Thread: Fanning a Revolver

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas

Fanning a Revolver

A while back I picked up a Heritage Arms .22 SA Revolver. She is nice. I read that fanning the hammer voids the warranty. I always knew that you shouldn't do it like they do in the movies but my question is why? Can somepony explain to me why it's not good to do that?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

For three reasons:

1. you can drop the hammer onto the half-cock rather violently, possibly breaking the sear nose and/or damaging the notch.

2. The cylinder is quite massive compared to the hand and cylinder stop. Those two tiny parts take quite a beating from the fast moving cylinder when fanning.

3. In addition, you can peen the stop notches in the cylinder as the fast-moving cylinder is impacted by the cylinder stop.

To add a bit:

Ot CAN be done--however, extensive modification of the lockwork is required--and you'll still have to accept that the revolver will be damaged.

Bob Munden (yes that REALLY fast guy) actually does mods to SA revolvers for fanning.
    Hiding in plain sight....

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    That makes sense. Thanks.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Fast draw competitors, some of whom fan, others slam-cock the gun, typically have three revolvers; one to be shooting, one spare, one in the shop for overhaul. Like they said, it is hard on the lockwork.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

For three reasons:
    I would have to wonder if there wouldn't be a forth reason...

Slamming the top of the weapon with the palm of your hand is by necessity going to mean the point of aim is effected and you have no real idea where the ball is going to land.

Several Years Ago...

...I was in the shop of gunsmith Jim Hoag. On a wall, I noticed a framed photo of what appeared to be a much younger Jim, alongside an even younger man, examining what looked like a revolver cylinder mounted in a rig on a horizontal milling machine. When Jim had a moment, I confirmed my hunch that the younger man was Thell Reed and that Jim was in the process of cutting larger cylinder-stop cuts in a Ruger Blackhawk that was being modified for fanning in quick-draw competition. I suspect that most people here are aware that one of the reasons that the Blackhawk was built with coil springs was to overcome some of the weaknesses of the Colt SAA revolver. Fanning of of those will really beat it up.

And besides... it makes mincemeat of your hand. OUCH!

If You've Ever Seen...

And besides... it makes mincemeat of your hand.
    ...one of those Ruger single-action revolvers as they used to modify them for fanning in the quick-draw competitions, they ended up with seriously elongated hammers that extended perpendicular to the bore, with just a hint of checkering. The guns took more abuse than the hands.

A fanning hammer kinda obscures the sights, though, which are primitive on a SAA to start with...

Parker

Considering...

A fanning hammer kinda obscures the sights, though, which are primitive on a SAA to start with...
    ...that those modified guns were only used to fire blackpowder blanks, from the hip, at balloons, I don't think that made much difference.

Elmer Keith talked about slip-hammer modifications but, again, I think they were used mostly for point shooting.

I'm no Jerry Miculek by a long ways. But instead of fanning I use my left thumb to cock for rapid fire so I never have to move my trigger hand.

jim
    Commom sense isn't very common anymore.

SPW, we used to shoot wax loads at balloons. A guy who can only afford one Colt leaves the hammer alone and uses the sights to shoot slowly...

Parker

And Your Point Would Be?

SPW, we used to shoot wax loads at balloons. A guy who can only afford one Colt leaves the hammer alone and uses the sights to shoot slowly...
    My comments have been strictly about people customizing Ruger single-action revolvers specifically for that now seldom seen sport of quick draw.

Did I advise anyone to butcher a Colt?

No you didn't, and I couldn't afford a Colt back then anyway.

Parker

As Wyatt Earp said, "Get your gun out as quick as you can and take your own sweet time about aiming."