Thread: "Stop the NRA!", Cries Indiana Reverend.

"Stop the NRA!", Cries Indiana Reverend.

The Reverend pulls out not only all the stops, but every cliche in the playbook, in a short concise letter to the Editor.

Of the Miami Herald,no less! It's for the children.

Trayvon Martin lies dead in Sanford, killed by a gun-toting vigilante. His murderer was free until last week.

On Feb. 27, T. J. Lane, brandishing a handgun, shot and killed two students at Chardon (Ohio) High School and injured four others.

On April 2, One Goh walked into Oikos University in Oakland, Calif., carrying a 45 caliber semi-automatic pistol. He killed seven students and wounded three others.

Who’s responsible for such carnage that seems to be an almost daily occurrence? Who has turned every American street, school and playground into an OK Corral?

The gun lobby, of course, with the complete cooperation of spineless politicians.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/1...#storylink=cpy
    Here is a little history of the Rev's town. Extreme N.E. Indiana!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

This is probably another one of those guys that carries a gun himself but don't
    want anyone else to have one.
    We got a lot of Ted Kennedy types in this country ( Ted could afford machine gun carrying body guards)

"Stop the NRA!", Cries Indiana Reverend.
    What a tool.
    I am not a real bullet, nor do I play one on television.

”Global Warming” ... Do we really need another religion ?

I can't say I ever remember passing thru his town, but I've spent a little time in Williams County, Ohio, immediately east.

Based on what I know of that area, I think the reverend has relatively few in his congregation that agree with him.....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Based on what I know of that area, I think the reverend has relatively few in his congregation that agree with him.....
    That was my thought when I discovered the location. Only a couple thousand souls there. Certainly seems to be rather conservative terrain.

Yet he must have a congregation of some sort. Perhaps he's a fiery spellbinder on Sunday!

Then again, so was Billy Sunday and the Reverend Coughlin.

There probably aren't many in his congregation, either. That part of the country is filled with small churches....

I myself spent a few years in similar towns, where a turnout of 5 dozen for Sunday service was pretty good. That's for us protestants. Some of the Catholic churches in those communities are fairly large....

Father Coughlin indeed. I'll save my dad's commentary on him for some other time.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Father Coughlin indeed. I'll save my dad's commentary on him for some other time.
    "Here comes Father Coughlin, wearin' a silver chain
    Gas on the stomach, and Hitler on the brain
    In Washington, in Washington"

Woody Guthrie, "America First"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k83WArW5XU

Woody could be nasty when wanted to...

(Sorry, completely off topic but I couldn't resist a Guthrie history lesson...)
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

Does mentioning Father Coughlin qualify as a corollary of Godwin's Law?
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Does mentioning Father Coughlin qualify as a corollary of Godwin's Law?
    My goodness,I hope not! I have an unbroken track record on never invoking Godwin!

Great poem on Coughlin,BH!

He's sort of a punch line now. But he was quite influential in his day, and even though his causes became unpopular and he was pushed off the air waves, he still carried some weight with some folks of a certain age -- I remember a few older folks talking about him in my youth.

He was closer to Rush Limbaugh than Pat Robertson, in my opinion.....
    Paul

Americans didn’t ask for this kind of “Stand Your Ground” atmosphere in our country
    I'm pretty sure we did. I know I don't like living in a state where the law requires you to retreat if attacked.

At least now, we can retreat while armed in Iowa.

I am willing to bet that SYG provisions were in place before they werent or that was just the way things were done. Now we are just going back to what makes sense(in most states).
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Oddly enough, here in Indiana a person with criminal intent forfeits the right to sue for liability on residential property. For instance, if you break into an occupied dwelling, trip on the cat and break a bone you cannot sue the homeowner and/or renter of the property.

IIRC the inspiration for that law came from a lawsuit in that general area.

Now that makes more sense than a lot of the SYG laws or Castle Doctrine provisions states have in place.
    Brandon

Hi Bruno,

Now that makes more sense than a lot of the SYG laws or Castle Doctrine provisions states have in place.
    Whole different critter actually, this was before my time but I'm told a home invader stepped on a child's skateboard and ended up with a concussion and multiple breaks in one leg. His parents successfully sued the rental agent for medical bills and 'pain and suffering.' Mr Gutwein (state representative) claims he even had letters of protest from four of the state prisons over that lawsuit and as a result the legislation was drafted, pushed through committee and voted into law in record time.

Thats bad when the inmates think something is unjust like the suit mentioned.
    Brandon

I would expand on this but it would be dragging the thread too far off topic.

One, it ain't about guns or NRA or white people. Recent invocations of SYG in Florida include minorities defending themselves from criminals using knife or icepick in self-defense. The extreme DTR advocates would want these folks in jail, using up what savings or retirement they have on lawyers, until found not guilty in court. That is the situation that SYG was written to cover: no probable cause to disbelieve the self-defense claim, the defender is free unless the investigation finds evidence the use of force was unlawful. You get jailed until you prove your innocence (or as prosecutors prefer, your "not guilt"), you are royally screwed.

Oddly enough, here in Indiana a person with criminal intent forfeits the right to sue for liability on residential property. For instance, if you break into an occupied dwelling, trip on the cat and break a bone you cannot sue the homeowner and/or renter of the property.
    Tennessee law is that a person perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate a felony on someone else's property cannot sue for accidental or intentional injuries as a result of their action.

I don't know how it has turned out in real cases in Tennessee, but it is outrageous to me that a burglar in NYC was crawling across a skylight, fell through and sued the owner for having a defective skylight. (There's a building code in NYC that skylights must support the weight of a burglar?)
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Hi Carl,

I don't know how it has turned out in real cases in Tennessee, but it is outrageous to me that a burglar in NYC was crawling across a skylight, fell through and sued the owner for having a defective skylight. (There's a building code in NYC that skylights must support the weight of a burglar?)
    You are not helping my 12 steps to ranting! It would appear that the trend in the land of US is that we are somehow in partnership with the criminals that invade our property. Case in point, if a burglar steals a sidearm while breaking and entering our home and later uses that arm to commit murder and mayhem we are liable as we didn't 'properly secure' the weapon to keep it out of his hands. Someone wiser than I told me that when the feral government learned that OSHA didn't apply to criminals they began the process to make their workplace safer by other means. To this day, I have to wonder whether or not he was serious.

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland in the Grand Soviet of Goucher College
    He's one of those guys who is okay with having MP5-wielding bodyguards, but nobody else can have weapons.
    Resident Liberal