Thread: Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People

This is a new catchy lttle tune that is getting a lot of radio play. I heard it a few times before the lyrics reall set in as to what the band is talking about.

Here is a link that has the song with the lyrics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLzX0RPquk

Here is what wiki has to say about it as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped_Up_Kicks

Notice where the article says this:
    Mark Foster at Mophonics in the Venice district of Los Angeles. Contrasting with the upbeat musical composition, the lyrics describe a youth's homicidal thoughts of a killing spree.
    Now this is my gripe about the song. I had serious issues about the media giving so much attention to the school shootings like Columbine. There was an outbreak of them shortly after. I feel the reason was b/c there was a few kids out there that felt the same way as the columbine murderers did. Giving them all the media attention added fuel to the fire IMO. This was ultimately what the kids wanted and the media catered to them. Enabled them if you will. So my feelings about this song is that it may very well give another adolesent the idea to do a school shooting and then the media will go crazy and possibly provoke another.

Am I being crazy or do I have a legitimate arguement?
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

In interviews, doesn't the author of the song blame the violence on lack of family, lack of love, and isolation?
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Kids hear the song.

Kids don't always watch an interview.
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

For play on MTV, MTVu, The Pulse and The Blend, the words "gun" and "bullet" were removed from the song's chorus
    WTH??

All sorts of other foul language is allowed, but Rihanna takes off her clothes, but gun and bullet are censored?

What about gangsta-rap where they are "bustin caps" and "glock fotay"?

Tis brings up a question that serves its own thread, why the discrimination against an alt-rock group and not gangsta rap?
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Administrator   
    I have heard it, and the words "run faster than my bullet", "outrun my gun" caught my attention. Now every time it comes on, I switch channels. I explained the school shooting aspect to my wife, and she was sickened. These people aren't "fostering the people", they're "fostering violence". They have the 1A right to say it, I have the 1A right not to listen, or have my child listen.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    I thought it said:

"All the other kids got their skulls bashed in
    When they tried to grab, to grab my mutton.
    All the other kids with their skulls bashed in
    Should have asked to take my muffin"

I wish I didn't bother to learn the official lyrics.
    Resident Liberal

It's been a while now so I don't recall where I heard or read this but the band has said the lyrics are about a student's dreams or wishes, not his actions. The kid in the song finds his dad's gun and cigarettes and thinks about what he could do with them.

So my feelings about this song is that it may very well give another adolesent the idea to do a school shooting and then the media will go crazy and possibly provoke another.

Am I being crazy or do I have a legitimate arguement?
    There's already enough stuff to give kids crazy ideas. Some kid might take something out of history class and take it the wrong way and act on it. Censorship is not the way to deal with this. I might not like what he says but I'll defend his right to say it.

I'll take my example of taking lessons from history the wrong way and make a specific example. A student studying the American Revolution will learn about the "shot heard 'round the world" as part of American history class. If some messed up kid sees this as justification for shooting up the local Burger King does that mean we no longer teach kids about the American Revolution?

Let the song play on the radio unedited. If a person cannot make the distinction between fantasy and reality then the radio needs to be removed from that person, not have the song removed from the radio. We can't bubble wrap the world.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

This is in the same boat as blaming video games for school shootings.

I like it, it's a catchy song.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    Agreed, it's so impossibly catchy that you feel as if it must've been playing all your life.
    Resident Liberal

I like it, it's a catchy song
    I didnt say it wasnt catchy or a good sounding tune.

Remember when Pearl Jam had their hit Jeremy Spoke? Then the Columbine tragedy happened and they fell all over themselves apologizing for the song.

I am not saying bubble wrap the world, I am saying dont be in favor in of music that may enrage or put ideas in young impressionable minds.

I have heard way too many people speak out against rap music and its lyrics.

So I must warn everyone posting in this thread. I have a thread I searched for where a lot of people on this board commented and spoke against rap music and the lyrics. So with that being said be prepared to look hypocritical when I start quoting it.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Administrator   
    My son has a radio in his room, and he picks his own station. We tried to raise him with respect and decency, and he alternates between country and a local Christian station, his own choices as an 11 year old. If this song, or any other song that I personally find offensive, plays on the radio that I have control over I will change the station. I will not reach out and change other peoples stations, not my right to do so, nor will I let others pick my station either.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/