Thread: Sherlock - the 2010+ UK miniseries

Sherlock - the 2010+ UK miniseries

So far, the best Sherlock Holmes adaptation I've seen. It's reasonably faithful to the original, and superbly written.

It is somewhat pro-gun that the characters seem unaffected by recent UK gun laws. Watson has a Sig 226 he gets to use in about one third of episodes, and some civilians have guns too - for example in the Baskerville affair, the rich guy who is going crazy has a handgun in his home, doesn't help him much though..

I doubt retired British military personnel can keep handguns..

Also, the character of Watson, despite being well-educated and an infantry veteran (is that plausible, medical doctor with the rank of captain being involved in actual combat? Most countries stick doctors in hospitals, too valuable)
    ... is made to be a bit of a everyman.

Though, whether people will get the message from it that it's okay if law-abiding people carry guns. I'm not sure... it's just there, but the message is in no way emphasized.

Still, some of the best TV of the last couple of years. Each episode better than that big-budget action monstrosity Hollywood is responsible for.

That is, if you don't mind the lack of explosions and violence.

That’s real change from what has been done to Sherlock from the original. Buy a book on Sherlock in America and you’ll find Watson no longer has his revolver and Sherlock no longer uses cocaine.

If they’re using guns in the UK it must be in some parallel universe.
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

I don't know. Then, imagining retired armed forces officer being allowed to carry weapons... not so hard IMO.

I mean, why the hell not? I don't think it's legally allowed, but would not be surprised.

Speaking of cocaine, I think it's mentioned in the series Sherlock used some, was never addicted, but later switched to nicotine patches... which he uses regularily.

In the original Sherlocks he used cocaine to improve thinking.

"Quick, Watson, the needle!"

I don't know about the nicotine patches. Seems like a modern addition, inasmuch as there were no nicotine patches during Sherlock's era.
    No people should have to fear the will of their government; all governments should have to fear the will of their people.

Also, they're less addictive than cocaine.

Back when Sherlock Holmes was written.. cocaine was heavily popular. Even wine had cocaine in it sometimes.

Cocaine is not that addictive, numbers I've seen suggest 15% of regular users develop an addiction inside two years. I know of people who've been using it sometimes for decades .. and never got addicted.

Still..I'd say health-wise, nicotine is way less risky.

From what I know, in Europe, a good number of rich & powerful use it, and damn few are addicted.

There was a study in Italy, they measured concentrations of cocaine metabolites in the river Po (Pad? .. you know, the biggest river in northern Italy) .... actual use was like 10x what they expected to find.