Thread: Desert Shoot Out

Desert Shoot Out

January 29, 2012- I was in the desert with 250 men and boys. The event was a church-sponsored father-son retreat called the Desert Shoot Out, or DSO. I’m struggling for words as I try to share what I saw and what I felt. I’d need to take pictures each minute to capture the memorable events.

• I wish you’d seen fathers and sons playing together. I wish you’d seen them working and laughing together.
    • I wish you’d seen capable men taking care of themselves, setting up their camp, and then helping others time after time.
    • I wish you’d seen many hands make light work. They moved tons of gear into the desert as kitchen, generators, lights, tables, and tents. They also set up a firing line of targets. I heard they brought 13 thousand clay pigeons for sporting clay competition. They even brought extra sleeping bags and pads if a friend dropped in unprepared. We were well cared for.
    • I wish you’d seen shot in mid-flight. You can see the cloud of shotgun pellets fly out to the clay target when you shoot sporting clays at night. Yes, there were high intensity work lights. The kids and I were amazed.
    • I wish you’d heard the silence of the desert at night. I wish you’d seen the breathtaking beauty of a dark sky full of stars.
    • I wish you had the pleasure of a desert sunrise when you can see to the horizon. They had hot water and coffee waiting for us. We were well cared for.
    • I wish you’d seen men having energetic fun and making it look easy. The twenty-year-olds are graceful and precise with their shotgun games. The old guys with their large revolvers are impressively fast, and they win the bowling pin competition year after year.
    • I wish you’d seen the curiosity and amazement of 14 year-olds. They were challenged by the precision of 22 rifle and 22 pistol. They were challenged by the firepower of Old Mosin-Nagant rifles and 45 caliber pistols. The boys advanced at their own pace. “Awesome,” was their frequent reaction.
    • I wish you’d seen the silent sport of archery. It is basic and beautiful in its simplicity.
    • I wish you’d seen men sharing their enthusiasm and passion. If a youngster stopped and asked a question, the frequent answer was, “Come on. It’s easier to show you. Let’s go shoot it.”
    • I wish you’d seen strong men of faith in control of themselves. I believe the quotation is “great men serving a greater master.”
    • I wish you’d heard dads discuss how to remain involved with their families, and how to shape their children’s character in the face of violent video games and airsoft. How do we change guns from fantasy toys to serious tools that have to be handled responsibly? I noticed that trained adults would seldom point a finger at someone because their old habits had been overwritten by new prohibitions.
    • I wish you’d seen the desert change. There are endless mixtures of sun, sand, heat and wind.

I wish you were there. Go build the event if it doesn’t exist in your area. Take your sons. Share this with them.

Rob
    ~_~_~_
    Pictures and Video on my blog- Slowfacts.wordpress.com
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Administrator   
    I wish I'd been there.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I wish you’d heard dads discuss how to remain involved with their families, and how to shape their children’s character in the face of violent video games and airsoft.
    Dunno, I've been playing violent video games since grade school, though not exclusively, I'm more of a strategy game fan (curiously enough, no one objects to strategy game where with a click of a mouse you order your battleship fleet to totally nuke a planet and kill billions)... didn't usually do that though, using mind control technologies or just occupying it was more productive.

So far, no real unsafe gun behavior, never been booked for anything. The real guns I have, I've never pointed at anyone, ever, even while I'm sure they're unloaded while practicing dry-firing. I just don't do that..

Though, I think stupid kids shouldn't play violent video games. I know the difference between fantasy and reality, someone with a double digit IQ may not..

Where is your data?

Lanius, I wonder if you read what I wrote. You're free to offer your opinion that only low IQ people are desensitized or conditioned to violence. I'd like to see your data that documents your claim.

There is solid sociological research studying our inhibitions to commit violence. The inhibitions are falling over time. Violence in the media and violent video games seem to desensitize young people to real acts of violence. I speculate that people learn to psychologically see the victim as a character rather than a real person. The same thing happens (or is used) in combat training. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman comments on this effect in his book "On Combat".

I’m glad this does not apply to you.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Lanius, I wonder if you read what I wrote. You're free to offer your opinion that only low IQ people are desensitized or conditioned to violence. I'd like to see your data that documents your claim.
    I'm not saying that. I'm saying that anyone with half a brain who is completely desensitized to violence won't commit violence unless it's bound to pay off. Anyone with half a brain knows that violence you don't get away with means a jail term.. so they're not gonna commit any. Even giving someone a good slapping may end up with legal trouble in these latter days..

The same thing happens (or is used) in combat training. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman comments on this effect in his book "On Combat".
    Grossman has offered some valuable insights on combat physiology, but his 'killing' research has been thoroughly discredited.

His assertion that there is an innate barrier against killing other humans is simply wide-eyed hippie hogwash. There is an innate barrier against killing our own kin.. the reason why westerners are so peaceful is that we have been conditioned from birth to consider everyone 'people' like us, our 'brothers' even if they're not. You know, 'universal human rights', the 'sacredness of life' and stuff like that.

Blame or praise christianity for that... I think western civilization is too deluded, too squeamish and too soft. Where is the world heading if kids can't beat one another up in school?

Giving and taking beatings have been integral parts of childhood experiences over millenia, and I know I enjoyed beating someone up, and did not hate getting beaten that much either.

It was all very exciting.. the feeling of being alive.. I've only felt the same way during particularily close games and the like.

WWII Japanese did not consider others to be human, that's how they could play 'guess the gender' with bayonets. Same with Nazis.. their propaganda painted the Slavs as 'untermenschen'. And later on, most Russians considered Germans beasts for their numerous war-crimes, which gave them a good rationalization to behave like complete animals. (and their high command condoned it.. had they not, things would've gone differently)

If you want a thorough debunking of Grossman's half-baked ideas, I can provide you links. There's one particularily good by a Canadian military historian.

please source your information

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyanderson45 View Post
    Grossman has offered some valuable insights on combat physiology, but his 'killing' research has been thoroughly discredited.
    Great. I've more to learn. Please list the three best studies that refute Col. Grossmans's proposition on desensitization to violence. I assume the studies actually have broad statistical data rather than subjective interviews of selected subjects.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

And what is wrong with airsoft, paintball, laser tag, nerf tag or any other such game?

Airsofters in particular are zealous of policing their own. Airsoft is under fire because stupid do stupid things and win stupid prizes. For example if you point a rubber gun at a LEO, you are going to get drawn o and possibly shot, I remember as a kid hearing about little Jonny with a plastic ray gun shot by police.

Teach your kids safety don't ban hobbies, that's what Sarah Brady and Josh Sugarmann do.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf