Thread: Safe to eat suburban tree rats?

Safe to eat suburban tree rats?

Got some squirrels living in my gutters. If I can catch them, I would be interested in eating them.

I live in a suburb, is this healthy and safe? I can kind of see my local tree rats eating garbage and crap while country dwelling tree rats eat nuts and corn.

Put out a squirrel feeder then you won't have to worry about it.

Put out a squirrel feeder then you won't have to worry about it.
    Worry about their edibility or worry about them eating holes in my gutter guards?

What kind of squirrels are they? The red/gray varieties are hardly big enough to be worth eating, regardless of their diet. The big fox squirrels are quite tasty.

If you offer nutritious food they prefer the diet is more in keeping with livestock slated for human consumption. Your gutter guards are in jeopardy whether you feed them or not. Just hope your eaves are solid and they can't get into your attic. That's trouble!

if you get enough of them theyre just fine to eat.

most folks wont bother with cooking them if they only two or three lest they be really hungry.

I grew up on a farm. We shot and ate squirrels.
    ............and rabbits too. We called it hunting.
    I picked buckshot out of my food. lead. I'm still alive.
    My dad had a single shot Iver Johnson 16 ga. shotgun, I had a .22 rifle. I learned safe gun handling.
    It was life. (I still have both guns, never sell them, 50 yrs later.

Mt dad would clean them, and my mom cooked them. No big deal. What? you need the government to tell you it's good?

I'd say it's fine--IF your neighbors aren't trying to poison them, and possibly by extension, you.

If squirrels get into your attic they could burn your house down. I've got a 6-foot piece of Romex that was stripped completely bare as a reminder. (From somebody else's now repaired house.)

I hunt them with a pellet rifle in the backyard, course I bait them too. The cook up nice in the dutch oven.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

I've used Rat traps baited with peanut butter to catch them. Bait them without the bails set so they get used to eating the bait then give them a Special Surprise a couple days later...

Eat them? Hell No, hate the little bastards. We've got way too many of them and they need to die!

Really!??? why the sudden interest?

We don't have this problem down here, our squirrels are tiny and live in the ground. If I hit one with a 22 I think it would explode.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Picking buckshot out of meals?

Dunno...methinks, I'd load my own shells with soft steel balls and then use a big magnet to hoover them all up and recycle them..

Also imho, shotguns against rabbits are unsporting.
    .22 to vitals seems more proper and fair..

(The Britons are even more sporting: here's their style of rabbit hunting . Dress up in camo, creep up on them with a .177 airgun, and hit them in the heart or head)

Eating a squirrel? Sounds curious... I would not take the risk, anyways.
    Are you serious?
    Squirrel hunting is a really fun pastime. Pretty much all you can eat on a squirrel are the thighs. They look like little drumsticks. You just freeze what you have after each hunt and at the end of the season, you have a big feed.
    I've had fried squirrel, baked squirrel, squirrel on pizza, squirrel stew, squirrel with dumplings, etc.
    Someone is sure to ask; "...but, how does it taste"? Let me forestall that question. Yes, you guessed it, it kinda tastes like chicken.

I think Freiheit was asking if there was a possibility of urban squirrel meat being tainted by contaminates found in urban areas.

My street is lined on both sides with Walnut trees so we have squirrels everywhere. I've never seen them eat anything but nuts and birdfeed. I've never seen them rooting in the garbage cans. Keep an eye on them and see if they go near the garbage. If they do, don't eat them. Also take a look at the internal organs on the squirrels that you kill. For example; if the liver has spots on it, don't eat it.

Squirrels are too small. ... aren't cats meatier and easier to catch?

After cleaning, skinning and quartering, boil in water 20 to 30 minutes, pat dry then dredge in flour, salt and pepper and brown both sides in an iron skillet, then add a little water or lard and simmer two to three hours, remove from skillet and make gravey in same skillet, serve w/ mashed potatoes and biscuits.

I watch the squirrels in our neighborhood all the time. Nuts and birdseed.

My aunt trained one to eat toast with peanut butter once, when I was young. Actually got it to the point where it would take it from her hand. But I've never seen a squirrel in a household garbage can.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

People eat Tilapia (use them to clean the tanks of other fish) and catfish (bottom feeders). Goats eat anything but people eat them. Lobsters are the vultures of the sea.

Why do you care what a squirrel eats?

I guess because you see them eat.

Urban squirrels are fine to eat. And tasty.
    God created man, Samuel Colt made him equal

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    I hunt them with a pellet rifle in the backyard, course I bait them too. The cook up nice in the dutch oven.

CD
    MMmmm - YUMMY!!

(I hunt them the same way or catch them in a live capture trap.)
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

squirel brains

just a whack with a butter knife handle will get the best part of the squirell. may even make you smarter.

I feed mine cookies---they are safe to eat as long as you don't get caught by the cops.

tree rats

ate them often when growing up. i have some fat ones running around my house. i have never grilled one but i plan on trying it in the near future. going to prepare it like deer meat and see what happens.

Battered and fried in a cast iron skillet... just like grandma used to make... damn I'm hungry now

Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    Battered and fried in a cast iron skillet... just like grandma used to make... damn I'm hungry now
    Yes on the cast iron skillet anyway. Best to let them soak overnight in brine then just flour coat them. Best fried in beef lard so you have an interesting mix of flavors for the milk gravy made after the meat is fried.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to clean up a woods. Can't have Bambi living in a messy house.