Thread: Good pistol transfer FFL, Northern VA?

Good pistol transfer FFL, Northern VA?

So, we're finally getting things figured out, and I'm getting Dad's Colt Gold Cup 1911 in the near future. Transfer has to go through a FFL, obviously - anyone have any suggestions?
    "It's time we quit solving the wrong problem
    The problem is the bad guy, not his tools.
    Solve that."
    - ArfinGreebly, mod at THR.us

Sterling Arsenal in, duh, Sterling, will do it for $28, and they accept transfers from non-FFLs. This will save you a transfer fee on the shipping end.

http://www.sterlingarsenal.com/Home_Page.php

NOVA Armaments on Elden Street in Herndon will also accept a shipment from a non-FFL. They charge $30 for the service. I visited this shop on its opening day, but don't have any dealings with them. I do know they advertise heavily on WMAL. How cool is that?

http://www.novaarmament.com/

Virginia Arms on Rte. 28 in Manassas is a great shop, and I've been buying and transferring guns with them for years. They also will do it for $30. But the owner, Bernie Conaster, told me a couple of years ago that he no longer accepts shipments directly from non-FFLs.

http://www.virginiaarms.com/

Guns & Ammo Warehouse in Nokesville is a very highly-regarded shop in these parts (I've not dealt with them myself). They also charge $30. Like Virginia Arms, they do not accept shipments from non-FFLs.

http://www.guns-ammo.us/page15.html

Hope that gets you started.
    "No one heals himself by wounding another." Saint Ambrose of Milan

"...a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Ps li:19

Did not catch the story, why does it have to go thru FFL? Is dad in diff state?
    Nickotym

Remember it is a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs. We don't have to prove a need to keep and bear arms.

It is illegal to transfer a handgun from state to state without using an FFL. That's a federal law. Also, different states impose their own restrictions. If you want to buy one of my guns, and you live in another state, I can't just wrap it up in peanuts and mail it to you. As for why shops treat it differently, it's a measure of pain-in-the-buttocks versus customer good will. If a dealer gets burned on a few of these deals, that tips the scale.

Understand, I'm not speaking for Virginia Arms, but merely conveying what I believe the company meant. Mr. Conaster explained that once he receives a pistol from a private party, it's logged in to his inventory. If something queers on the receiving end (the guy doesn't show, or doesn't pass his NICS check), then Virginia Arms is now saddled with a weapon, logged into its books, that it may have no desire or demand for. Nonetheless, it must now get rid of it. The seller has already been paid, so he doesn't give a damn, and Virginia Arms can't ship it back to him directly, so now Bernie has to dispose of it, legally, somehow. At least, that's how I understood it.

It became a royal pain in the buttocks, so he upped the transfer fee and stopped accepting transfers from private citizens.

YMMV, of course.
    "No one heals himself by wounding another." Saint Ambrose of Milan

"...a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Ps li:19

Nick, along with federal law on interstate transfers, NY state requires ALL pistol transfers to be done via an FFL, so that the pistol is accounted for in their (state) books - pistols are registered in NYS to an individual.

Dad had a permit, and when he died, his guns had to go to someone with a permit (who had to get permission to add them to his own permit first!), to an FFL for safekeeping and eventual sale, or to the police for safekeeping and eventual destruction (they'll hold for 2 years, supposedly, but it can be hard to get the guns released from police "safekeeping"). Dad's widow transferred his guns to his brother, who sold most of them for her, and they held the Colt for me because she knew that Dad had wanted me to have it, but did not apparently ever put it in his will, which makes this a "regular" sale- or interfamily-gift-type transfer (willed would be a little easier).

I should find out more this coming week about transfer details, and thought I should get some ideas about where they could send it - I'll do some calling around on Monday, I guess. It'll be coming from a NYS FFL, so no worries on that front, I could go with any of the places listed.

Thanks for the responses!
    Solve that."

Hope it goes well and enjoy using that gun when you get it.
    Nickotym

Remember it is a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs. We don't have to prove a need to keep and bear arms.

Getting in touch with Uncle Bill this week, as he needs to renew his permit by the end of next month and it would be best to have Dad's Colt transferred by then. Most likely going with Sterling Arsenal, I think.

Wife came to the gun show in Chantilly with me on Friday, and came away disinclined to learn more than basic firearms safety. She doubts her ability to effectively and safely use the Colt, having picked up one at the show, and says she's not interested enough to get a smaller pistol for her own use (we had looked at a Walther P22 as a possible training gun, and it did fit her hand, but she basically doesn't want to shoot, ever). The kids, on the other hand, have both expressed interest in learning not only safety but actual shooting as well; David is big enough that the Colt fits his hands (based on a full-sized Airsoft used to test that), and Alison is not dramatically undersized for it either. I don't especially want to start them on a .45, though, not even .45ACP which I don't think is all that bad. Looking into NRA Basic Pistol courses for all 4 of us, to teach safety and pistol use beyond what I can, and most in NoVA seem to offer .22 pistol or revolver rentals as part of the class. Pricy? A little, though not terribly so considering it's an 8-hour class with range time, fees, and rental costs built in - but what's my family's safety worth, right? Afterwards, my wife and kids will be able to make a firearm safe if they should happen on one, will understand what not to do with it, and will have at least a small amount of practice actually firing one. If Lori really doesn't want to do hands-on, then we'll have her take the Home Firearms Safety course instead, which is half the length and has no range time.
    Solve that."

It's here.

Pic at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater, for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

Series 70 Gold Cup, finish wear at the muzzle end of the slide from holstering - this was Dad's carry gun. Ambi safety, in stainless. Gave it a good cleaning, it's all back together and ready for some range time, which I won't be able to do until next week, unfortunately. Looking forward to it.

Sterling was utterly painless to work with. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have a real shop or showroom, but they had some neat stuff in the back that I got to ogle while waiting on the paperwork.

Lori and the kids are set for NRA's Basic Pistol class on the 30th; I'm working, and am familiar enough with firearms handling and safety anyways that I can't see a need to take the course. Ran Lori through a quick basic intro to the Colt, so that she can ensure it's safe if she finds it on the kitchen counter; she has trouble with the slide, and racked it slowly and softly enough that the snap-caps failed to eject every time. Stovepiped twice, and ended up falling through the enpty mag-well on re-racking all three times. I did not have that issue, so I don't think it's a problem with the extractor, or anything like that.
    Solve that."

Quote Originally Posted by erictank View Post
    Pic at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater, for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

I pretty love it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by BeatrizT View Post
    I pretty love it. Thanks for sharing!

Solve that."