Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Positively shocking

Positively shocking

Fury in Frisco: Park ranger shoots dog walker in back with taser

The actions of a National Park Service ranger in San Francisco on Sunday may have far-reaching effects among citizens who use national parks and recreation areas, and the incident is already causing political shockwaves equivalent to a California earthquake that could be felt as far as the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ack-with-taser

DEA - Dog Enforcement Agency ???

Governments don't live together. People live together.

I guess after the other Ranger was shot---all the Rangers are trigger happy.
    Probably lucky she didn't shoot the guy in the back with a firearm & have his dogs put away.----------------

Let the record reflect I made no comment lest any statement be construed to be a lie and some badge heavy authoritarian decide to shoot me.

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    The record reflects...though the lack of comment isn't really benificial to the discussion...
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

if all you have is a passive aggresive stance....what can you do.

Did the Ranger have cause to detain Hesterberg?

If so, then she is allowed to use "necessary force" to do that, and is generally given broad discretion in determining what's necessary.

Hesterberg was apparently ordered to stop, and refused. That gives the Ranger the options of letting him go (sounds like dereliction of her duty); tackling him; batoning him; Tasering him; and shooting him.

As I understand it, the police are in most cases allowed to hold a person in order to find out who he is. So, sounds to me like she did just fine.

If she had no cause to hold him, then she had no cause to use any force. But here we have a person who broke a leash law, and gave a false name to a police officer, and refused to obey an order to stop.

Tase away.

what he said^

police are in most cases allowed to hold a person in order to find out who he is
    Maybe it will go the same way as drug raids:

WhoareyouBANG!

Now, THAT, TP, would have been a story worth writing about.

This is not an incident to bring on knee-jerk reactions.

The guy should have stopped.

He should have correctly identified himself.

It’s odd that he was in a public place with no identification.

Speculation:
    Had he correctly responded to the ranger she might have just told him the rules and let him take his dogs back home; or attach leashes.

I do not fault the ranger. The guy was asking for it.
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

lots of doggie folks are fubar about "their babies" serious entitlement issues

Sorry, I don't think walking away from a DWL charge (Dogs Without Leashes) warrants Tasering, in the back or elsewhere.

Sure, guy was setting himself up for some trouble, but it's not like he was harming others or seeming to be a potential danger.

As to not carrying ID - why should he if he's walking? Does San Fran have a "Paperssss Pleeezzz" law?
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

I would seem like you're under arrest or you're not. Did she utter the phrase "You are under arrest"? If not, then you ought to be free to walk away without being tasered or shot.

We're not talking about a felony suspect here, just a guy walking his dog.

when you give a false name where does that fall on the scale?

its a felony its what they got clinton on scooter libby barry bonds. he earned his ride stupid is supposed to hurt and arrogant should sting

Warrants or probation usually.
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Jerk citizen meets jerk ranger. Hope jerk citizen stops using park and jerk ranger loses job. A pox on both their houses.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Depends on the state. I'm not sure how many states have such laws but I believe that in most states law enforcement cannot compel you to give your legal name. They can ask for your legal name. They can ask you to hop on one foot while rubbing your belly and patting your head. That does not mean you must comply.

Warrants or probation usually.
    This is precisely why in many places law enforcement cannot force you to give them your name. If one is violating probation, or has an outstanding warrant, then even giving their legal name would be admitting guilt. The government cannot compel a person to admit to breaking the law, so therefore the government cannot require you to give them your name.

If the police can lie to me with impunity then I'm not going to get real bent out of shape because someone lied about their name over a trivial violation of the law.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

This has me wondering, 1-He had no identification, 2- He gave a false name (now, unless he claimed to be "Mickey Mouse, or Barack Obama,) how did the ranger know it wasn't his real name.

I mean if I had no ID and you asked me my name, and I told you, Mufufniac Mufnufchec, who are you to tell me I am wrong?
    "Why is it, when your kid has an imaginary friend people think they are cute, but if they have an imaginary enemy, they are paraniod?"

I hardly ever carry ID unless I am going to town

I have a badge, I can do what I please.

obstruction is a felony in this case play stupid games win stupid prizes

hope the dogs are ok

when you give em a fake name and address they run it and it will come back as bogus. then you have srepped on your own crank. or so i hear

ALT!
    Ausweis bitte, Her Hesterberg!!
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

OK, CD. Giving the citizen the assumption of innocence. Is it a legal requirement to carry ID in the state of California and is there a legal obligation to present said ID upon order from a uniformed government official? Since there is not, under Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. the citizen was never indebted to give his correct name and the alleged officer took it upon herself to pass laws on the fly. She should be charged with assault with a offensive weapon and on conviction be incarcerated with the hard core criminals that insult the peace and dignity of the United States.

the citizen was never indebted to give his correct name and the alleged officer took it upon herself to pass laws on the fly.

try again