Thread: Gunna be a daddy

Gunna be a daddy

Going to be a daddy in April. Mostly just so goddamn happy I'm telling everyone I can, even strangers on the internet.

I suppose you all might be able to give me some advice about how to deal with the whole kids and guns thing. I wasn't raised in a house with guns and my friends didn't have anything in the house other than a BB gun. I kinda gotta learn this second hand from anywhere I can. My current plan involves a quick access box for the nightstand (instead of just a holster) and Eddie Eagle when the bugger is older. Paying a lot of attention to my mates out in the hills and how they handle guns around their kids.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Administrator   
    Congrats! My wife and I went with a safe for non used firearms, and holster carry for self defense sidearms. At night we had the bedroom door shut and firearms in hard to reach from outside the bed locations.
    Then we utilized a LOT of exposure and education, so my now 11 year old son has no mystery, and plenty of safety education. He also loves shooting his CZ 452 Scout.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Congratulations. I have 3, all in their 20s now, and I enjoy them now more than ever!

My protection system when young was mostly high shelves and a lock or two.

Enjoy them as much as you can. They appreciate it, they can tell when you love them.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

some advice about how to deal with the whole kids and guns thing
    Time enough for that later. For now, enjoy, support, prepare...and get some sleep: you'll need it!

Administrator   
    Oh yeah, stock up on sleep and diapers!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I just had a son 6 months ago and its been great so far.

Congratulations!
    Gun Spot - Find any gun store or FFL transfer agent with this iPhone app.

Range Spot - Find almost any shooting range and training facility with this iPhone app.

Congratulations! Being the Liberal non gun-owner of 5 in the late '60's and early '70's the question never came up.

Now,having a Heston,Reagan type epiphany at mid age, my 19 grandchildren had to be thought about.But now the youngest is 4 so the problem is finite.

An R&D gun safe bolted to the floor has done the job safely for 18 years along with plain old common sense.

No sock drawers,no book shelves when the small fry may be investigating.

And of course I could always do a poll? You did once mention my strange proclivity if I remember correctly? Or was that Floater?

Anyway,forget that! Kudos again.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Congratulations. The time will pass too quickly. Enjoy, and live in the moment. Be there, be patient, be fair, try not to ever raise your voice in anger. Kiss a lot, and say "I love you" many times every day. Don't try to preserve the condition of their toys for them, let them learn that things can break. BB guns for Christmas when they're about Five. The four rules should be recited for daddy many times. ... And make them aware that kids talk about guns with doctors or government-school types. Homeschool if you can... ...It's way easier than you think.
    NRA Life Member. In the 60's, people took acid to make the world look weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it look normal.

Officer Ayoob has some advice for you!

I bought his book. It's quite short and good.

Also: congratulations! A healthy new baby is a miracle like no other. Mine arrived last December.

Congrats Freiheit!

From this point on expect advice from strangers that will treat you like a brain dead idiot on the subject of your child. At best their knowledge comes from children different than yours, at worst it comes from some book that collected the knowledge of "observers" and have zero practical experience in child rearing.

Take heart, despite the scary stories of shaken baby syndrome the child will not break with gentle handling. And when you are dragging yourself around like a zombie from lack of sleep remember the day comes that makes it all worth while. And it six years, when she puts her arms around your neck and tells you how much she loves you... Think back to the last thing you told her not to do and check to make sure she didn't I'll give you odds she did.

Selena

Oh yeah, stock up on sleep and diapers!
    Snort! Also, old re-runs of Mayberry RFD at 3:00am when baby is up and Mommy is sleeping (first clue, upon arrival at home is 'here is your child'!).
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

first clue, upon arrival at home is 'here is your child'
    At that point, take child and ask Mom is she wants to REST or to go out for some child-free-adult time. If the answer is REST...then swaddle wee one and VACATE with an agreed upon return time and let Mom REST. Boys and I had MARVELOUS fun at parks in the evenings and afternoons when Mom needed a break.

A GOOD, Reliable babysitter on Speeddial is good too, I used to pay MUCH better than average, IN CASH at the door upon my return and after ascertaining that all was well. good babysitters are like platinum...We paid well enough and in CASH that we seldom had trouble finding a sitter when needed.
    A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

My current plan involves a quick access box for the nightstand (instead of just a holster) and Eddie Eagle when the bugger is older.
    Sounds like a plan.

Frau Sensei Pax has an extended section of kids and guns on her site.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

Administrator    
    Congratulations, Freiheit!

Keep moist anything that is used to clean up the baby's surfaces .... faces, noses, mouths, eyes, ears, and butts .... Be gentle .... dab, don't wipe.

(And a safe is never a bad idea; But examine your own unique circumstances, e.g., nature of sleeping pattern/alertness, type of HD-designated firearms, whether ccw, storage options and specific locations/placement, layout of home, in order to balance the need for 'accessibility' against the need to protect against the dangers posed by your child's inadvertent access to the firearm(s).)

Good work,freiheit.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    The only thing I can add is that...you don't have babies. They have you.

Focus on the little critter's arrival and enjoy yourselves. Plenty of time to worry about the guns.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

congratulations! i can see the joy from your post