Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada Confiscates semi-auto rifles~~~

Thumbs down Canada Confiscates semi-auto rifles~~~

Canada is confiscating certain rifles including some .22 rimfires.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/12...r-rifle-owners

When Bill C-68, the gun registry bill, was being debated, opponents said registration of firearms would lead to their eventual confiscation.

Now that is happening.

Just before Christmas, owners of certain firearms were informed by letter that their rifles had been reclassified as prohibited weapons in Canada and they must be turned over to police officials.

Failure to comply would mean the weapons would be taken by force and the owners thrown in jail. The reason for the change: The rifle looks scary.

MORE ON THE LINK.

Catherine

Read some of the replies to this news story.

One is by 'the bits'.

QUOTE:

"So true, I was one of the fools (law abiding citizen) who registered my hunting rifle. I assumed everything was in order, received a possession only licence and never thought about it again. That is until I was informed, by telephone, by a metro police officer that he was coming to my house to collect my firearm as the possession licence had expired." MORE on his post.

MORE on the NEWS link for more replies.

Catherine

Failure to comply would mean the weapons would be taken by force and the owners thrown in jail. The reason for the change: The rifle looks scary
    Now we know what they mean by, Oh,Canada!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

It's been awhile, but I used to spend a good bit of time in Canada. Relatives lived there and I visited quite often.

It's a nice country in many ways, but I dislike two things about it.

The weather stinks 8 months a year.

The citizens are entirely too accepting of authority.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

The citizens are entirely too accepting of authority.
    That is unfortunately true of most of the USSA.

There are only about a half dozen states in which I would even remotely consider living.

But I have it on good authority that a lot of guns in Canadia are not registered. We had some neighbors for a while (gone now, happily - they turned out to be not such nice folks) who moved down here from northern BC a couple years ago. They said that they had to leave a bunch of guns behind because they couldn't take them across the border since they weren't registered.

Although ... it makes me wonder that even the USSA would enforce Cuh-nay-jun gun laws ????
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Administrator   
    Registration leads to confiscation...again... Is there a list of what is not verboten?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I am originally from International Falls MN and I have known all my life that canaduh is crap. I can give you a list of reasons but the biggest is their threat to our national security not even including this issue....Check into the canuck trucking industry, importation of pakis whom are then given citizenship and cdls, then sent into the USA.....NO border control whatsoever except at the 5-6 major crossing points with big roads....EVER get a dui,dwi,owi, etc? Then you cannot EVER go into canaduh, but they can come here and get all they want, run home and never even go to court... I must stop now or I will go on all night. I HATE CANADUH AND THE VAST MAJORITY OF ITS PEOPLE....except this girl: She is 20 years old now and has been publicly fighting this for quite a few years. http://www.youtube.com/user/kateysfirearmsfacts
    Actively seeking a used, cosmetically flawed .357 lever rifle. PM me with offers.
    The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
    Come join the Second Amendment March, and help reclaim your birthrights as an American

Gee whiz, haven't they heard of the Bill of RIghts up there?

Oh... wait. That's for Citizens. I forgot they were just Subjects.

is their threat to our national security
    Facepalm...
    You people keep buying that line hook, line & sinker.
    If it's riddled with Pakis, how come there hasn't been one measly truck bomb set off in the US, eh?

Well, we've all been told that the Registry failed in its supposed purposes: preventing "gun crimes" and helping to solve them.

It's nice to know that it is in fact quite good at its real purpose: confiscation of legally held citizens' arms, in the furtherance of governmental power. At least they've gotten their tax dollars' worth!

biblio cite for linked article:
    Brian Lilley, "Bureaucrats gunning for rifle owners", Toronto Sun, 15 Jan 2012

The specific target is the Armi Jager AP80, a .22 rimfire replica of the AK47 which has no parts in common with the AK47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armi_Jager Armi Jager stopped making guns in the early 1990s. Jeez, these guns are collector's items.

The Armi Jager AP74 (.22 LR) was used as a stand-in for the M16 in the orginal "Dawn of the Dead". Maybe that's why the bureaucrats feel threatened: they identify with zombies.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Well, we've all been told that the Registry failed in its supposed purposes: preventing "gun crimes" and helping to solve them.
    It is finally working, actually.
    In the absence of gun crimes, the registry will now be used to CREATE criminals.
    DON'T PANIC

I foresee another run of guns lost in tragic canoe accidents. Of course, it's difficult to lose a boatload of guns on a Canadian lake in January, but I suspect people in the western provinces will manage it somehow.

I had no idea boating accidents happened to firearms too. I thought it was just you know, disgruntled employees, ex-spouses, nosy journalists..

Talk to any western Canadian. It's a running joke since the mid 90's. Apparently, the bottom of every lake in western Canada is carpeted with lost guns.

If I'm ever passing through the region, I 'll bring a wetsuit and a magnetomer

Just don't (if you want to stay welcome) bring that magnetometer too close to any freshly dug "flower beds" or "vegetable gardens."

I foresee another run of guns lost in tragic canoe accidents. Of course, it's difficult to lose a boatload of guns on a Canadian lake in January, but I suspect people in the western provinces will manage it somehow.
    Ice fishing accidents...I actually did lose a really nice brand new Buck 119 on an ice fishing trip to lake of the woods one winter. I got it for Christmas and a few days later my father, my uncle and myself went fishing...We weren't having much luck so I set a tip-up outside. A bit later I looked out the window and saw the flag, went running and found a fish on the line that I couldn't handle. After yelling a bit, dad and uncle dave came out to help. The 8" hole had frozen shut a bit around the edges and the fish was too big to come through the hole. Dad stuck his arm in and held the northern by the gills while dave used my knife to chip at the ice until we could get the fish out and he dropped my knife....I have only spoken to dave once since and never will again. He not only lost my NEW 119 without replacing it, but he also claimed the fish as his, bragged a LOT for the next few days without mention of ME, won a contest with my fish, had it mounted and still claims it as his to this very day. 17#6oz Northern Pike through an (originally) 8"hole in the ice...Dad never even backed me up on it and I still hold a grudge against him too, but other things have caused him and dave to no longer speak either. I was like 14 years old, what a bunch of crap.
    Facepalm...
    You people keep buying that line hook, line & sinker.
    If it's riddled with Pakis, how come there hasn't been one measly truck bomb set off in the US, eh?
    While they are virtual enemies of the USA, the threat doesn't come from "terrorist" activity but rather the fact that they CANNOT drive and are undermining OUR freight and freight rates by illegally moving loads about the USA when they are only allowed to pull into the USA and straight back to canaduh.
    Last edited by ThrottleJockey; January 15th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
    Actively seeking a used, cosmetically flawed .357 lever rifle. PM me with offers.
    The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
    Come join the Second Amendment March, and help reclaim your birthrights as an American

Tragic ice fishing accident.

...AAAaand I see that ThrottleJockey got there first. Oh well.

Re: OP - the cynic in me wonders whether the same people who trumpeted about how vital and safe and necessary this law was for Canada, and how it proves it would work just fine here, will no loudly shout that we can't use the failures of foreign law to judge what would happen here in the United States...

Of course, we can then point to the 1967 NYC registration law (confiscations started in 91), and CA's '89 Roberti-Roos registration law which has also resulted in confiscations (also starting in 91, IIRC). "It can't happen here,"? It *HAS* happened here! Here, and just about everywhere else it's been tried, as far as I know. May take more time some places and less in others, but it never seems to fail to happen.
    "It's time we quit solving the wrong problem
    The problem is the bad guy, not his tools.
    Solve that."
    - ArfinGreebly, mod at THR.us

Canadians historically "trust" their government far easier than Americans do.
    Knowing how to handle pressure is necessary for survival.-Admiral James Stockdale

Administrator   
    And with even less reason.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

And with even less reason.
    It's those Eastern Canadians ( plus Vancouver) who do the damage.
    West of Ontario, people start thinking like Montanan's.

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    Grandpa Tuner's Dictum:

"The minute somebody who has no business asking wants to know what you have, you have a reason to suspect that he means to take it from you at some point."
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

So true, I was one of the fools (law abiding citizen) who registered my hunting rifle. I assumed everything was in order, received a possession only licence and never thought about it again. That is until I was informed, by telephone, by a metro police officer that he was coming to my house to collect my firearm as the possession licence had expired.
    So they're going door-to-door now to disarm people who've done no wrong . . . makes me wonder about what's next.

This reminds me of another quote . . .
    And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
    Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
    Pay attention - the inmates really are running the asylum.

^ One of the all time memorable quotes.It should be burned into the brain of every American from childhood.
    For that matter, into the brain of every freedom loving human being on the planet.

Thank you HankB, for the reminder.