Thread: Triggers on The Military Channel

Triggers on The Military Channel

Decent show so far IMHO, but they badly need to find a new graphics artist. I'm only halfway through episode 4 and he/she has already showed a digital picture of a FAL when it was supposed to be a M14 and showed what had to be a 7.62x39 magazine (judging by the curvature) in a M16 from the 1960s.

That last test they ran was weird. The host and one other guy had M4s with sim rounds vs 6 AK bad guys also with sim rounds of course. If you watch closely you notice that the bad guys were wearing paintball style face pro but the two good guys were only wearing eye pro Makes me wonder if that wasn't rather staged. I don't know about other people, but I'd rather not take a sim round to my unprotected face.

They neglected to even mention the AK-74 too.

Eh, still a decent show. The host keeps it entertaining. I did really like episode 3 on artillery. At the end of that episode they shot a 155mm that apparently was privately owned (it was the same guy who about halfway through the episode showed the host how to shoot a Swedish 'leather cannon'). If it was indeed privately owned I'd be rather curious to know how the owner makes the rounds. I'd assume the shells are reloadable and the owner said on the show that the HE round they were shooting was packed with TNT. I guess he has all the necessary explosives licenses and makes his own HE rounds and primers.
    Last edited by happygeek; December 29th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Next thing you know, they'll be showing a SMLE when it should be a Galil.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

I call no good.

I lasted 15 minutes into the first on 1911s.

I don't like re-enactments and BS theoretical comparisons.

The host was another claimed ex-Seal looking for stardom.

Real disappointment.
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The AK-47 (iron sights) vs M-4 (2x scope) against traveling coconuts. Two different shooters. NO WAY to compare anything! You want to compare anything, you don't stack the deck against one, as opposed to the other. Blowing up coconuts is spectacular, but penetrating kills just as dead. I also wondered about the hokey 2 against 6 setup. That ATV "attack" was a joke, at best. Entertaining, but not clear nor accurate comparisons. Still better than watching Oprah.

AK 47, a good weapon, I love to have it

"AK 47, a good weapon, I love to have it"

But of course; not fancy, not precision, not really powerful nor super accurate, but it goes BANG every time, and gives a palm-sized group out to 250-300 yards (bi-pod & 4x scope) - suits me just fine. In my pauper price range, too! Don't need a gunsmith, either. Now for those 1,200 yard sniper shots, not so good (unless you hike 900 yards closer).

sailor, that's what the PSL is for... 8>)

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    I saw their RPG episode and that, in and of itself was stupid. How can you call a Carl Gustav AT Recoilless Rifle or a Stinger SAM a rocket propelled grenade? Seriously, man! I caught that one episode on DVR and then removed the rest of the Queue.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Technically, a SAM is a rocket propelled grenade with an infrared seeking head. The difference is the power of the rocket..etc. Also, there'll soon be infrared RPG warheads..

Recoilless Rifle
    It is a recoilless gun and it is rifled.
    Where's the beef?

Surface to Air MISSILE. It's not a rocket, it's a Missile. The Carl Gustav is a Recoilless Gun/Rifle. Not a Rocket Propelled grenade. I know it's more semantics, but it got under my skin. I'm strange like that.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

But you were complaining about them calling Gustav a recoilles rifle.

Also... missile/rocket? You telling me Stinger doesn't have a rocket engine? Anything with a rocket engine is a rocket in my book...

Missile is far more generic term. Aren't arrows missiles too?

I've not been impressed. 100-200 yard shots with WWII main battle rifles is not terribly impressive. Another show I caught had him using some variety of modern sniper rifle, at like 150 yards.

Wil Willis is an entertaining host, I want his shows to be good, but they always fall flat. They fail to engage my resident-normal-person (my wife) nor do they convey any new information to the resident-gun-nut (me).

Typical canned Demo. with the AK-47 VS M-1 Rifle

Plus I didn't know someone could change Magazines in the middle of a "firefight" with an M-1 I thought the clip ejected as soon as the last round was fired and the next one was loaded with 8 more....did he have to take the floor plate off and change springs or something in between the camera cuts?

Another thing about that Episode...

Miss quote * though I wouldn't put it past them to write something that stupid*

In rockets there are unguided rockets like the WWII bazooka, and there are guided missiles like the antiaircraft Stinger.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Rockets are unguided, missiles are guided.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

If missiles are guided, why do soldiers keep call TOW an ATGM, antitank guided missile?

Why is a Harpoon designated as RGM-84? Radar Guided Missile 84, it is the designation created by bureaucrats, it doesn't have to make sense.
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    Plus I didn't know someone could change Magazines in the middle of a "firefight" with an M-1 I thought the clip ejected as soon as the last round was fired and the next one was loaded with 8 more....did he have to take the floor plate off and change springs or something in between the camera cuts?
    The M1's en block clip can be manually ejected at any time...empty or not.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

If missiles are guided, why do soldiers keep call TOW an ATGM, antitank guided missile?
    Because TOW's are guided.

Okay, I watched a few more episodes since there wasn't muh going on lately and after the scathing review on the RPG episode, I decided to give the show a second review. It's entertaining. As a gun nut, I can recognize some experts from other non-fiction shows (can't really call it a documentary) and usually predict what they're going to say from the descriptions leading into the next guns. It was entertaining but I didn't really pick up anything new.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    As a gun guy, it's entertaining, a bit educational, and not so bad as the internet makes it out to be. I saw the AK episode and sent the cat scrambling when I exploded into laughter at labeling an FAL as an M14. The AK episode was not too helpful for me because I'm a rifle guy and there wasn't much it could teach me. Now the M1911 episode actually did teach me some stuff because I am not at all a handgun guy. I do see the whole stacked tests thing. For example, the Luger guy was using a one handed shot from arm's length while the host shot from a modern weaver stance using two hands, and he's definitely flat out a better pistoleer. During the Garand episode, I found it rather painful that they failed to mention the Mosin-Nagant or the Drysen Needle Gun. The AK final tactical test was a joke. I haven't been extensively trained in combat, but I know to take cover, set ambushes, and aim down the sights; those are the sort of things that you learn just from laser tag. The guy's marksmanship with rifles might be a bit suspect, because he used a scope for a 200M shot. It's probably for appearances. I've got the SMG episode upstairs on the DVR. I'll watch it tonight and say what I think afterwards.
    Resident Liberal

I watched part of the AK-47 episode.
    When he advised that part of the devastation of the AK was due to the 'tumbling' of it's bullets, I deleted it.
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

When he advised that part of the devastation of the AK was due to the 'tumbling' of it's bullets, I deleted it.
    The 5.45x39 round used in the ak74 has a steel nose so that upon impact the round travels at an angle to its original path. The round was designed that way.