Thread: inexpensive 357 mag or 9mm?

inexpensive 357 mag or 9mm?

i traded around and have a little money to spend, i have $300 max to spend and no more. if i try and save more it would only be about $20 a month so it would be next year before i could get a more expensive gun. i only have a heritage rough rider loaded with 22 mag for defense now when i go walking and hiking, i would like to get a bigger caliber but don't know yet which way to go. i'm leaning to 2 calibers a 357 mag revolver as i'm a revolver guy and they make great woods guns. or a 9mm even though i don't like auto's that well they tend to cost less for people on a budget. also i will have to have my local shop order it as i can't order online and have it shipped to them as they don't do that, but they offer good prices. and the nearest dealer that does is 80 miles away thats 160 round trip so gas would take care of any savings i could get. now i have a 12 gauge for home defense with pistol grip and it wouldn't be bad to hike with but since i have a little money i thought i would try and get another handgun. i'm up for any suggestions on any guns that fit my budget, i know in the long run you get what you pay for, but just need one now to last untill i can get a better one. also how would 38+p be against hog or feral dogs?, i've looked online at alot of revolvers from eaa to taurus as for auto's i don't know much about them. thanks for any help.

Hi, boomer--

My local gun shop has two used S&W Sigma 9mms (SW9s), each for well below $300. .357s for that price? Not even close.

$300 is a pretty tough price point for a decent revolver, but if you are a good shopper you improve your odds.

Look used. Charter Arms makes a respectable 357. Taurus -- there are mixed opinions, some get a good gun, some get a lemon. Rugers and Smiths won't be as cheap, but you might find a good deal.

If I was woods hiking in KY, I'd rather have a revolver than a 9. But I am prejudiced......

A high quality 38 is not a bad gun either.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Administrator   
    I was going to recommend the Rock Island Armory MAP-1 or MAPP-1 (steel and poly, respectively), but their prices have risen above your budget. These are the old-school Witness pistols (EAA owns the rights to the Witness name, and the current Witness line is the "one frame for all calibers" model). These are made by Armscor under license from Tanfoglio and are sold under the Tanfoglio brand outside the USA.

With your budget, you're looking at the Sigma, for better or worse.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Administrator    
    Revolvers preferred, here. You can find a 4" .38 special Smith, used, for under $300. Maybe or maybe not made into DAO/hammerless. Wouldn't matter, though, with the sight-radius provided by 4" of barrel (plus, good velocity numbers for .38 special out of 4", and heavy .38 special lead HP/WC's). Still plenty of security/police turn/trade-ins around, though the price has increased a little. This would be my first pick. I made do with a 4" Smith .38/.357 (and a .38/.357 snub) for nearly a decade, shotgun and a .38 will do just fine.

Keltec PF9/P11. Heavier DAO pull, similar to (not exactly the same as) a revolver. Also, the Bersa Thunder and Stoeger put a 9mm out there similar to the more expensive Beretta, read good reviews.

Thesecond has some good info on revolvers, except that I don't see nearly as many around here as he talks about seeing.

There are still a few S&W 5906 trade ins out there under $300.00 and Ruger P series 9 mms usually show up in that price range, but not many police trade ins there, very few if any departments issued them, so very few trade ins.

Keep an eye open for single action .357s too. Not as great for self defense, but perfectly handy as a woods gun.

Lots of trade in stuff out there in .40 S&W but that caliber is not on your short list.

Buckshot

Administrator    
    You're not bothering your local LGS enough, buckshot. One of the locals here got boxes of trade-ins a month or two ago.

Security/police trade-ins, Ruger service/security 6's under $400, 4" K-frames $300-350, even a model 36 sold locally (DAO, scuffs on cylinder) for $285.

JGSales has model 64's starting at $260.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecond View Post
    You're not bothering your local LGS enough, buckshot. One of the locals here got boxes of trade-ins a month or two ago.

Security/police trade-ins, Ruger service/security 6's under $400, 4" K-frames $300-350, even a model 36 sold locally (DAO, scuffs on cylinder) for $285.

JGSales has model 64's starting at $260.
    Only have ONE LGS, down side of the oscillation now. Had up to 14 at one time, but owners were all of about the same age. Retired and quit, or died and family closed shop or just plain quit. We have ONE local shop, one MC Sports (no used at all, but will sell surplus) and two Super Wal-Marts.

Doesn't help that everyone here changed in the late '80s or so and then again in the mid '90s. Most of them have good stuff now and won't change again for years. Local PD carries SIGs in 6 mm P, SO carries HK PSPs in .45 ACP, most small departments issue S&W or Glocks in 9 MM or .40 S&W or they carry privately owned, which often is a Glock.

Know several in different departments, keep ears open for trade-ins, has not been one in more than 10 years now.

SO usually has nothing to trade, they let deputies buy first if they want then, then the special deputies and finally the Posse (both horse and motorcycle) buy any left over.

No armed security here. What once was was replaced by DOD Police. Other potential armed posts covered by off duty deputies or special deputies working in uniform. Private armed security never really got a hold here.

Buckshot

S&W model 10 in 38 special,

Charter arms Bulldog 357 / 38 or 44 special

I have seen both well under $300 at local stores in the last couple months.

The 4 inch target bulldog will take some hunting, but it is a wonderful trail gun IMHO, and .44special is a find defense cartridge, even if you do not reload. Reloading makes it even better.

Also while not on my top ten, rossi .357's tend to be pretty low cost for carry a lot, shoot a little guns. As perhaps older tarus which owns rossi now.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecond View Post
    Revolvers preferred, here. You can find a 4" .38 special Smith, used, for under $300. Maybe or maybe not made into DAO/hammerless. Wouldn't matter, though, with the sight-radius provided by 4" of barrel (plus, good velocity numbers for .38 special out of 4", and heavy .38 special lead HP/WC's). Still plenty of security/police turn/trade-ins around, though the price has increased a little. This would be my first pick. I made do with a 4" Smith .38/.357 (and a .38/.357 snub) for nearly a decade, shotgun and a .38 will do just fine.
    As another revolver guy, I second that. If you're prepared to accept 38 Special rather than .357, then there's still a lot of Police surplus 4 in barreled Model 10s and 64s around in your price range. J&G has Mod 64's from $270 to $300 - http://www.jgsales.com/handguns-c-16_211_431.html

If you want something with a little less wear, or you insist on the .357, then its probably still possible - but will take a lot of searching and patience. I was in almost exactly your situation 3 years ago - I spent about 3 months continuously tracking things on Gunbroker before I caught a near-mint condition S&W Model 38 (shrouded-hammer snubnose- exactly what I was looking for) for $275. Yes, I "got lucky", but as the saying goes, sometimes the good luck goes to the people who do the work: If I'd been just a little faster "off the mark" I could have got a Model 49 (.357) for $300, and I chose the Model 38 shrouded-hammer over a 95% Model 36 for $250...

30 seconds on Gunbroker shows me this, for instance:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=290230132 - Taurus .357 snubnose, reserve $300, no bids with 11 hours to go
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

.357 or 9mm

You might try a Ruger P95 9mm it is dependable and accurate and inexpensive.

Why choose one or the other when you can have one gun for both!

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html

I <3 my Blackhawk Bisley convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, and I'm sure these are just as wonderful.

And the so-called sovereigns, in these different governments, are simply the heads, or chiefs, of different bands of robbers and murderers.

-Lysander Spooner

Pity Norinco's are not available over in the states.

I'm selling my NC 226 since it's surplus to my needs, for like $280 or so..

Post is a year old and OP never posted how/what he did.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08 & 09'
    Afghanistan: 09,10' & 11'