Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Tails (2012)

Red Tails (2012)

A just released flick about the legendary black Tuskegee Airmen of WWII Europe aerial combat.
    As we see from Rotten Tomatoes,the critics were sour, and the audience reaction was mediocre.Example:

Instead of pride or anger or resolve, all it left me feeling was a little bit of regret that I hadn't been home, watching "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" instead.
    A deliberate throwback to 1940s war movies, but not in a good way
    Has anyone here seen the film? Any comments on it or the Tuskegee Airman,their ordeal and courage?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    No, I haven't seen the film. I won't see it because of every trailer I watch it does absolutely no justice to the true Tuskegee Airmen. I could go on and on about my personal reasons to not watch it but I think it would drive the thread in a direction that wouldn't really fit in the realm of GRM...
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

I won't see it because of every trailer I watch it does absolutely no justice to the true Tuskegee Airmen.
    I'm beginning to see the light.

Have not seen it, but my plans at the time are to buy when out on DVD.
    'Course, as often happens, by the time it's released on DVD, I've read enough reviews to lose interest.

Hopefully, this won't be the case for Red Tails - I'm hoping they can do a good job with the CGI stuff, although in a particular clip I've seen, the aircraft does seem to reverse course a little too quickly (looks fake) - a P51 is turning to go after an ME 262.

Anywho...there's enough there to make a good film just by getting personal stories from the airmen involved - let's hope Hollywood doesn't screw it up by trying to embellish it.

BTW - I saw George Lucas on The Daily Show 'bout a month ago - he said he'd been trying to make this film for a looooong time, but the powers that be in Hollywood would not approve it as there were no white actors (to speak of) in it!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1197227.html
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

I don't go to theaters so I'll be wait for it on DVD.

BTW since when has Hollyweed ever done justice to any topic?
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

There are a few bits here and there...all of which escape me at the moment.
    My biggest concern for this film is that I'm afraid it will bring up stereotypes that reinforce existing ones rather than actually do justice to those men that flew. Like I said, I don't want to derail too much, but it can get very racially charged with me on that particular topic (daddy marched in a solidarity march in support of Dr. King, Uncle (can't remember how many greats) was a Buffalo Soldier).
    To those that choose to go see this film, please put up a review. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to read a review from y'all.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

I would like to see this too!

I will wait until it comes out on DVD to rent on a 99 cents night.

If it is a super good movie, we may buy it when they mark it down. We have been buying and collecting some inexpensive and classic movies lately since we choose not to have cable or a dish. I do get some OTA reception since we built the new house here and are not butt up to the mountains. Most of that is JUNK shy of the M.E. and THIS stations and some PBS shows.

My husband was on a business trip to WA state and he said that the crap that was on the boob tube was even worse than what it was a couple of years ago. He did not have that much time to watch the boob tube anyway and even the propaganda, eerrrr, news was even worse than before.

Catherine

I've given up on the news anymore, Catherine. Heck. At this point, Al Jazeera probably has more reliable news.

^^^

Yes and from other sources too.

Online you can get a variety of news from all sides too.

Take care.

Catherine

Hi Treo

+1

Not many, but Citizen Kane, 1941 (the Newspaper Biz) comes close. For 50 years now ,voted Hollywood's greatest film by the AFI and other critics.

The then 26 year old genius, Orson Welles, produces,directs and stars in the film of the 20th Century.

Well after doing a little digging, I've run across the 1995 film The Tuskegee Airmen starring Laurence Fishburne - Amazon is currently out of stock, but their price is $5.98, and there are plenty of folks on eBay selling it also.
    Seems to get good reviews, and since I've never seen it, I tossed it in my cart (supposed to be in around Jan. 31st).

Guess I'll give the old one a try since it will probably be close to a year before Red Tails is available on DVD?

The Tuskegee Airmen (1995)

More info over at IMDB, but the DVD cover is different than shown on Amazon - IMDB seems to be showing a PBS documentary (I seem to recall seeing one on PBS).

BTW-I'm off to read my first (non-technical) book in I can't remember when!
    Just got my copy of Glock: The Rise Of America's Gun in the mail today.
    After hearing multiple podcasts last week where the author was making the rounds, I figured I had to give it a whirl - sounds like it should be akin to a Tom Clancy thriller!?
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

One co-worker told me he and his son really enjoyed it.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Administrator   
    a P51 is turning to go after an ME 262.
    Basicblur, my stepfather, who was Army Air Corps 1943-46 in Europe, said the P-51s LOVED ME 262s, as the jets had a very wide turning radius. When the 262 would start to turn, the P-51 would cut the chord and loiter around waiting for them
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Don't doubt it, but the particular CGI scene just looked to be a little 'off'.From what I've seen, most of the CGI scenes seem pretty good, and if you want to make a movie like Red Tails these days, good CGI should be the way to do it, as well as probably being the only fiscally feasible way of doing so.

'Course, I ain't gonna let a CGI gltch or two get in the way of enjoying a good movie - I just hope it's at least decent.

I've read a few of the reviews, and a lot of of reviewers seem to knock the movie based on their pre-conceived notions? I read one that complained the aerial scenes looked like something out of Star Wars - he was complaining there seemed to be a bit too many aircraft and too much going on. Since many of the bombing raids I've read about had 800 or more bombers in the air at the time, I don't know what he's complaining about? Mix in a number of fighters with reports of "skies blackened with waves of bombers" and it sounds like the battle scenes may do the reality justice?

One also complained that it didn't show the horrors of war like Platoon or (I forgot the other movie he mentioned).
    I find myself scratchin ye olde noggin' and wondering what he does not consider horrible 'bout getting shot up by an aircraft or being blown out of the sky? (as depicted in some of the trailer snippets)

Anywho...I managed to get through 148 pages (out of 269) in my Glock book tonight - methinks if you're a Glock fan, you'll probably want to pass this one up! (or at least make sure your blood pressure meds are up to date)
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

It's almost a given than at some point I'm going to say "The book is better than the movie " so, w/out further ado:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Tail-Cap...item5d32128c66

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Tails-Wo...item5ae4b0fae4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TAILS-Hi...item19cd0feee1

I might even bid on the last one
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

the 1995 Tuskegee Airmen made by HBO was a great movie and seemed to do decent justice to the men and what they had to do to become combat pilots. Red Tails just doesn't interest me, it feels like typical George Lucas from the previews, all hype, glitz, and CGI, without any substance.

My sister always says if the critics don't like a movie, she probably would like it.

So far sounds like it would be a good candidate for an old-fashioned History Channel "History vs Hollywood" treatment (too bad the last new episode of HvH was apparently 16 Dec 2004).

I would like to compare it with http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/ The Tuskegee Airmen (HBO 1995)
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

My wife had the pleasure of meeting one of the Tuskegee Airmen a few years ago. She was selling some perfume to his wife, who was obviously very proud of him and bragging on him to the girls in the store. "He's deaf as a post and can't hear me telling you this..."

She said the gentleman was obviously quite deaf, but smiling, in good humor, and very dignified. Good on him.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

There is a used everything store in town called "Entertainmart".

Eventually, Red Tails will be there for 6 bucks.

I will be patient, I will also have read the book by then.

I read one that complained the aerial scenes looked like something out of Star Wars - he was complaining there seemed to be a bit too many aircraft and too much going on.
    I guess... that would be because Star Wars were inspired by WWII aerial fights. Why else would starships in Star Wars bank like planes and shoot what looks like tracers? (but for some reason slower)

That's the problem with too much media, it warps people's perceptions..

Why else would starships in Star Wars bank like planes and shoot what looks like tracers?
    I want to know how they made noise in Space

I want to know how they made noise in Space
    In Space no one can hear you scream.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

For most of the events that take place in this movie, the unit in question was actually flying P-47s, not P-51s. They wouldn't get the P-51s until later in the war. When HBO made Tuskegee Airmen they had an excuse why they used P-51s instead of P-47s... there weren't any of the later type to be had to film with. Now that everything is in CGI, what's the excuse.. and other than blatantly ripping off the first movie, a common Lucas trait, why would they even think that they should be using P-51s in the movie?

...and yes, the P-51 doing a back flip in the trailer pretty much ensured I would not be seeing this remake of Tuskegee Airmen.

BTW: Amazon has the blu-ray of the original for $10

Here's one take by a journalist who viewed the movie with an actual surviving Tuskegee Airman:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012012...-will-fly-high
    Haven't see the movie, but I'm a sucker for war movies, especially any that feature my all-time favorite warbird (besides the F-14), the P-51 Mustang ... (even if I know going in that the flick might be replete with inaccuracies ... hey, I still love Top Gun)
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.