Thread: A new 9mm version of the SIG P238

A new 9mm version of the SIG P238

SIG just put it up on their site. Basically the 938 is just a 238 in 9mm. From the stats the size difference is almost nothing.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductLi...tols-p938.aspx

The P938 (9mm) is on top, the P238 (.380) is on bottom:
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".
    - Stephen Decatur Miller (May 8, 1787 March 8, 1838)

The problem with the mini 9's is that you get about a 200 fps drop in velocity from the full sized guns. You're down in the 950 to 1000 fps range (with 115 gr slugs), yet with wildly increased recoil and muzzle flash.

You can get the same velocities with a .380 (and lighter 90 grain slugs) with mild recoil and quicker follow up shots.

I just don't think the incremental increase in ballistics is worth the trade. I'd want the faster follow up shots vs an extra 25 grains of slug weight.

It's kind of like buying a .300 mag, but then having the barrel cut down to 18 inches. Why not just buy a .308 in the first place?

At this point in my life I have sooo many guns that only new things I have never had before interest me. I'd be buying the 938 over the 238 because I have an abundance of 9mm ammo and I don't even own one 380. Also, 9mm is still cheaper around here than 380 for some reason.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".

Well, that's as good a reason to buy a gun as any! My choice would be different, but it's based on my own subjective preference for fast and accurate follow up shots. The 9mm (even at these velocities) is still going to give you better penetration.

A bit smaller than my Firestar, waaay more expensive.
    Last edited by lee n. field; February 1st, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: corrected factual error, and a misspelling
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I've always wondered why Sig doesn't own a tape measure.
    Years ago, when I read on their site that a P-238 is 1.1" wide, I thought, "No way" so I measured mine. It's not. Nowhere close. More like 0.8" and that's at the widest part, the safety. Sig never updated their web site, and I see that width measurement quoted often to show how the 238 is not much smaller than a Kahr PM-9. (or some other small firearm.)
    Since the 238 is a very soft shooter, the 938 will be a huge hit if it works.

Hmm. Still will retail for far less than SA's EMP (a dandy little piece itself), though looks a little uglier than the EMP and carries three fewer rounds, yet the SIG's grip appears fatter ...

I personally would opt for the 9 over the .380, basically for the reasons mesinge2 stated, and I'm not sure that I'd agree with KB's assessment that the 9mm offers "wildly increased recoil" -- although I've not used either the 238 nor the 938, that's not been my experience with steel-framed or alloy-framed sub-compact pistols. I will say that my old Kel-Tec in 9mm had a ridiculously snappy recoil, which is only one reason I got rid of it.

Lee n. field mentions the Star Firestar -- now there's a wildly underrated pistol from the '90s -- where'd they all go?

I'm gonna take a hard look at the 938 -- I'm a sucker for SIGs, anyway.
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

I will say that my old Kel-Tec in 9mm had a ridiculously snappy recoil, which is only one reason I got rid of it.
    Is the Kel-Tec a blowback? With the Sig's locked breech, it may not be as snappy as I envision. It'll be nice to hear Mesinges impression when he gets one.

I have been wanting a Kimber SOLO but I have heard numerous poor reports about them. I would love an EMP but the price tag is a bit much for a gun I probably wouldn't carry. I am so entrenched in carrying a 2-3 inch 357 K/L frame or a CCO 1911 .45 that I doubt that I will ever carry anything else. I simply want a 9mm style 1911, but my reasoning places the 9mm in two roles:

Full-size gun with a large capacity or a gun of lower capacity that can be much smaller than a .45 ACP can. So this little SIG could be a BUG to a larger gun but I would be buying it, well ......, to buy it, I suppose.

Is the Kel-Tec a blowback?
    no. Modified JMB locked breech. Same as the p32, p3at, & p11
    Just ridiculously light and narrow.

Otherwise mine is a spiffy gun.
    DON'T PANIC

One of my LGS co-owners went to SHOT and got to handle it; he said the feel of the gun was very good - better than the P290. Since he and I felt the same about the P290 grip, I have high hopes for the P938.

I'm pretty content with my Walther PPS, but my wife may be interested. Her manual of arms is for the 1911 pattern of guns, and this pistol should fit right in with her P238 and Kimber Custom Aegis II.