Thread: Couldn't stand having a clean BP gun

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods

Couldn't stand having a clean BP gun

Especially an older never been fired Uberti Walker

Took the Walker out with my Ruger old Army and did a little 15 yard shooting. It was a chilly 41 degrees with a slight wind coming from behind me and my back was talking to me so that's why I only fired 15 yards and one cylinder from each gun.

First up was the Ruger old army fired one handed. The results were most satisfying.

Because I'm an old fogey getting a little puny I had to use two hands to shoot the Walker. First round was clean over the target. Aimed towards the bottom of the target and skimmed the box the target was stapled to. Aimed to the bottom of the paper and the results were better than I thought considering the tiny primitive sight picture.

I am looking forward to shooting the Walker at 50 and 100 yards as soon as I get some decent weather and I doctor up the sights for my old eyes. .
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Nice shooting.

It's almost too hot and I'm running way too busy to get out right now. I'ts supposed to cool down closer to normal temps here in a few days and maybe I'll get work caught up this week.

An afternoon out with the Dragoon sounds enjoyable.

jim
    Commom sense isn't very common anymore.

2 Walkers and a Ruger Old Army get aired out

Another great day and with a new tin of #10 percussion caps I shot at 25 yards. I was using a 6 o'clock hold and my group while not bad was at the very top pf the paper so this gun and this load may be better suited for 50 yards, that will be next.

This target was the first rounds ever shot through this gun. After the last target with the other Walker I decided to hold 6" below the target and it turns out I should not have. I was 5" above point of aim and 3" to the right. I can fix the windage with a little file work and next time I hold where I should.

I knew where the Roger Old Army likes to shoot so I held center of the target and except for 2 high shots which I will take the blame for it shot where I expected it to. No adjustments needed with this gun. I'm good for minute of Rabbit at 25 yards and under.

Funny thing about the Walkers is I can shoot 4 times then I have to wait for the smoke to dissipate before I can see the target again and shoot the last 2 shots. I can live with that. I am loving these guns.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

There is something about touching off a big charge of the holy black no matter the gun. I managed to run 20 rounds through my Pedersoli 1874 sharps yesterday. Still figuring out the BPCR thing but I was able to make fist sized groups at 50 yds using the factory barrel sights. Might have done better but it was blowing a gale. Wind was strong enough it would blow my ear muffs and glasses off the table when I walked down to look at my targets and my target stand was moving as well. Didn't have to worry about waiting for the smoke to clear, every shot the wind blew it right back in my face.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

All of my fixed-sight Colt-pattern revolvers have (admittedly primitive) sights that hit dead-on at 80 to 100 yards.
    I've read that the originals were purposely made this way, and the design carried over to the reproductions and Colt's reissue (2nd and 3rd generation).
    The reason for such high-sighting lies in the military training of the day, that taught soldiers to aim their rifle at the enemy's belt buckle or abdomen, to ensure a hit somewhere within a vertical area.
    Years ago I read that the revolver was sighted to hit a man-sized figure at 100 yards, because its six shots nicely augmented the single-shot muzzleloading rifle of the day.
    I wish I could cite the source for these allegations, but it was decades ago that I read these. I don't know if they're true, but it sounds reasonable.
    Perhaps someone else can verify or dispel these.
    "And therein did I see an ugly cat. Blue smoke. Brimstone. Holes in paper. And this ugly cat was much amused." --- the prophesies of Gatodamus (1503 - 1566).

Quote Originally Posted by Gatofeo View Post
    All of my fixed-sight Colt-pattern revolvers have (admittedly primitive) sights that hit dead-on at 80 to 100 yards.
    I've read that the originals were purposely made this way, and the design carried over to the reproductions and Colt's reissue (2nd and 3rd generation).
    The reason for such high-sighting lies in the military training of the day, that taught soldiers to aim their rifle at the enemy's belt buckle or abdomen, to ensure a hit somewhere within a vertical area.
    Years ago I read that the revolver was sighted to hit a man-sized figure at 100 yards, because its six shots nicely augmented the single-shot muzzleloading rifle of the day.
    I wish I could cite the source for these allegations, but it was decades ago that I read these. I don't know if they're true, but it sounds reasonable.
    Perhaps someone else can verify or dispel these.
    I can believe it, I down loaded to 35 gr and hold at 6 O'clock for the same 3"-4" group I get with 50 grains but now I am holding inside the black of a standard NRA 25 yard target. Then a few water filled 2 liter at 25 and 50 yards with the same 35 grains for a most satisfying result. Next time I set up at 100 yards I will try 50 grains again and see if those sights and my eyes can make a connection. I'm just waiting for my 147 gr ammo to show up for my Mosin-Nagant 91/30. Then I will make it a day for all my C&R and BP guns.

Easy cleaning

I take the gun apart enough to hit every opening with peroxide, then I blast the parts with carb cleaner, including down in the hammer erea and the trigger guard, inside and out. Swab the barell and your done. I never use soap or water and dont mess with gun scrubber. This works grat and keeps them in immaculate condition.

I'm not quite that immaculate, my black powder guns go into the shower with me along with a bore brush. When black stops coming off of me and the guns I get toweled off and dressed and my gun parts go into the dishwasher to get anything I might have missed. Then they get lubed where needed.