Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we all dead?

Are we all dead?

We need a post in here at least once a month.

Time to pull the old friends out for another hunting season.

Anyone else going to burn some of the holy black this fall?

jim
    Commom sense isn't very common anymore.

Administrator   
    No, but I wouldn't mind getting a plains rifle or some other relatively easy percussion front stuffer for a beginner to try.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I'm not dead yet. Even if they did try to put me on the cart.

And I've been burning The Holy Black at the range as I get my revolvers. Currently have

1 Colt Walker
    1 Remington .44 Brassie
    1 Spiller and Burr .36
    2 Colt Navy .36 Brassies with 5 1/2 in barrels
    1 Colt Navy .44 Brassie
    1 Colt Navy .36 Brassie with 7 in barrel
    1 Thompson Center Renegade in .54
    1 Thompson Center Hawken in .50
    "A knight is sworn to valor; his heart knows only virtue; his might upholds the weak; his word speaks only truth, and his wrath undoes the wicked."

I hope to burn some, but I'm a much better hunter than finder.

I expect to go out this weekend and shoot some cap and ball revolvers. I live in the remote Utah desert, so it's just a short drive to a suitable place.
    You can't just shoot anywhere. The desert is covered in dry grass right now, like fur on a cat. Black powder is particularly bad for producing sparks, so I'd be afraid of starting a fire.
    I need at least 50 yards of bare ground to shoot over; not easily found in these parts.
    It hasn't rained well in weeks. Dryer than a popcorn petard out there.
    "And therein did I see an ugly cat. Blue smoke. Brimstone. Holes in paper. And this ugly cat was much amused." --- the prophesies of Gatodamus (1503 - 1566).

To hot here, and way to dry. Already had 3 grass fires on the range property.

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

Recently was gifted a Pietta .44 Army. Haven't shot black powder in decades. I guess I'll be in here soon with all kinds of silly questions.

Bear with me. What I know about charcoal burners would fill a thimble.
    Figure the Odds...

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods

My international collection, does that count, Italian made Ubertie Walker, American made Ruger Old Army, Norwegian hunting knife and I have no idea where my Hawk was made at. If somebody could tell me I would appreciate it all I find is ads for Cutlery when I try to look it up. It's an M48 in case it isn't obvious. Not shown is my Lyman Cougar in-line 50 cal rifle. I find it strange that I need 3 balls real close to each other in size but not exactly interchangeable.
    Walker 44 caliber - .454
    Ruger 45 caliber - .457
    Lyman 50 caliber - .490

The only guns I own that shoots the advertised caliber are my .410 shotgun and my 41 magnum. I wonder how come nobody else can do that.

'Uff Da', slaps forehead in my best imitation of Norwegian ancestor. My .410 measured .405. Only reason I bring .410 into the conversation is I am getting 2 reloading presses and I intend to load some of my .410 and 10 gauge shells in black powder. Don't know if that counts but hey its black powder shooting without the tedious cleaning chore my in-line gives me. I like the gun but never again will I buy a Lyman product unless they show me it's an easy clean like the rest of my guns are.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I forgot Misery moved the muzzleloader season back to Christmas. I was a little worried about having time to practice.

I'll have to clean the dust off the rifles and take a look at how much powder and lead I have for them.

jim

I plan on going to the range on monday.
    "A knight is sworn to valor; his heart knows only virtue; his might upholds the weak; his word speaks only truth, and his wrath undoes the wicked."

I'll kick this can down the road for October. New guy to this particular obsession, only have three working and one (currently) not working smokers. Will be shooting in the match next weekend in Brady, TX with Shiloh Sharps 1874. May even hit the paper.

I'm teaching this weekend at an event called School of the Musketeer. Musket and cannon will be, alas, blanks only. However, we do get to spread the Gospel of the Holy Black to new folks. I'm taking the matchlock, dog-lock, and wheel-lock down with me.
    Rule 37: There is no "overkill". There is only "Open fire", and "I need to reload".
    "7 Habits of Highly Effective Pirates", quoted in Schlock Mercenary

where did everybody go?

I'm not dead. Haven't died, ever, not even once.

You know, some of the last several posts could have been their own threads. Just sayin'

I've never claimed to be alive in the first place. I'm just a walking corpse.

I still haven't even officially been introduced to black powder.
    I've had a 58 Rem since June 2010 and I've not shot it yet.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Ok, I am interested. What should I start out with and not have to fight quality issues? Revolvers or should I start out with a single shot rifle? I do have easier access to a hand gun range though.
    And where in the Houston area can real Black Powder be had?

Note: No one similar to Selena's uncle is in the blood line so I have to buy ready made stuff.

If you are on the west side then Bass Pro in Katy Mills Mall has it.

At $26 a pound!

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

Thanks. I will wander by later this week and probably pick up something to start with. After watching Hickok45 I at least know to really seat that ball firmly.

Omnivore
    You know, some of the last several posts could have been their own threads. Just sayin'
    You are right.

I don't have a problem with questions inside this thread, but we might have a lot more going on if everyone was starting their own thread.

jim

Burned 90gr of 3F (and a little 4F) this week. Deer hunting is done for this year.

If God in His infinite wisdom had intended me to put up with the smoke and sulfur fouling of black powder, He wouldn't have inspired the invention of smokeless.
    Last edited by Selena; October 31st, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Aaaah but one can easily MAKE the Holy Black...not so easily this faddish "smokeless" stuff.
    A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

If God in His infinite wisdom had intended me to put up with the smoke and sulfur fouling of black powder, He wouldn't have inspired the invention of smokeless.
    Go to your room and sit with your face in the corner you naughty naughty woman. I suspect you were biting your tongue when you wrote that but what an awful thing to say.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Did some shooting with my nephew and introduced him to black powder last weekend. He got 4 shots on paper at 25 yards with my ROA, pretty good since I have been making him concentrate on his offhand shooting with a 22 rifle and this wasn't a gun he was familiar with.

Here are two 25 yard targets shot with 35 gr of Goex FFFg and roundball that I did. Bottom target is 3 rounds from a clean barrel and the top target are the next 3 from the fouled barrel. I was expecting the opposite so it was an eye opener for me.