Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAIG Super Bowl spot

MAIG Super Bowl spot

Our favorite big-city mayors, Bloomberg & Menino will be using big-bucks advertising bandwidth to try to find traction for MAIG's agenda.

From the Reuters story:
    New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will be sitting on a couch touting an issue most politicians avoid like the plague: gun control.

The two mayors, whose local teams face off in the big game, are making the pitch for Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG), the organization they co-founded in 2006.
    I imagine we'll have more to say about this after we've seen the ad, though

Read more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8130BJ20120204

Ah ha, found it:
    For your previewing pleasure: (prepare the Pepto)

Not much substance to it, I'm afraid.

NO worries here.

Their FB page only has 255 likes!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayors...36542739701525
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Added stuff

How does calling for more restrictions on legal guns affect illegal guns?

Hey, let's end moonshining by putting more restrictions on legal liquor.

Makes about as much sense.

ADDED STUFF:

According to NY Daily News, the ad will be run regionally, not nation-wide.
    If we are lucky it may only appear in the Northeast states.
    On the other hand, it sounds so goofy it may backfire.

The Reuters report linked above:
    Emily Flitter, "Special Report: Bloomberg reloads in push for gun control", Reuters, 4 Feb 2012.

In the past, advocates for stricter gun controls held marches...
    The Potowmack Institute was at the Million Mom March in 2000 and 2004 and could not find a single person out of hundreds asked who had heard of the cases in court. The gun rights militants follow these cases with intense interest. Their time has arrived. The 2000 March may have been 300,000 strong. In 2004, it was less than 2000. There was no 2008 March.
    -- The Potowmack Institute, Gilbert Ernest McGill, President

Opponents ... have also seized on ... "Fast and Furious" ... 2,000 illegal guns ... they (ATF) lost track of hundreds of the guns
    Uh, 2,020 guns walked in Operation Fast & Furious - 389 recovered in US - 276 recovered in Mexico = 1,355 or the majority of the guns "lost" deliberately to bolster the number of US guns recovered from crimes in Mexico. The first reports of an increase in US guns recovered from Mexican criminals was used to advocate re-instatement of the sunsetted Assault Weapon Ban of 1994-2004.

Members of the MAIG say they are not trying to take guns away from their legal owners....
    The laws favored by Michael Bloonberg and just make it very difficult for legal owners to get legal guns in the first place.
    http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Novak1.html
    Suzanne Novak, "Why the New York State System for Obtaining a License to Carry a Concealed Weapon is Unconstitutional", Fordham Urban Law Journal, November, 1998.
    Last edited by Carl N. Brown; February 4th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Bloomberg & Menino
    The biggest comedy duo since Rowan & Martin. Just unintentionally funny. Its Boston and New York.What can we expect?

At least in April ,we get the Yankees and the Red Sox!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

They apparently have been deluded into thinking someone outside their personal staff gives a hoot about their opinions.

I wouldn't listen to anything Bloomberg had to say if he held the event at a beer distributorship and was giving away free samples... (I may show and drink a sample but I wouldn't listen...)
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

I wouldn't listen to anything Bloomberg had to say if he held the event at a beer distributorship and was giving away free samples... (I may show and drink a sample but I wouldn't listen...)
    That's why we have shooting muffs!
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Nice to know these bankrupt cities these idiots represent have the funds to spend money on a super bowl commercial...

Mayhaps Mr Vince Wilfork will fall on them.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Mayhaps Mr Vince Wilfork will fall on them.
    That would solve the problem permanently!

Just a few little lies.

From his interview:
    ... Bloomberg told a news conference. He added that more Americans have been killed by illegal guns since 1968 than were killed in World War II.
    Wikipedia says 418,000 Americans killed in WWII both American military and civilians.

CDC/WISQARS shows an average of 12,000 Americans per year times 40 years (1968 to 2008) accounting for homicide by gunshot wound, but that inlcudes all types gun deaths since 1968 except suicide and accidental. That number INCLUDES justified police shooting of fugitives. It INCLUDES lawful self-defense. It INCLUDES all guns, not just 'illegal guns'.

So Bloomberg considers 'illegal gun' to include police duty weapons to take down criminals, and your 2nd Amendment defense of your own life, and a girl protecting herself from rape. Any other way you cut it, his claim is a falsehood.

We need an Oleg Volk poster of Mayor Bloomberg pointing to a girl who just used a gun to defend herself from rape in New York City, and he accuses her of possessing an 'illegal gun'. Perhaps that would illuminate his unreasonable restrictions against an American's need to exercise her civil rights.

JEStucker wrote:
    Nice to know these bankrupt cities these idiots represent have the funds to spend money on a super bowl commercial...
    The taxpayers of Boston and NYC are off the hook for MAIG's activities - the organization is run mostly out of Bloomberg's ample 1%er checkbook.

Bloomberg reports giving $254 million in 2009 to almost 1,400 nonprofit organizations, saying, "I am a big believer in giving it all away and have always said that the best financial planning ends with bouncing the check to the undertaker."
    I'd like to point out to Mr. Bloomberg the difference between 'giving it all away' and spending it on vanity projects.

Encouraging to note the comments on both the Reuters article and the Youtube spot are solidly against MAIG
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Encouraging to note the comments on both the Reuters article and the Youtube spot are solidly against MAIG
    Not only that but the Reuters article is actually fairly accurate.

youtube comments now disabled ... ratings, too

what a wimpy and cowardly move

I suggest that everyone flood their channel comments considering the absence (and deletion) of video comments
    DON'T PANIC

youtube comments now disabled ... ratings, too

what a wimpy and cowardly move
    But hardly a surprising one
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Yes Super Bowl fans, I'm tough on illegal guns. I put Plaxico Burgess in prison for two years.

Will this remind folks of football player Plaxico Burress who got in hot water after shooting himself accidentally with his Glock in NYC night club? Bloomberg "urged that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent, saying that any punishment short of the minimum 3 years for unlawful carrying of a handgun would be "a mockery of the law." "

According to a lot of the commentary posted in NYC newspaper websites on the issue of out-of-state permit holders arrested in NYC, the mockery of the law was felonizing Burgess over reckless self-endangerment. Felony record, two years jail and two years supervised release was seen by a lot of New Yorkers as out of proportion to the offense.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    I'm on the NRA website now and attempting to convince people from other fora I am on to give it traffic in order to deprive MAIG of traffic.
    Resident Liberal

Jane Levy went to Goucher College for a year.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    ^ Cool. Anyway, Giants won. Mission accomplished on my end; nobody used my computer to go to the MAIG site and I kept people too focused on the Super Bowl and other hilarious commercials to remember the MAIG one.
    Resident Liberal

Administrator   
    There was a game today? Gee, darn, I was re watching the Matrix Trilogy.
    Bloomers is a rich idiot who thinks he is a duke under Dear Leader.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

The fat one looks like a typical apparatchik.
    Both look completely fake in the sports dresses.

It didn't air in NW Florida
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Don't think it aired in WA either.

Didn't see it in Miami.But a few banyo visits may have prompted the miss.