Thread: carried???

carried???

Where can handguns not be carried?

Smile

ameliewakelin:

It's really a state dependent issue. For example, I think it's SC that makes Funeral Homes off-limits, but it's not the case here in OH....

(Generally, Federal locations are also off limits, and most states lock out prisons, most government buildings, and most primary schools.)

So, a real answer depends on where you are....

If you're just looking for states that match your license, "handgunlaw.us" is the place to go.

If you need to know about where you can carry in your own state, your state's Attorney General should have a web page with this information, or a link to it.

Regards,
    Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

Stu gives you a great general answer; perhaps if you have a more specific question about carry into a particular place within a particular jurisdiction.

I would also point out that Federal buildings are usually off-limits for legal carry of handguns, as are schoolgrounds. Not only states, but occasionally individual towns and cities will have their own additoinal restrictions.

The penalties vary, too, from none at all (unless you refuse to leave when asked) to serious jail time.

Depends on what state you are inquiring about.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Where can they be carried? Anywhere on the body where a holster can be made to work. I have yet to see a nose holster.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Where can they be carried? Anywhere on the body where a holster can be made to work. I have yet to see a nose holster.
    Aw hey, I slide a 155 grain FMJ 9mm right up my left nostril, a little pepper to the right,

I can get 25 yards, easy. Great for unforseen emergencies...

Here in Utah, the places one CANNOT carry a concealed weapon:
    1. Places of worship belonging to the Mormon Church.
    2. Schools (though the University of Utah allows concealed carry).
    3. Federal buildings, including post offices.
    4. Private residences, unless you have permission of the owner.
    5. Any private or public establishment (including residences) that prominently displays a sign at its entry notifying that concealed weapons are not permitted. "Prominent" display is subjective. I've seen hospital entrances with nothing more than a 3" button on the doorframe displaying a handgun in a red circle with a diagonal stripe across it. It behooves the carrier to look carefully at doorframes and entries.

You can still carry a concealed weapon into a bank or bar, but it would be very unwise to drink alcohol while in the bar. If a shooting did occur, the presence of alcohol in your blood could be used to suggest negligence on your part.
    The same restrictions apply to open carry.
    Open carry is a political statement that makes shooters lose far more supporters than it creates. It is also viewed as a challenge by some: "You think you're so tough with that gun? I'll show you!"
    You're far better off to carry concealed, very discretely.
    This childish, lunatic "Open Carry" affectation will erode our right to carry overall, in my opinion. I rarely see an openly displayed handgun, but those that do seem to also carry an arrogance that is openly displayed.
    "And therein did I see an ugly cat. Blue smoke. Brimstone. Holes in paper. And this ugly cat was much amused." --- the prophesies of Gatodamus (1503 - 1566).

You had me agreeing with you right up to this point;
    This childish, lunatic "Open Carry" affectation will erode our right to carry overall, in my opinion. I rarely see an openly displayed handgun, but those that do seem to also carry an arrogance that is openly displayed.
    What a prejudicial way to look at exercising Constitutional Rights! Perhaps you would like to know that AZ has had lawful open carry for 100 years now, and not only has it NOT "eroded" any of our rights, we now have Constitutional Carry, where no permit or license is needed to carry either openly or concealed. I have seen thousands of open carried firearms in this state, including about 20 individuals yesterday, and I detected no arrogance about it, not "brandishing" in any way, merely having a holstered sidearm as casually as you might have your sheathed Leatherman displayed. Guess what - nobody got shot, nobody ran and screamed in panic...but this is Arizona. We have a tradition that dates back a ways.
    I carried openly within the law for years here, until we started getting our CCW permits starting in 1994. I do prefer to carry concealed, but as an individual choice, not a forced requirement.

ameliewakelin, check with your local gunshop/range for a line on a good trainer in your area. Find your state and local official websites, and start researching your laws yourself, plus get the training establishments in your area official opinions.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Open carry is a political statement that makes shooters lose far more supporters than it creates. It is also viewed as a challenge by some: "You think you're so tough with that gun? I'll show you!"
    You're far better off to carry concealed, very discretely.
    Really, you have had people come and say to you: "You think you're so tough with that gun? I'll show you!"? Oh wait, you don't believe in open carry so it can't have happened to you. You just read it on the Internet? Heard it from your uncle's cousin's wife's brother? So it must be true? C'mon people, get real. Please don't treat other people on this forum as if they lack intelligence.

To the OP,
    One place to look up what you want to know is :
    http://handgunlaw.us/

*sorry, Stu already mentioned this

Smile

xl_target:

I was going to ask what I'd went and done this time, but....

I think I've seen this post on more than one board in the last few days - here, maybe the other THR, and maybe even the USCCA board.

Never a response from the OP, either.

Getting suspicious in my old age....

Open Carry - I'd rather not, but I like the option, mostly to avoid things like the problem in TX where almost all "printing" is a violation of somebody's having a bad day. Here in OH, it's a "right", although a lot of people don't understand it.

Regards,
    Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם