since 2004. New York's leading voiceover agency. Hire professional voice over male & female artists.

Albert

The case is tough and durable, It’s sure to protect your device against high impact drops, scuffs, and scratches Cow phone case iPhone 11 FREE Shipping! Please Click here and visit our website for more details. Thank You

Albert

Discover nokia mobile repair in UAE. Authorized Nokia Mobile Repair Center | 20+ Year of Trust Get the best Nokia mobile repair service in your doorstep or our axiom care Book your Nokia mobile repair now at affordable price at Axiom care.

Explore how to remove color street nails - Your Beauty Essentials is a beauty website that explores the routines of inspiring women. We’re a dedicated team keen on providing you with the best tips and advice on Beauty, Makeup, Skincare, Body, Hair, Nails, and more.

As the pneumonia epidemic continues, more and more people will have to order to eat, but many people are relatively new to ordering takeaways, and most people think that traditional takeaways are the first for many people to eat. Visit this website & get party catering hong kong ,The service that will be used is actually a lot of small gatherings , mini parties as small as two or three people will be called. Free shipping and free exchange and return polices as well as Free snacks at FPs Checkout. Don't miss this chance. Attendance Discount|Latest Books Promotion|Kama Delivery Catering.

swfcws

the portable power ThePortablePower.com is an online store where you can find the best Amazon products.We know that it is hard to find awesome products on Amazon that suit your needs best. You spend hours if not days researching your desired product on Amazon but none fits your needs. We are here to help you. https://theportablepower.com/

JOHN

Teen Depression Treatment Hillside Horizon is an ideal place for families who seek additional support in helping their children and a better understanding of their child's mental health ... https://hillsidehorizon.com/

JOHN

Fort Fitness Fort Fitness is a training ground and Gym in Laguna Hills that empowers physical and mental growth. Call (949) 524-2529 to get started! https://fortfitnessusa.com/