Thread: Day of the Jackal (1973)

Day of the Jackal (1973)

I was channel surfing one night a few years ago while fighting the flu and stumbled on to this little gem. I had only seen the (97) Bruce Willis version and vaguely remember that this was a remake. While more of a thriller than a gun movie.....a silenced .22mag and a few pistols here and there .....ohh yeah and the end of the movie shot from a pistol that launches the man to the upper part of a wall......other than that scene i really enjoyed the total 70's look of the movie. check it out if you get a chance. as an after thought to keep this on topic....the moral of the story is that criminals and terrorist willl always have access to firearms.

Taken from the IMDB page:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069947/
    Storyline

It is the early 60s in France. The remaining survivors of the aborted French Foreign Legion have made repeated attempts to kill DeGaulle. The result is that he is the most closely guarded man in the world. As a desperate act, they hire The Jackal, the code name for a hired killer who agrees to kill French President De Gaulle for half a million dollars. We watch his preparations which are so thorough we wonder how he could possibly fail even as we watch the French police attempt to pick up his trail. The situation is historically accurate. There were many such attempts and the film closely follows the plot of the book. Written by John Vogel <jlvogel@comcast.net>
    Springfield 1911A1, Bushmaster M-Forgery, Beretta 1201FP, Yugo M70AB2, Norinco SKS x2, Various others
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Administrator   
    It was an excellent movie. Better than the remake.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

A fine taut thriller. Edward Fox is outstanding as The Jackal. Fred Zinnemann excellent Directing as usual.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I found myself rooting for the French detective, who has his own quiet ruthlessness.

"But, Inspector, how did you know who's phone to tap?"

Boy, oh boy! I have not seen that movie in ages. What channel was it on if I may ask? Rabbit ears or cable/dish?

That was a very good movie. I saw both versions but it was a long time ago.

Catherine

@Loosedhorse...... I felt conflicted as well as i kinda wanted the jackal to complete his mission but was cheering on the inspector to.

@Catherine....... I watched it about 2-3 years ago on (I believe) TCM on cable. Turner Classic Movies

And would like a accurate count of how many dang cigarettes were smoked by the inspector and his cohorts ......:-)

FYI I just ordered the DVD thru amazon for about $8.95.
    Last edited by Rusher; October 13th, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Update
    Springfield 1911A1, Bushmaster M-Forgery, Beretta 1201FP, Yugo M70AB2, Norinco SKS x2, Various others
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

The original was a mystery-suspense-thriller of the old school. The remake was a "action movie". The original will be around after the remake is forgotten.

The sniper rifle resembles a Savage/Stevens singleshot modified to use an enlarged cocking piece to turn the bolt.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

I take it I am alone in enjoying Bruce Willis' rendition? "Don't run, you'll bleed faster!"
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Member of the Liberal Gun Club

@ ErikO I didnt mind the Bruce Willis version, but I just couldnt get over Richard Gere and that horribly fake Irish accent. In this rendition I was hoping trhat the Jackal would take out his target and Richard Gere at the same time

In this rendition I was hoping that the Jackal would take out his target and Richard Gere at the same time.
    Now that would have been a blessing!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I haven't seen either one all the way through. Gonna have to fix that this winter.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

I enjoyed the remake, but the original was better. I even got a kick out of bruce willis bleach blond and Gere's horrible accent. The remote gun was pretty cool too!
    Not all problems can be solved by shooting the heck out of them..... Well most can, and if not then high explosives can really be your friend!

If you can't do something smart ........ do something right!

There are only 2 people in this world I trust and you ain't one of'em!

Watch the original when you are in the mood for a suspense movie; watch the remake when you are in the mood for an action flick.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

...or read the book by Frederick Forsyth, its better than both movies.

The book was great, although I no longer remember the details 35 years after the reading, but I remember it entranced me for a week.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.