Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old grumps carry gun challenge

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods

Old grumps carry gun challenge

2-3-4 handgun iron sight single or double action 15 yard challenge revolver or pistol. 10 rounds per target so there is no advantage to cylinder or magazine capacity differences.

Any position as long as it is 15 yards from the target. Any caliber as long as it starts with a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If you have all 3 you can post 3 targets otherwise just post for the caliber/s you have.

For instance a 9 MM would be considered a 3 because of bullet diameter

Targets to be posted no later than midnight of the month you are shooting for. So from today you have 9 days to get March in and then you will be shooting for April, May, June, July etc.

No warm up targets, no sighter shots, this game is to see what you can do straight from the holster shooting cold.

1. Center ring is + 10
    2. Outer black ring is + 9
    3. First white ring is + 8
    4. Outside ring is + 7
    5. If a shot is outside the 7 ring and the lead line does not touch the black line it is a -1
    6. If your gun is capable of shooting double action you must shoot double action
    7. Load and shoot the target in the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/pdf...tol_target.pdf

Post picture of the gun, ammo used and holster along with the target. If it has a holster and you can and do carry it in town or in the woods it counts as a carry gun and is eligible for this challenge match.

Post your score, time you shot the target, wind speed and direction to you and temperature if you were shooting outside.

List make and model gun, Ammo brand , bullet type and weight.

Position you shoot in is entirely up to you. In a shooting situation you will do whatever you can to maximize hits so anything short of a Ransom rest or gun vise is allowed.
    Last edited by Old Grump; March 22nd, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Grump's March targets

Score 81

22 LR target shot at noon 84 degrees, wind 16 mph blowing from right to left across the target. Ruger single six revolver, single action, Remington, (bucket of bullets), Hi speed 40 gr plated RN bullets.

Score 86 (bullet hole top right quadrant of the 9 ring is a double)

.357 target shot at 1215 hrs same wind and temp. Dan Wesson M15 4" barrel, shot double action. Sellier & Bellot, 158 gr FMJ flat tipped bullets

Score 95

44 mag target shot at 1225 hrs same wind and temp. Ruger Super Blackhawk shot single action. CCI Blazer, 240 gr JHP bullets

Needless to say I have some sight adjusting to do but the whole object is to see how your gun shoots right now off the shelf or out of your holster without fine tuning. Next month we will all be shooting aces. Can't believe I said that with a straight face or without biting my tongue.

1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Grump -- I don't have a holster for my Ruger Mark II yet, I mexican carry it (no, I'm not kidding.) Eligible? Or do I have to wait until I buy a holster?
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Paul, Paul, Paul,

Don’t you know that Mexican Carry endangers your gun and both its magazines?
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

Didn't know anything about how it might hurt the magazines....

My "successful life" body style and substantial belt seem to hold the pistol pretty safely at 3:30... I've carried it that way full days hunting...
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Shoot, but seriously get a holster, for your sake and your guns sake. Think what all that sweat and body oil is doing to your gun and what it might do to you if you fell the wrong way.

My birthday is next month. Maybe I am buying myself something. Thinking of a Simply Rugged Cuda.
    Paul

Outstanding, now get us a target

6. If your gun is capable of shooting double action you must shoot double action
    all shots or first shot? (for Walther p.38-derived DA/SA action)
    I don't think I'll be using my P.1 or any other DA/SA guns, but they are out there being carried!

This is on the to-do list for the next range trip, whatever gun I happen to be packing that day and maybe a silly mousegun or two.
    Will try to get the Mrs in on it as well.
    DON'T PANIC

This is about shooting our carry gun, if its single action then you are stuck with single action if its DA only you are stuck with that if its DA first and SA after that then that's the way you shoot it. You guys are sure making a simple exercise sound complicated. I tried so hard to make the rules simple. Sigh.

targets are set at 15 yards, remove guns from Holsters, load the guns, shoot the guns, post the pictures. see, its simple honest it is.

targets are set at 15 yards, remove guns from Holsters, load the guns, shoot the guns, post the pictures. see, its simple honest it is
    Is that be "remove loaded gun from from holster, shoot, reload if necessary, shoot"?

In other words, is this a "draw and shoot" drill or just a "use your carry gun target shoot"?

Either way, good to see a actual defense related competition! I will try it, though expect to see some truly terrible groups.

Doubt I'll get to the range this weekend as have to work part of Saturday, so mine first entry will probably be for April.

Thanks Old Grump. This is one that I look forward to, because even if I do terribly it will be really useful training for carry.
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

Shoot from any position except a gun vise. The only stipulation is that it be a gun you can holster and have carried. I don't want anybody poking holes in their legs or granny's wash tub because they thought they had to draw and shoot.

That's why I posted my guns with their holsters to show they were all carry guns. Not looking for good groups, just trying to get my fellow gunners to shoot their carry guns to get an idea of what to expect if they have to draw in a bad situation and shoot without a practice target or sighter shots first.

just trying to get my fellow gunners to shoot their carry guns
    And it's a fine idea, Grump. I salute you... no, I'm indoors, not under arms, not wearing a cover, and carrying a Budweiser -- I toast you, how's that?
    Paul

????????????? Y'all mean nobody on a gun rights board carry's or if they do then never shoot their guns?

overtime, and family obligations, and more overtime

This weekend or Monday, I hope. Targets are in the range bag and I'll almost surely be packing my new RIA CCO-ish 1911, and I'll take my PPS as well.
    I'll encourage the Mrs to bring her favorite two carry guns, and maybe I'll throw in a KelTec P32, the range bag is getting full already and it becomes one more ammo/magazine type to add to the trip.
    DON'T PANIC

I've been traveling. Hope to get my shooting in Saturday. If not, next month, no fear.
    Paul

April Carry Gun Challenge Match

Well it is April and this is the first salvo in the April edition of the Carry Gun Challenge. It was a balmy 61 degrees with no wind for the 22 portion and then a very slight 5mph coming straight at me, It was no problem for my shooting.

I borrowed my trucker brothers 45 Mk !V and his ooooold JP Sauer & Sohn .357 mag Western Marshall model. Then I shot my even older S&W M41 that used to be my competition gun but now is my rabbit and squirrel gun.

I see by my group I haven't changed the sights since the last time I shot it at a small bore pistol target but still shot a very respectable 91. It was also the only gun I shot one handed.

Then things got interesting. My brother bought this gun when he was in the Coast Guard back in the early 70's and has shot it a lot. It's lighter than my Dan Wesson even though the barrel is 2" longer and the small standard grips aren't as easy on the hand as my target grips. After the first shot I switched to a two handed grip and the trigger guard still beat my knuckles silly. I was shooting hot UMC 25 gr JSP and they really bark in that gun. I like this load anyway because at ranges from 15 to 50 yards its pretty much to point of aim where the 158 gr loads are way high. I squeezed an 87 out of it.

Then my brothers Colt Mk IV he bought in the 80's in North Carolina. It is a better gun then I am a shot anymore and after the .357 beating I had to shoot this one 2 handed too.

I shot a 96 with it because I had one shot low, don't know when that happened. I didn't know what to expect because it was the first time I ever shot Winchester Personal Defense ammo. It is 230 gr HP and it shot to the same exact point of aim as my 230 gr hardball so this is a plus. Cheap for practice and then this for social work without a change in impact. 7 of my 10 rounds went into the same large jagged hole, that is always nice to see. It was good for a 96.

Next month my scores won't be quite as nice because I will be moving on down to my second tier guns. It isn't the score its just to see what you can do with a gun you can carry. I see both of my 22's need sight adjustments and this was good to learn. The rest there isn't much to do except take them out for fresh air more often. Looking forward to seeing some targets posted. See post 1 for scoring and for the target to use.

Hope to get out to the range again, soon as my leg heals. Going to be a while before I'm ready to post pictures of my targets. sigh... Got a lot of catching up to do.
    I own my life and my body. I'm the only one who is responsible for that life and my safety. That's why I carry a gun.

This target isn't part of the challenge it just seemed like good place to put it. I shot my old 45 with some rounds I found that I had made back in March of 1972 consisting of 8.5 gr of Bullseye and 230 gr FMJ bullets. Shot them at 25 yards and now I remember what it was I liked about that load. Only problem was on shot #4. I had my very first hangfire in 50+ years of competition, practice and hunting. It was only about half a second but it surprised me and that is why out of the 7 rounds loaded there are only 6 on paper. I have absolutely no idea where shot #4 went except down range someplace.

Anybody else experience this with bullseye. Powder in the bullet was 40 years old but still it shouldn't have done that. I had a pop from the primer then a slight delay and then Boom. Case looked okay and primer looked okay, most puzzling. ?

I can't recall ever having a hangfire myself, but I did experience a squib load once. A friend had just bought a beautiful new 1911 .45 and we went to the range to try it out. He was NOT paying attention, so thank goodness he wasn't trying any rapid fire. I wasn't shooting myself, just watching him, aware and LISTENING as always (automatic being an instructor).

Anyway, at one point I very clearly heard that weak "bang" we always talk about, and immediately touched his arm to get him to stop shooting. After clearing the gun, I used a cleaning rod to gently probe, and sure enough that slug was in the barrel. It came out easily, but he elected to take the gun to a smith he knows to check it out before he shot it again.

I only had to twist his arm a little...
    I own my life and my body. I'm the only one who is responsible for that life and my safety. That's why I carry a gun.

Are squibs not caused by defective ammo?

Yes, Lanius. Both squibs and hang fire are caused by defective or damaged ammunition. Modern factory ammunition is less apt to have problems, of course. I forgot to mention that this squib happened with a handload. My friend had accepted several rounds of hand loaded ammunition along with the gun. They should have been disassembled and reloaded, of course. The rest of them were.

This sort of failure is also one good reason to carefully segregate all ammunition from cleaning supplies and other things that might damage it.

In my case it was ammo stored in an uninsulated storage shed since 1973 and moisture may have gotten into this one case and caked the powder causing it to delay ignition. As noted by the other 6 shots on target and grouped as well as I can group them with that gun at that range the rest of the ammunition worked quite well.

The chance of things like this happening is why I hunt and carry factory ammo for self/home defense although I am quite happy to use my reloads in a match.

The hang fire might be from bad powder or a bad primer, but the squib is usually from a short powder load in the cartridge. Modern factory ammunition isn't nearly as subject to moisture problems, and I've successfully fired some that went through the washing machine cycle.

After that, of course, I look at my clothes VERY CAREFULLY when I get home from the range. Those rounds might have made things really interesting if they'd made it to the dryer!!!

They were .22LR cartridges, and I went ahead and fired them just to see what would happen. Don't make a general practice of that, naturally.

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts

re:

I shot my old 45 with some rounds I found that I had made back in March of 1972 consisting of 8.5 gr of Bullseye and 230 gr FMJ bullets.

8-point-5 grains...of Bullseye?

Good God and little fishies! Please tell me that you mean .45 Colt and not .45 ACP.
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html