Thread: Armed America

Armed America

I watched a part of this last night during the intermission of the Hockey game I was watching. And I intend to go watch the rest on the web page later.
    What little i saw looked balanced, but I have to see the rest.
    Just thought I'd share.
    http://current.com/shows/vanguard/89...ic-america.htm

I believe that series is "Guns in America" (not to be confused with "American Guns").

"Armed America" is the title of a book by Clayton Cramer, written as an answer to Michael Bellesiles' "Arming America".
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

It's probably a shock to the masses to find out common citizens can legally fire FA weapons much less legally own them! I know the only reason my uncle bought the house I live in now is because the previous owner rented it to Chicago people transplants. Their first actions moving in was usually to call the sheriff about my uncle's Gatling guns.

Read the comments, they are most enlightening.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

At one point in that video he showed the '80 people killed by guns a day' stat on the bottom of the screen. I'm guessing most people who haven't done much research on the numbers see that and think he's talking about murders. 'Gun deaths' has got to be one of the most misleading stats out there.

Wow, just wow. If you actually make it through to the end of that video he wraps it up with some musings that go something like "who's responsible for homicides, the dealer, the manufacturer, the hobbyists, the gang members?" Is he serious? Ummm, I'll take a wild stab in the dark, go out on a limb, and say that the guy who committed the homicide and was duly convicted in a court of law is to blame. Of course, many of those who want to blame the manufacturers, dealers, and hobbyists want to let the actual murderer out on parole early
    Last edited by happygeek; November 20th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Yep, just run over the Ben Franklin and buy an $800 H&K. Sell it in Camden for $200?
    Straw purchase my butt. You couldn't make living selling purchased in Philly guns to sell them in Camden, even Ravens and Jennings.
    I lived in Gloucester and Camden counties. 1959 thru 1989. Nearly impossible to get the local Police Chief to give me a handgun permit and he was a cousin. Had a shotgun, that's good enough he'd say.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    I'm starting to watch now. It seems to be quite balanced so far and done with the professionalism of a proper journalist who is starting with an open question rather than a thesis. Update posts to follow.
    Resident Liberal

Update #1: 4:18 in. Fair and balanced. They're at the Knob Creek MG shoot. He just gave the myth that the 50 BMG compression wave can decapitate someone.
    Resident Liberal

Update #2: 14:44 in. Still objective. He has told about how it takes a lot of money to get anything full auto, plus paperwork and a spotless record. "All these people are law-abiding citizens; you gotta be on the straight and narrow to get one of these things." He has said how the people at Knob Creek are a diverse bunch of hobbyists. He has also talked about gun show versus gun laws. He definitely knows his guns and is not at all afraid to get behind then and empty out some mags.
    Resident Liberal

Update #3: 22:53 in. He has just finished Knob Creek. Stated that it is definitive that guns are a part of America and make the country unique.
    Resident Liberal

Nice EDC knife he has.

Update #4: 38:08. Still fair and balanced. He's gone to Camden in the PRNJ to look at the criminal side of gun usage. He's embedded with the U.S. Marshalls. He's also talked with Camden community leaders. They're blaming the comparatively laxer gun laws in nearly Philadelphia for the guns in Camden. The gun store owners blame theft and straw purchases. He met with an ER doctor, who believes in hydrostatic shock from more powerful cartridges. He went into a police evidence room. Identified a ton of guns correctly. A bit of the stuff is sensationalizing such as talking about the high powered 5.56. At least he is playing tight and true with most of the facts.
    Resident Liberal

His 50 BMG comments around the 4 minute mark have to be wrong about the legality in war.

Update #5: 50:58. The man concluded his segment by continuing with the police. Some of the people in the Marshalls were talking about the criminals using automatic weapons regularly and therefor needing to be heavily outfitted in response. He also spoke with the head of Ceasefire. He gave a conclusion by letting the viewer come to their own conclusion following a reading of the Second Amendment.

Reflection: The journalist is probably at least moderately pro-gun, if not just an open-minded ambivalent. He doesn't blame the guns for the actions taken by their users. As far as objective journalism goes on guns, this is pretty much as good as it gets. I recommend that everyone watch this.
    Resident Liberal

Mort you may want to read his comments on the article, very anti-gun, very anti-freedom.
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

I just watched it again and I've now seen that he has a bit of a rather poorly hidden anti agenda going on.
    Resident Liberal

I just watched it again and I've now seen that he has a bit of a rather poorly hidden anti agenda going on.
    So poorly hidden that didn't fool you for a second?
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

So poorly hidden that didn't fool you for a second?
    Well, it wasn't as blatantly horrible as I'm used to seeing so it seemed about neutral.
    Resident Liberal

I thought it was somewhat neutral until it got to Camden NJ.

Nice EDC knife he has.
    What time mark?